Thank you Sir Tech!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thank you Sir Tech!

I got Wizardry 8 when it came out last year. I had it shipped from the U.S. since it wasn't published in Europe yet since I have played Wizardry 6 and 7 and enjoyed them immensely. Due to work and such I didn't really get to delve into the game until recently. I have now spent some time with the game, and I must congratulate Sir-Tech on a job well done. Some people may dismiss this game as boring old school CRPG, but for me it has been a breath of fresh air compared to the current crop of CRPGs which mainly focus on gloss but ultimately lack personality and character which Wizardry 8 has in abundance.

Rarely have NPCs, and even my own party members made me laugh so much out loud like in this game. From Sparkle's, "Enemy! Victory, Duty, Power!" battlecry to Don Barlone's Brandoesque mumblings, not to mention the host of quirky monsters I have run into (Swallower anyone?), this game clearly shows so much class and what can only be described as a labor of love by it's developers.

So, thank you again Sir-Tech for yet another great game, and here's one player hoping for another new Wizardry game in the future.
Post Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:58 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Re: Thank you Sir Tech!

quote:
Originally posted by Thormiel
I got Wizardry 8 when it came out last year. I had it shipped from the U.S. since it wasn't published in Europe yet since I have played Wizardry 6 and 7 and enjoyed them immensely. Due to work and such I didn't really get to delve into the game until recently. I have now spent some time with the game, and I must congratulate Sir-Tech on a job well done. Some people may dismiss this game as boring old school CRPG, but for me it has been a breath of fresh air compared to the current crop of CRPGs which mainly focus on gloss but ultimately lack personality and character which Wizardry 8 has in abundance.

Yep

Wizardry 8 has those quirky old school charms, but it also has those quirky old school aggravations

My favorite scene was when my felpurr Samurai came back from Al-S a bit *ruffled*

- Wind
Post Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:42 am
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Heheh, I wish the other upcoming CRPGs learn and copy Wiz 8's way of making NPCs more interesting and fun. I really love Sparkle so far. Too bad I heard she won't be accompanying my party to the end. Her comment about how tall the mook was had me laughing so hard.
Post Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:20 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Big THANK YOU to all Sir-Tech program-designers.

I really hope that Ian and Linda Currie and the rest of the staff will continue to produce Wizardry and Jagged Alliance games. It is not necessary that this new games have the old names, but the spirit of Wizardry and Jagged Alliance have to live on.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:49 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, Wizardry 8 is my beloved RPG.

And boring old school RPG?
..it was my nearly first RPG (I played only Diablo I and II before it), first RPG for hard FPS fan. And it changed me and RPGs are now nearly only games I play.

After experiences with Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights etc., Wizardry is still the best...
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:49 pm
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
Yes, Wizardry 8 is my beloved RPG.

And boring old school RPG?
..it was my nearly first RPG (I played only Diablo I and II before it), first RPG for hard FPS fan. And it changed me and RPGs are now nearly only games I play.

After experiences with Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights etc., Wizardry is still the best...

A convert! You should try the Baldur's Gates (there was one NPC who I finally killed because his egomaniacal ranting got on my nerves ) and especially Planescape, which has an incredibly rich RPing world. Another one I really liked is Arcanum, which is a crackup in terms of role playing. There's a whorehouse in the main city..well..never mind.
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:00 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Phhhhhtt!

The BG series (at least BG1, since I never bought BG2) is terribly bland if you're into character development. Capped at level 7? Just 7 chances to grow your character? A pox on the game, I say!
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:02 pm
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Phhhhhtt!

The BG series (at least BG1, since I never bought BG2) is terribly bland if you're into character development. Capped at level 7? Just 7 chances to grow your character? A pox on the game, I say!

Phhhhhtt back at ya!

Different character development. Plus BGII had a higher level cap - and the Throne of Baal addon removed the level cap altogether. Plus after a certain level, each class gained certain class-related personal skills, spells, etc. That was big fun. And some truly cool weapons.

In the BG series you're only playing with one character (unless you're like me, in which case you fake multiuser to have a party all your own), and add NPCs as you choose. And the NPCs, like Wiz8, have agendas all their own. Some will stay with you (especially if you sleep with them ), and others will come and go at will depending on their own needs. Plus there are quests that you only get when a certain NPC is in your party, which makes adding and discarding NPCs fun.

There's really no comparison. Hands down, I think the Wiz series has more options for character development. But I think most of the major games have their own charm. I just take each series on its own merits and don't make comparisons.

