BG3 and NWN2 to be revealed in PC Gamer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

BG3 and NWN2 to be revealed in PC Gamer

Talk is surfacing that this month's <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/" target="_blank">PC Gamer</a> magazine claims next month's issue will reveal Baldur's Gate 3 and NWN 2. It didn't take long to find <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~stesergio/pcgamer.html" target="_blank">this scan</a> (thanks <a href="http://nwvault.ign.com" target="_blank">NW Vault</a>), which does indeed indicate that next month's PC Gamer will have a D&D 30th Anniversary special including "exclusive first looks at Neverwinter Nights 2...and Baldur's Gate 3".
<br>
<br>You may recall Atari rep 'Grok' kicked off speculation on these titles a little while ago (see our entries under <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10075&games=723" target="_blank">Atari</a>) but nothing concrete has surfaced so far, other than a fairly solid denial from BioWare that they are working on NWN2. Let the speculation commence...
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:26 am

wow...hope that's true
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:28 am

Dhruin

Well, which developers, what platforms and the actual form are open to speculation but it's unlikely PC Gamer are wrong. Exclusives like this are quite common -- KotOR2 for example -- so it seems pretty certain these games exist.

Assuming these are PC RPGs, it's amazing how the prospects of the genre can shift in a few days.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:30 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

If they are not PC games, it would be kinda stupid to have them in PC Gamer.
I doubt that Bioware has anything to do with either game, byr maybe Obsidian are finishing off Jeffeson. If Bethsoft can get Fallout license, anythings possible. And what's Floodgate up to these days?
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:10 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Very interesting news. I look forward to it.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:39 pm

It won`t be Jefferson though.

B.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:51 pm

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Great news INDEED!

About them being pc games, I'm almost sure that they will be since they're going to be previewed in PC GAMER. I read that mag and they don't do console games.

I hope BG3 is the finished product of Jefferson though... and hopefully Atari will make a Dragonlance cRPG soon if BG3 sells well! Long live Raistlin Majere
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:14 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The Hasbro-Censors have already crippled SoU andd TOEE so I don't expect anything better than Diablo-Clones from the Games (and especialy from Atari).
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:24 pm

I'm hoping Icewind Dale 3 is next. Does anyone have any reliable info as to how well the series has sold?
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:27 pm

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I'm hoping Icewind Dale 3 is next. Does anyone have any reliable info as to how well the series has sold?

IWD3 in isometric 3d (ala TToE but not the engine) please!!!

From what I know, IWD sold very well (any game that survived a launch at the same time as Diablo2 is definately worth something ) and I remember seeing IWD2 on the top charts for a few weeks. I think among all 3 IE games, the IWD series is the most marketable. Must be because of the Drizzt factor or something like that...
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:22 pm
Pinky's Brain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

TOEE's engine wasnt all bad, most of it was quite good (for a 3D on 2D background engine). The pathfinding was just horrifically and unredeemably bad.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:46 pm
niteshade6

TTOE was ok.....but it could have been great. Instead it was just kind of half finished, full of bugs, lacking alot of things they promised, and even the combats which were the only fun part were often plagued by horrible AI. The fact that it was still ok shows how good it could have been if they had taken the time to finish it, and if Atari hadn't screwed them over so much by making them take out so much of it.

It's unlikely Atari learned their lesson....they were reluctant to give the game any support at all after it was released, despite it's sad state. So I'd be leary of anything else by them. If they can kill a game like that which should have been great, imagine what they can do to the average game.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:11 pm

taosk8r

Hate to rain on everyone's parade here, but...

I was thinking about this topic a bit and I believe PC Gamer is simply taking liberties. I think it will (and should) piss off a lot of thier readership too. My theory is that they are merely referring to what Bioware has termed the 'spiritual' successor to these two titles, Dragon Age.. I'm frankly kinda surprised nobody realized this yet...
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:13 am

I seriously doubt they'd be mistaking a game revealed several months ago as BG3. I'm not a regular reader of PC Gamer, but if they weren't fairly certain about this, I'd be awfully surprised if they were saying it was going to be BG3 instead of saying they were simply betting on it being BG3.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:22 am

Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'm more excited by D&D Online! I hope they finally have some screens.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:55 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next