View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by SheerWolf
QFG5 really isn't very similar to Gothic hehhe... the only likeness is that both are in a medeival setting. QFG5 is more like an adventure game while Gothic 2 is more like an RPG. The entire QFG series is definately worth playing though ... it's my favourite series... but 5 was a big disappointment.

I actually played the first one back when it was called "Hero's Quest". Sierra later had to change the name because an earlier board game used that moniker.

Anyway, the first one is my favorite Sierra game of all. Good gameplay and very funny. 2 and 3 weren't bad either. I loved the music in 3.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:26 pm
Dra Gon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

So let's see if I get it right:

Ultima 9
Arx Fatalis
Quest for Glory 5 (if I manage to find it - I'm almost sure I can find it, I'm from Romania and most of the games we find in shops here are 2-3 years old - they are cheeper...)
Redguard
FINAL FANTASY VIII ?

Thanx a lot!
I think I'll be busy for a while... he he he ...
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:38 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

FFVIII ?? What does it have to do with Gothic?
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:28 am
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

FFVIII is a Good RPG, gothic has Some Good RPG Elementes, got A lot of Action, and Is very adult/Fun Game, I Like it Very Much, is a good Choice if you run out of Gothics
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:01 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

also Diablo 2 is pretty good in internet to play
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:17 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Well FFVIII is a goood game, also Diablo2, but the topic isn't about that
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:27 pm
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Korzen Posted: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well FFVIII is a goood game, also Diablo2, but the topic isn't about that .-

You are Soooooo Right It makes me Wanna Like someone Posting "Toca Race Driver Is a Good Game" hehehe
PS: I Like Toca3
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:22 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I heard Severence: Blade of Darkness was "Gothic-like". A first-person adventure game with some RPG elements such as multiple character classes, experience/strength/dexterity stats, some storyline, weapons and armors, etc. Its graphics and audio were way ahead of its time. For me, Severence seems like an FPS-like adventure game for those who're thirsty for blood and gore -- not really Gothic-like. Anyway, different person has different opinion, so you may want to try it out.

The developer, Rebel Act Studios, is now defunct. You may want to go to the publisher's website to get the demo.

Off-topic, but whatever...

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
Pirates of the Caribbean <---- its a sequel from Sea Dogs i think the first part was better i couldent get out of the room in that game in the beginning after u put all the skills there after that i dont know where to go

Just talk to Malcolm Hatcher and say "Forget about those points -- let's continue with something else." You'll be offered some newbie quests, then you'll be transported to Oxbay.

An easter egg about Malcolm Hatcher: While you're practicing duelling with him, kill him. Obviously, reputation loss, but if you're Level 6 or above, you'll get the best sabre in the game. Almost impossible, but may worth a try.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:08 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heheh oke thnx for the info now i will install it again on my pc
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:11 pm
RahulKumar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Birds of a feather...

Here's my post from the jowood Gothic forums comparing the Quest for Glory series to Gothic. In short, QfG is very much like Gothic in terms of concept but falls short in terms of implementation given its age and programming constraints at the time of its release. Still it is an everlasting classic and worth checking out if you can manage to find a copy. Your best bet is to look for the series on eBay or some used software stores.
-Rahul

I think the Gothic series delivers much more on what the Quest for Glory series set out to do - An adventure/rpg hybrid that you the hero, shape how it plays out. When the QfG series was conceived in the early 1990s, gaming technology wasn't mature enough for a series with such lofty ambitions. The series was definitely way ahead of its time and its ambitions are only now being fully realized in such stellar games as Gothic. Still, the QfG games are as enjoyable today (despte their outdated graphics) because of their strong storylines, memorable characters and deep player immersion. Same applies to the Gothic series and I predict 10 years down the road, this series would be one of those you don't mind coming back to. Undoubtedly two of my favorite series of all times.

Some striking similarities:

Both series have an unamed hero, with an unknown past. It is left to the player to imagine his background to suit his/her liking. A powerful concept, and QfG even went so far as to have no spoken dialogue for the Hero to keep the illusion.

Lots of freedom to define your character any way you see fit - his class, his skills & abilities, and his personality.
And then NPCs react to your character's affiliations & actions accordingly, with differing responses; varying quests and quest solutions. This with a relatively simplified stat system. QfG shines here with the ablities to import your character from one game to the next, a sure indicator of the pre-planning for the series to avoid serious imbalances in the later games.

Lots of diversions and side-quests to keep you fully immersed in the gameplay; whether you go on a hunting spree in Gothic, or decide to play Mage's Maze with Erasmus in QfG1, or rob houses in both the games. The gameworlds are highly interactive, and the designers took the time to think through both logical & wild things players might want to try in game.

Replayability - Related to the freedom and immersion factors above, you can role play these games over and over again, with vastly different characters and play styles, and have a different experience doing it even though the main goal is the same.

A Living, Breathing World - Each NPC is unique and has character depth (not to mentions tons of spoken dialogue - QFG4&5); they go about their daily routines, and react appropriately to player actions. Things happen in the gameworld often without your interference and you can choose to be a passive observer or an active participant. QfG had some of the most interesting villans with more than a simple good or evil distinction.

Quirky sense of humor - Whether through spoken dialogue or funny game scenes/moments.

-Rahul

PS: I have a QfG website at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/7435/ in case you want to reminsce about the series.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:01 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

thnx RahulKumar added the site into Favorites didnt know the game has some fan sites
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:32 pm
sansnom
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi,

I have about 20 years of RPG gaming experience behind me and I must say I really like the gothic games ( I and II)

I would add that

- ArX fatalis is certainly for me the one you should buy and I really enjoyed finishing this game. It has a lot of elements for Gothic2 but is quicker to finish. It's a great game too I highly recommend it.

- Quest for Glory and Ultima 9 were nice but may feel outdated today compared to gothic2
- Severence is too much action and linear elements compared to gothic
- Diable/FFVII are not at the the same type of games
- redguard is old but was still fun and like gothic2 had a lot of interesting side quests and freedom ( but simplified RPG).
- Pirates of the carabean. I bought it before I got gothic2 and it is much more limited and a totally different game. More like pirates or of course sea dog.

hope this help,
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:31 am
Sasa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I can say that Gothic changed me. Before Gothic I didn't play RPG
at all . And now this kind of games is one of my favorites.
And from all RPG Gothic was, is and will be the best. Grate thank you
Piranha Bytes.

To Sansom - grate experience. You must be a monster of RPG .
20years - that's cool .

Ex elf... and if you don't belive, go ask Feanor

By the way... Boo!!!! Scared? No?
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:14 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2