Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How far did you make it; and are you going to buy Tribunal?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

1) Don't remember my level, but I played until I realized how broken and worthless this game was.

2) No I will not buy Tribunal. It will just add more broken, unbalanced gameplay to an already flawed game.
Post Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:42 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Llama

1) .......how broken and worthless this game was.

2) ......broken, unbalanced gameplay to an already flawed game.

Sweeping conclusions. And sorry to hear about the bad experiences; but don't you think you bought the wrong type of CRPG?
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:49 am
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hands down the best quest mod I've played is Moon's Spawn by Calladan Brood. Let's just say it puts Bethesda to shame...

I beat the main quest in Morrowind in about 20 hours and it took me almost that long to finish Moon's Spawn at level 30. I think you can get ahold of the mod at either www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/ or morrowindfiles.com. One or the other should have the latest version. Like I said, I *highly* recommend it if Tribunal is not an option at this time or if you just don't feel like shelling out the cash for more of the same (which, having played Tribunal for about 3 hours now is pretty much all it is... more of the same)
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:07 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
quote:
Originally posted by Llama

1) .......how broken and worthless this game was.

2) ......broken, unbalanced gameplay to an already flawed game.

Sweeping conclusions. And sorry to hear about the bad experiences; but don't you think you bought the wrong type of CRPG?

WTF are you talking about? Do you me to write an essay on why I feel Morrowind was the biggest piece of shit RPG to be released in recent history?

Remember, quantity does not equal QUALITY...
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:08 am
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

BOOOOO to Morrowind bashers !!!!!!! Morrowind rocks! cheers to fellow Morrowind lovers everywhere
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:28 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Gish
BOOOOO to Morrowind bashers !!!!!!! Morrowind rocks! cheers to fellow Morrowind lovers everywhere

Why does Morrowind "Rock", exactly? I found nothing that was particularly exceptional about it except its bloated size and many thing that were underdeveloped or broken. Please tell me, so i can possibly ring out a bit of enjoyment from my purchase. Maybe I missed something.
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:34 am
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

Just accept the fact Morrowind sucked big time for one guy (Llama) and rocked for another guy (Gish). Never forget that both opinions are subjective.
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:32 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I'm with you Gish ! Morrowind rocks!
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:05 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Imago Storm
Just accept the fact Morrowind sucked big time for one guy (Llama) and rocked for another guy (Gish). Never forget that both opinions are subjective.

Sure, that is easy to accept, but one fact of life is that opinions without support don't influence others to share that opinion. That is why I requested reasons for the opinion that "Morrowind rocks!", so that I can re-evaluate my own. Gish obviously wants to influence other's opinions or he wouldn't have post this message for all to see.
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:41 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

@Imago Storm - Very good points!.

@Llama - Everyone prefer (or like to play) certain type of CRPGs based on their own taste, that's what i mean and why i said you might have bought the wrong game. Now, don't take this as an insults. Personally i also bought certain wrong CRPGs, although rarely since i always check up numerous game informations, to make sure it's a game that right for my preferences (gameplay, graphic & sound, etc). If you don't like MW, it doesn't DIRECTLY proves that MW is bad. I am sure you could list out hundreds of reasons why MW is bad, but most important is the legitimate complaints (not from personal likes or dislikes which based on subjectivity). In fact, if you list out all the grievances, i probably would agree with most of your points because games always come with weaknesses, include MW. However, i don't think your really put MW on it own merits with the statement "Morrowind was the biggest piece of shit RPG to be released in recent history." I see it as unnecessary hatred/hostility which is incompatible to a fair judgment on any games. See alos my comments below.

@Jung - I don't think the question "Why does Morrowind 'Rock'" really matter much, if you consider the type of gameplay elements existed in MW. For example, i say MW rocks because i like the game's lore, and it's the best i ever read compare to other CRPGs i ever played. You would probably say "Bah, i never like to read or will careless about the game's lore/books available in MW." Now, for another example, i like the open ended game world and free form exploration. However, i remember read somewhere (on Bethesda forum's i guess) some players really dislike them and instead prefer more structural quest system and explorations. There's other examples to show other gameplay elements and game designs existed in MW, but it's enough to show that these elements is not for everyone. For me - game's lore (for setting), open ended nature gameplay, and few other plus points is already enough to outweigh all the game's weaknesses. So, if you don't like these kind of elements in game, of course you'll "found nothing that was particularly exceptional" in MW. Sure, NPCs A.I & animation could be better, also the annoying Fex-ed quest, but you simply couldn't possible to put everything in MW, and IMHO the open ended nature (& related designs) of MW would goes against the implementation of detail NPCs dialogs, complex quests system & such.

@Endnotes: We could always complaints about a games need these or need that or should have put this in game, etc, etc - why don't we put ourselves in developer shoes and then maybe we'll see more than ourselves...
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:42 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Sure, our opinions are subjective, but I'm sure that some will carry more weight. Personally, I hated every second that I played past the top of the House Telvanni. Up until then, I was held in a sense of awe and hope that there would be some sort of climax before I got to live in my grand mushroom. There wasn't. Disappointed, I went back to the Main Quest, where I had to trudge through level ~4 dungeons with my level 25 destruct-o-wizard. Every third creature had the drain strength ability. Don't get me started about encumberment... I quit in that dungeon and removed the game from my hard drive. Regardless of how many people ask me to or tell me to, so long as there is no monetary incentive to do so, I will not willingly reinstall that game and play it again. Whether be it caused by static NPC's, little spoken dialogue, constant bugs, gross errors in difficulty scaling, critical errors with Bethesda-made mods, minute FPS rates, the humdrum quests, or whatever else maddened me such that I felt compelled to remove the game I have already passed judgement upon it.

Happy?
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:05 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by remus
However, i don't think your really put MW on it own merits with the statement

It's nothing special once you take away the fancy graphics. What possible merits could anyone give the game?

Pros:
Graphics
Big world (also a negative)
Music (also a negative)

Cons:
AI
NPC staleness
Level advancement system
Unbalanced gameplay
Game world (too large for the level of quality in the game)
Music (only 2-3 tracks, constantly repeating)
Quests are nearly all fed-ex then there is no reasonable resolution to them once completed... For instance; so as not to spoil I'll use one in the beginning. The bandit/lover girl quest, at the end she claims they are going to meet up, yet she remains there the entire game, while he stands in the tavern the entire game. At least make them disappear or something, to show some type of completion...
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:43 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Now see how a normal topic slowly spirals towards a flame war. *class looks at expample*
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:50 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by FireAnt
Now see how a normal topic slowly spirals towards a flame war. *class looks at expample*

The only people that will get flamed are the people that cry "flame war" when there is none. Beware of what you wish for. Nobody is being rude, nobody is being nasty, yet you seem compelled to cry flame because opinions are differing.
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:02 am
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I was implying nothing of the sort. I was simply making a observation about how people originaly talking about how far they made and if they would buy tribunal then someone said they did not like morrowind and was not going to buy tribunal ( I didn't say there was anything wrong with that).

I didn't say this topic was a flame war i said that is heading in that dirrection. And to avoid that i posted my last post.
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:56 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next