Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Oh crap! How do I get back into town? (NOTR)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Oh crap! How do I get back into town? (NOTR)

I can't believe this! I originally got into town using the farmer's clothes, but then I came out again and gave them to the pirate. After spending hours in town I left to do a bit of adventuring and now the stupid guards want 100gp to let me back in. I don't have enough! I've got enough junk to sell but since I can't get into town I'd have to get to the inn to trade and I just got killed by a rat, so I doubt I'd make it.

Is this a bug, or is this in line with their idea of making everything harder, now you have to pay 100gp every time you want to get into town? Or have I done something to make the guards see me as a trouble maker?

Thanks for your help.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:36 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

From the gate you are talking about: go to your right and walk across the wall until you see that the land goes downhill. Turn to your left and follow the path up until the other gate. If I remember right the guards will lett you in.

Gothic II Credits
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:20 pm
znppt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yeah, I think I have met the problem when I played it,but don't worry about that. Pay for the 100gp and the guards won't trouble you any more when you enter the city the next time.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:58 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Or ya could simply strafe past the guards. BTW, are ya naked??? You should have grabbed(stolen) the leather armor in the chests behind the guard on the left when you first enter Khorinis.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:03 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

If the guards are still asking you for bribe money, you may still be able to score a fast 500 exp points. Collect a Diggers Meat plant, go to the right of the guards and aganist the city wall. Find the place where the wall is the lowest and the ground is sloping up (only a short ways away from the gate). There you can drop the Diggers Meat next to the wall, stand on it and jump to the top of the wall. Then you can drop down inside the city. Run down to see Lares at the harbor and he may be surprised that you snuck into town and give you 500 exp points! After this you should go get the lecture from Lothar (blah, blah) and you can go in and out without trouble. Be sure to steal the armor (and other stuff) from the chests behind Matteo's, too. (Hint: Keep looking up!)

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks guys. I made it to the Harpy and sold some stuff. The guards told me to go see Lord Andre, and he told me not to pick fights with towns folk any more. The funny thing is... I didn't.

How do you get in the store room without cheating (strafing past). I'll have a go and look up like imposteras suggested, but could you tell me in case I can't figure it out? I've played the game four times and never found out how.

I gotta say, on a personal note I'm not impressed with the changes they've made. They wanted to make it difficult but have made all the weapons do much more damage and require more strength. So it's harder to get going at the start but I imagine once you reach a certain strength it will get too easy. Bartok (the guy you go hunting with) took out the orc scout with one swipe. How stoopid is that. Also now all scrolls only require 5 mana? So why would anyone bother being a mage, plus you can now use scrolls like destroy undead and firestorm without increasing your mana. And the extra lines of dialog stuck into conversations that are terribly out of place and in one instance in another actor's voice! I wish they'd just have left it the same as the original.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:11 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I will address the later part of your post first..........you are simply wrong. Play the game futher and you will see. NOTR IS MUCH MUCH MUCH HARDER.

About the armor.......you got a hint to look up. What is above you in that area? Maybe a roof? Figure out how to get on top of Matteo's building

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:28 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

There's another way to get into town in NotR.

Go to Lester in the forest near Xardas' tower. He will give you a quest, that allows you to get into town when you pretend to be an apprentice for Constantino the alchemist. You only need 10 plants of the same type and then you can also can get into town.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:30 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
I will address the later part of your post first..........you are simply wrong. Play the game futher and you will see. NOTR IS MUCH MUCH MUCH HARDER.

About the armor.......you got a hint to look up. What is above you in that area? Maybe a roof? Figure out how to get on top of Matteo's building

Jeez it certainly is harder. I've joined the mercs and have merc armour, and I'm trying to beat bullco. I use scrolls to take his health down to a tiny scrap then try and finish him with a sword and I can't do it. I've tried about a dozen times and he just hits me onece, that's ONCE, and I'm down. I'm still using a puny short sword because all the weapons now require huge strength to use. I hate that. The only good thing I like about their tinkering so far is that now crossbows require strength not dexterity.

