Another new wiz8 player
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
KasperFauerby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Another new wiz8 player

Well, I tried the game some years back but never really got into it. But now, given the really dry season for RPGs, I was looking for a new RPG-fix and got my eyes on Wiz8 again. It seems to have gotten quite nice reviews and a dedicated fan base. I had a hard time finding the game in the shops so I eventually imported it from UK using ebay. Just got it in the mail today

Anyways, I'm off to try out the game now. Been reading a bit about recommended parties here on the board so thanks for all the tips!

I got a question of my own to start out with: are NPC recruits worth it in Wiz8? Usually in RPGs I tend to stick to my own party and never hire helpers. I'm too greedy to want to pay them I guess

I'll probably post again with some opinions and more questions once I've gotten a bit into the game.

- Kasper
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:38 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You're in for a treat. Great game, it is!

I avoid RPCs like the plague. One will give you a couple quests, although you don't technically have to hire him to get the quests. Briefly having another in your party will complete one of the above quests. Beyond that, I say no no no.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:46 pm
KasperFauerby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow, that was fast! Thanks I'll stick to my own party then...

Speaking of which - I didn't manage to build one yet. The game just finished installing and I tried starting it up. Quite a complex character creation screen - think I'll spend a little time with the manual to plan my party first

I'm usually a melee type of RPG player, but I think with this game I'll try to make sure my bases are covered magic-wise as well. I'm pretty sure I want the following general party setup, but I'm not sure of the exact classes

Melee
Melee
Thief
Mage
Priest
Ranged

The priest, mage and ranged seems obvious - these classes pretty much maps to priest, mage and ranger in wiz8.

But the thief character could be thief, bard or gadget-guy.. and I'm not sure which one I want

Also, the two melee characters could either be boring fighers or some of the more exotic classes such as ninja, monk, sammy or valk.

On top of this comes races - how important is it to choose the right race for the characters and are there obvious advantages to certain class/race combinations?

Thanks a lot in advance!

- Kasper
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:06 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The good news is that any party with any races can succeed in Wiz8. In fact, it wouldn't be all bad to try a couple different parties thru the monestary zones just to get a feel for things.

I find melee to be better than magic, but I'm sure there are many that would disagree. Actually, I should specify offensive magic, since buff spells are a must. Make sure you make good use of formations and give your casters extended range melee weapons when you feel it makes sense. Always keep your buff spells going. They're good to have and they're good practice for your casters.

Here's my first winning party, which has a great deal in common with the demo party. It's a starting point, but you should feel free to modify as you so desire.
male lizzy fighter
female human monk
male hobbit ranger
male rawulf priest
female human bard
male faerie mage

There's a chart in your manual that serves as a good guide for picking race/class combos. For your first run, I'd stick to races that are "top 3" for the class.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:57 pm
KasperFauerby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, I'm a bit into the game and it's going fairly well so far. The party I ended up with is:

Drac Fighter
Hob Sammy
Half Gadget
Mook Ranger
Dwf Priest
Fai Mage

At first I got kicked when encountering big enemy groups but now it seems a winning strategy is to make sure party rests after each major encounter, keep "enchanted blades", "Armorplate" and "Bless" active in fights, use "Freeze Flesh" or "Sonic boom" to make sure only few enemies hit me at a time - and then just whack them down with my melee guys

I have one question though - for some reason my Gadget char switches to her hands whenever I enter a fight, even if her special gun weapon is equipped. And this obviously means almost no damage (if any at all, she's usually out of reach). Any ideas why she's not using the gun? Could it be a formation issue?

Another question: The fighter char - would you recommend using a shield with him or should I go for dual-wielding with all my melee chars?

Thanks in advance!

- Kasper
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:34 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm guessing you haven't adjusted your formation, so your gadgy is still in the front row, the default 3-3-0 formation.

With your party, I'd go with a 2-3-1 (fighter and sammy in front; gadgy, priest, and mage in middle; ranger in back). That will accomplish a couple things. First, I bet your gadgy is getting thumped regularly. In the early game, gadgies generally can't handle front row duties. He's switching to melee weapons (hands) because he's in melee range. The game defaults to melee weapons whenever any character can reach a critter with the equipped weapon. Now, you can force things by locking the weapon. Check out pages 39 and 40 of your manual. Dragging him out of the front row would fix the issue.

I would not recommend dual wield for classes that don't favor it. Sammys, lords, thieves, and appropriately developed ninjas and monks--those are "designed" to dual wield. That said, if the skill's listed, you can develop it if you want to.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:20 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Welcome, it is always nice to see new face aroung here.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:58 am