Usergroups
Most underrated and overrated RPGS
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Black_Lord
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

[quote="Schattenherz"]Underrated: Fate - Gates of Dawn; I guess it was the most complex CRPG ever ... I guess that was over ten Years ago ... (Up to 28 Characters to command (you could control 4 parties at the same time), 12 Races, countless Classes ... all needed Food, Water and Rest ...)

Schattenherz, I thank you for mentioning this ancient amiga game which I never played. Even though there is little information about it in the present day, I managed to get the game running on the Fellow emulator.

It gets my vote for the most underated rpg, not to mention my favorite game this year even though it was released something like eleven years ago. If any of you can play a game with dated graphics, and can deal with an emulator, I recommend trying it!

Graphically it is about par with a 16 bit Genesis game. But I have never seen a rpg with so much gameplay.

As for over-hyped, Morrowind and Baldurs gate 2 ( I so wanted to like them) gets my vote. (Tie)
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:43 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Diablo is definitely overrated.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:35 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
quote:
Originally posted by mkreku
Overrated:
Diablo I/II

What do you find overrated there? I think it is one of the most justly rated games. There is nothing neither over, nor underrated about both of the games

Well, in Sweden Diablo 2 was marketed as the ultimate RPG that would fulfill your every gaming need/dream. People were actually sleeping in tents outside some gaming stores to make sure they were the first to get the game when it was released. I managed to get hold of a copy in the first few days, but when I installed it and started it up it was nothing more than "click spastically on all monsters that nears you and drink lots of potions". Diablo 2 is the ONLY game I've ever returned to the store after buying it (and that was only made possible because the store had run out of copies and people were screaming for more).

A few years later I found Diablo (the original) in a bargain bin, but it was exactly the same as Diablo 2, only worse.

I'm not saying these are bad games, they're obviously not since so many people love them, but they just didn't have what it takes to make me like them.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

HA! Speaking of highly overrated games, my list is currently topped by Dungeon Siege, most definately. I am a huge fan of both Diablos, but DS is just pure mockery. The only good thing in it was the grafics, whereas it doesn't even have real gameplay at all. All I had to do was click around to move my lead character, and if i had any companions they killed most of the creatures around. And that is just plain ... i don't know what.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:19 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I thoroughly enjoyed Diablo as an action click-fest but Diablo 2 I just don't get (except as a MP game). It lacked the atmosphere of the original, had very average graphics for it's time but most importantly didn't even attempt to create a believable world and quests. Kill Blood Raven. Come back tomorrow and she's back. Eh?
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:44 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I feel the same way, Dhruin. I enjoyed Diablo because for its time it was a very clever game that had a lot of atmosphere but D2 not only lost most of that atmosphere it, in my opinion, lost some of the fun factor. I'm at a loss for words to describe why it lost the fun factor... When compairing the two Diablos the first was inovative and clever for its time but the second wasn't all that interesting by the time it was released... There, I think that is what I've been trying to say...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:59 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I liked both Diablo 1 and 2... despite them being birdy-view. They had atmospheric movies and a history I thoroughly enjoyed!
But Dungeon Siege...

...hmmm, that one bored the heck out of me. I can't even tell you why... the story didn't interest me a bit (if there was any, don't remember). It was one of those very few games (along with BG, NWN and Max Payne) I deleted before I had finished them. Best thing about DS were the donkeys...
As for most overrated - in my eyes DS is *not* one of them, however. Most of my friends and acquaintances didn't like it, either, plus, reviews weren't all that favorable.

I can't empathize with people who liked BG, though. For some unfathomable reason that game bored me just as much, perhaps because of the quite generic fantasy background (Forgotten Realms having been my least favorite of all AD&D settings). It was nothing new, there was nothing special about it IMO, and I can't understand people raving about the NPCs which, once again in my opinion, were just as average as the whole gaming atmosphere. So I'd call that one overrated.

One of the currently most underrated games is, in my opinion, Silent Storm. It may have small levels, but the tactical element is pretty strong (it's one of the few RBTs which caught my eye and managed to keep my interest, along with JA/JA2 and Cyberstorm back then), and so is the physics engine. Very impressive for a birdy game.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:57 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Jaz:

try Jagged Alliance 2 - Urban Chaos. Some bugs but it is a new JA 2 expirience.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:22 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Oh, I will, don't worry .
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:56 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Diablo 1 was a pretty cool game when it came out. Graphics were nice for the time, and it was one of the first new games that reminded me of older hack'n'slash RPGs like NetHack, Arcane Arena of Magic etc.
Diablo 2 was more of the same old thing, but with better variety. However, the Diablo games real strength were in multiplayer pvp, where you could hack around mindlessly for hours. As for monsters returning, that seems to be the Blizzard policy; "fun" (in this case more h'n'h) goes ahead of realism.

DS was/is a bit like NWN. Horrible single-player, but the real strength lies in modding, and multiplayer. And, there have been several enjoyable mods to DS.
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:56 am
Dhruin

I don't mind monsters repopulating but specific individuals that I had quests to destroy returning ruins it for me. Diablo didn't do this and I can't see the advantage. Doesn't really matter - games like Divinity that offer the action with much more depth suit me better, anyway.
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:27 am
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

IMHO

Most Overrated :

1. All Star Wars games ( 2 out of 3 are below average at best ).
2. Diablo 2 ( i like playing it for its simplicity, but that dosn't change the fact how overrrated it is ).

Most Underrated :

1. Dungeon Master ( Ave ATARI ST )
2. Arcanum ( this really is a great game, i'am playing it now )
3. Fallout 1 / 2 / Tactics ( the only bad thing is that there is no Fallout 3 coming out any time soon )
4. Omikron ( This game might have alot of minuses but it's atmosphere was fantastic, and hey it has David Bowie in it )
5. Vampire
6. Wizardry games ( They are actually pretty good once you get pass the old 3d grafix )
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:38 am
Lord Chambers
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Most Overrated: Morrowind

Most Underrated: ...I use my vote to once again pick Morrowind as most overrated.
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:49 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Chambers
Most Overrated: Morrowind

Most Underrated: ...I use my vote to once again pick Morrowind as most overrated.

Ahhhhh ... an other MW fan boy
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:18 pm
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

i cannot understand what you guys have against dungeon siege. It's a pretty damn good Hack'n'Slash game, for me, better than diablo.

and Gothic 1/2 is definitely not underrated. At least where i live.

most overrated: Morrowind (lame story and lots of boring text to read -> no fun for the ->average<- roleplay gamer)

most underrated: Summoner and Grandia 2
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next