As for Mettaoe's roof... is it the sign above the door? I hop up there but then just fall off.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:15 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Just a general advice:

Do the easy stuff first. Don't try beating bulco or killing bandits too early, it just won't work. Btw: Bulco is at level 40, so it isn't exactly a miracle that he can kick your ass now. Help pepe with volves, do some delivering stuff for people in town, kill lots of easy monsters such as fieldraiders, rats, scavengers, volves, molerats, goblins. Collect xp from easy quests and put learning points in strenght and melee skill.

Also did you remember to loot xardas' tower? there was a belt which boosts you strengh with 5 among other uselfull things.

If you absolutely want to beat the bulco now. Use the ice block scrolls.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:36 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

bah, go up the road to teh lighthouse turn left before the bandits there some terrain you'll have to neogtiote and then you can jump to the water swim up to lares and you'll get the 500xp, ohh it's a hard route there's a boar on the way so keep at least some fireballs scrolls to deal with it.

as for the roof the shop it's inaccsesible with notr (or at least I haven't gotten it) you can do it with the original gothic 2 though, just use a sleep scroll on the guard they cost about 100 gold but the stuff inside teh chests is worth a lot more
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:22 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Go behind Matteo's, get on the wall, jump to the roof......I think you can handle the rest from there

Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:50 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmmm. Odd. I tried jumping from the broken wall behind the shop. That didn't work. I tried a sleep spell (originally when I played the first time) that didn't work. Sometimes I wonder if I'm playing a different game to everyone else.

I'm having a tough time actually. Every medium difficulty monster (lizards, lurkers) nearly kills me so I'm running low on health. I'm not a terrific fighter, but not that bad. I've played the original about four times and G1 about four times and still I'm struggling. I'm going to reach a point eventually when I've run out of health and money and I won't be able to go any further.

I notice in a fight when I hit the key to try to swing a lot of the time nothing happens. He'll just sand there. But when I'm just practicing I don't have any trouble at all. Why is that? It's extremely frustrating.

Thanks again. Keep the tips coming if you can think of anything that might help. It's appreciated.

By the way... is it recommended you go to the colony the first time before tackling the new area?
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:50 am
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I noticed the same thing; the tricks from regular G2 didn't always work with NOTR. As to the order, I had the best results starting in the addon area and then doing the mines quests using transforms to minimize Orc contact and then returning to the addon to finish. (and finally returning again to the addon to take out the Orcs in the end of ch4 when I was strong enough) NOTR is hard. You have to keep trying even if it means coming back again and again. It can be done but it's frustrating at times; there were a few times when I could have chucked it in and not regretted it.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:44 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by fragonard
I noticed the same thing; the tricks from regular G2 didn't always work with NOTR. As to the order, I had the best results starting in the addon area and then doing the mines quests using transforms to minimize Orc contact and then returning to the addon to finish. (and finally returning again to the addon to take out the Orcs in the end of ch4 when I was strong enough) NOTR is hard. You have to keep trying even if it means coming back again and again. It can be done but it's frustrating at times; there were a few times when I could have chucked it in and not regretted it.

Well it's a relief to know someone had as tough a time with it as I'm having. I almost feel like chucking it too. It's just my sheer love for the game that keeps me plugging away. I hate all the changes they've made to it. The extra content is fine but why did they have to tinker with every little thing? And why did they make it so much harder? Something I thought would make sense is if you recieve fewer experience points for killing a monster if you're on a highter level. For instance if you're on level one you get 60 for killing a wolf. But if you're on level five you only get 20 or 30. That would make sense because it's not as big a deal to kill a wolf on level five as it was when you were level one. And it would make the game more challenging because you'd have to work harder and kill more to level up. The way the've got it now is that animals are so deadly it makes armour almost redundant. Any moderately difficult monster just hits you once or twice and you're dead.

I'll keep plugging away but one things for sure, if I ever play G2 again it'll be the original, not this. In fact I think I'll just sell this when I'm done.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:24 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next