Swimming missions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Swimming missions

There should be more missions which involve swimming. In Gothic there was only one instance where we absolutely had to swim... and that was to the sunken tower. I'd like to see more missions requiring swimming and diving, like finding secret switches beneath the water, looking for treasures and required items, hiding from someone or something...

Also, the control for swimming underwater was horrible. Swimming on the surface was fine, but once you dove, all movement became weird and awkward. I once drowned in a shallow swamp because I kept getting the control the opposite way up.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:59 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i guess this was never high on my list. i don't care if my character swims or not. i do agree that the controls were difficult. maybe that is why i don't care if he swims. oh well.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:46 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Yeah, i had a hard time to dive to get to the sunken tower
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:28 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i hate underwater missions. they're so pointless...and scary. i quit playing tomb raider 2 for a reeeeaaaally long time cuz i was in the part where shes under water.

....bad memories...
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:02 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Underwater is cool.....or better yet, maybe there is a sunken city under the ocean, or an underwater village of somewhat to explore in GII. That'd be cool, but I won't get my hopes up. I agree that the diving controls were horrid in GI.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:53 pm
Shoegazer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I always thought that is was pretty f$cking ridiculous that you couldn't pick up items while you were submerged underwater. If PB were to fix this bug in G2, it could open up whole new avenues of adventure-ie: finding sunken ships and treasure chests, picking rare plants that only grow under water, or finding a rare fish for a quest to obtain magical fish liver oil! Just think of the possibilities. But I definitely think the swimming control issue needs to be resolved before they even think about increasing player interactivity while underwater.

-Obiwan Kenobi-
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:32 am
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

Having sharks in the water would be cool.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:22 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I agree. There was a ton of potential that was wasted by not developing "water" stuff. I transformed to lurker and swam EVERY square inch of all the water looking for hidden caves or .........well ANYTHING!

The controls are like the game controls in general, takes getting used to, but it works naturally after you get the hang of it.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:32 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Moonslash
Having sharks in the water would be cool.

*faraway look in his eyes.*

"no...no...lara...take out the harpoon gun! take it out!! come on...get a bead on him....noo!!! aaaah!!! blood! blood in the water!! oh my God! OH MY GOD!!! NOOOO....go to the surface...come on...to the surface...hurry!!! you can outswim the shark! no!!! out of breath....out of breath....OUT OF BREATH!!!!! NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:09 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I hated (enhanced) sharks in AO. They scared the living bejesus out of me and made water an impossible means of travel.

I hated the fish (razorfish?) in MW. They were annoying pests that did nothing but ruin my underwater experience.

If PB were to put living things under water, they are walking on very thin ice.
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:25 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

I loved watching Lara swim. So natural. So graceful.

I don't think any other character has ever been animated as well. Anyway... if you ever played Outcast... there were some pretty good underwater type missions. There were sharks too. Just gotta avoid them.

I guess some of us are natural swimmers... some aren't. Anyway... there's some houses at the bottom of the lake in the New Camp. What's that all about? Anyone know?
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:49 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe sure remember Homer who built that damn dam before the dam there was no water and some diggers lived there but after homer and his crew built the dam those houses just were there and thats it
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:20 pm