(Unless we're talking about Vampire: The Masquerade, the final Ultima or Pool of Radiance II, in which case I say BURN THAT BABY! )
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Oh yeah? Well..

quote:
Originally posted by Rhea
In the BG series you're only playing with one character (unless you're like me, in which case you fake multiuser to have a party all your own), and add NPCs as you choose. And the NPCs, like Wiz8, have agendas all their own.
I think this might be another factor that turned me off BG. I really prefer to create my own party from the beginning. Even in Wiz8, I've only picked up RPCs long enough to complete quests. Last time I started the game, I even planned on dragging Vi around for her story elements. After I saved her, I dumped her- I just couldn't do it. It's a weakness I have...
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:19 pm
otter
One of Us

Yah, i never consort with RPC's, the only time i did in W-8 (aside from rescuing Vi and using Madras to make 2X-xbows) was in my first duo; i took RFS-82 along to help from MB to Brekek.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:26 am
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What irks me in the Bioware RPGs are the way they put gold and stuffs in barrels and crates in really illogical places. Take NWN for example. Here I am in the slums and I find gold lying around in crates and barrels all over the streets.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:51 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Oh yeah? Well..

quote:
In the BG series you're only playing with one character (unless you're like me, in which case you fake multiuser to have a party all your own), and add NPCs as you choose. And the NPCs, like Wiz8, have agendas all their own.
I think this might be another factor that turned me off BG. I really prefer to create my own party from the beginning. Even in Wiz8, I've only picked up RPCs long enough to complete quests. Last time I started the game, I even planned on dragging Vi around for her story elements. After I saved her, I dumped her- I just couldn't do it. It's a weakness I have...

Well I think that the point of BG was to try to put you in the role of your one single character, and not be a symbiotic sentient being composed of 6 portraits It's like Fallout, you take what you get in the world, be it a lovable little dog that follows you around or a whiny half-elf fighter/druid named Jaheira. You can't choose exactly who your companions are, just like in life you can't choose exactly who your friends are; you can choose between people, but you can't make them in your ideal image.

Besides, the point was also for the main character to interact with the NPCs, which Baldur's Gate II did pretty darn well. Some of your NPCs may squabble with each other, and in severe cases may even attack each other! You have a choice of 3 romances as a male, 1 as a female (hey, they know who the majority of their audience is ). Sometimes your companions would advise you on certain things, and a lot of them had their own quirky way of viewing things (Edwin was using *me* as a tool for power ) All of this made my Baldur's Gate party feel like an actual party composed of people with their own agendas, despite the fact that you could control them... Wiz 8 certainly did not have that feel, except with the RPCs, who I made sure to have in my party whenever I could. To get around the fact that RPCs would leave your party in certain areas, I would just set a portal in that forbidden area, go back to RPC, and teleport in They act like they're hexed, but it's good for Saxx, because all he has to do it play his instruments.

Oh yeah, and about the level advancement in BG, it's true that you won't be satisfied if controlling your character's physical development is very important to you. However, I'm a type of gamer who would be satisfied staying at the same level the whole game, as long as different challenges and experiences were thrown my way. And it does happen in BG I, because each level is very significant, allowing you to do different things that previously may not have been possible (e.g. a big level is level 5, for that is when your mage first gets a level 3 spell --> fireball, which can be the difference in a boss battle) It comes down to a matter of taste; but to me, both Wiz 8 and BG series are fine wasters of time

- Wind
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:26 pm
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

^

My feeling exacty. Loved them both. Baldur's Gate and Planescape are incredily rich, diverse worlds (Planescape is almost indescribable, but big fun). I actually have an addon mod for BGII, The Darkest Day, sitting and calling my name. I started it once before and found it big fun, but went back to Wiz8 for a while.

They're both great games, though. If I had to give points, I'd hand all of the points for originality to BG but all the points for party flexibity (and the FP view) to Wiz8.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:31 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Windwalking
Oh yeah, and about the level advancement in BG, it's true that you won't be satisfied if controlling your character's physical development is very important to you.
I'm told I have a controlling personality... You know that chart in the beginning of the manual that lists the bonus skill points by race and class? Using the demo, I generated much of that chart before the game was even released. Several people asked me to send them the spreadsheet so they could "optimize" their party, too. Guess I'm not the only one that gets anal about party/character development.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:18 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
^

My feeling exacty. Loved them both. Baldur's Gate and Planescape are incredily rich, diverse worlds (Planescape is almost indescribable, but big fun). I actually have an addon mod for BGII, The Darkest Day, sitting and calling my name. I started it once before and found it big fun, but went back to Wiz8 for a while.

They're both great games, though. If I had to give points, I'd hand all of the points for originality to BG but all the points for party flexibity (and the FP view) to Wiz8.
For me, BG got stuck in the middle. Wiz8 is masterful with character development. Planescape has the most unique story (and "conversational" adventuring) of any game I've played. BG does both, but neither one terribly well. Perhaps I should have given BG2 a chance, but I've crapped out around chapter 4 or 5 so many times with BG1 that I just didn't want to waste the money.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:26 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next