Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is Gothic 3 three times the size of Oblivion ???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Is Gothic 3 three times the size of Oblivion ???

I have read Oblivion will be 16 square miles which is roughly 4 miles x 4miles map, most walkable.

Then i read that Gothic 3 will be 75 square kilometers in size, or 8.5 x 8.5 square kilometers area. Is it tru that it will be so huge, is all that area walkable too ?

It seems strange that it is so more huge than Oblivion, i always though the series had the biggest worlds, but as it seems it is MUCH smaller than Gothic 3 world, is there anything i miss here or this is a fact ?
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:27 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

The worlds of Gothic and The Elder Scrolls are very hard to compare. The world of Gothic is build with a lot of mountains and different roads with others road below it etc. Look at Jharkendar, there are all kinds of little paths going over and through mountains etc.

Personally I couldn't care less about the actual size in square meters/kilometers, it's all about the richness of the world and how most time you can spend in that world without getting bored.

The world of Gothic 3 is more likely to be smaller than Oblivion instead of larger. But more lively and detailed.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:34 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
The worlds of Gothic and The Elder Scrolls are very hard to compare. The world of Gothic is build with a lot of mountains and different roads with others road below it etc. Look at Jharkendar, there are all kinds of little paths going over and through mountains etc.

Personally I couldn't care less about the actual size in square meters/kilometers, it's all about the richness of the world and how most time you can spend in that world without getting bored.

The world of Gothic 3 is more likely to be smaller than Oblivion instead of larger. But more lively and detailed.

Here is what i have on Gothic 3 size, is it valid info or what ? In 3rd paragraph says 3 times the size of gothic 2 = 75 square kilometers.

The last Gothic took place on an island and ended with your character finally setting out for the mainland. Gothic 3 opens as he arrives, only to find the human cities in ruins, having been razed by orcs. In a normal RPG, this would be a sure sign that you're about to spend the next fifty hours driving the orcs back and saving humanity. But in Gothic 3, you get to choose whether to save humanity, help the orcs, or just stand back and let events run their course. "That's the most important thing in Gothic: do what I want," says JoWood's Stefan Berger.

Your initial choice leads you into an evolving storyline that ultimately results in one of three endings. Will you be the king who saved humankind, a god to the conquering orcs, or merely the stranger who opted out? "In that ending, you go out into the desert for, I don't know, Gothic 4, maybe," says Berger.

The continent is three times the size of Gothic 2's island, spanning 75 square kilometers. Berger says that mounts are one of the main player requests, and given the size of the world, the developers are trying hard to include them. They're also working hard to include more story twists, an easier interface, and a living world of even larger size and scope.

The living world, which now boasts 1000 unique characters to the last game's 400, doesn't just mean you can't buy stuff at night because the shopkeepers are asleep. It also means that your reputation will have meaningful implication in the game world. A.I. henchmen will hear about what you've done and might refuse to help you based on your past exploits. Some cities will be openly hostile. By way of example, Berger suggests a situation where you might need to get into an orc city, but if you've been helping the humans, the orcs might not be kindly disposed to you walking into their city. You can, of course, fight or sneak your way in. Or you could free enslaved humans to help you fight. Berger suggests a particularly novel approach as he shows off a T Rex, apparently unsure of its place in the food chain, calmly grazing in a field. He says you could lead a bunch of T Rexes into the city to scare the orcs. "They hate that. The orcs hate T. Rexes, so they'll run out of the city," Berger says.

The graphics engine, which Berger describes as 90% new, should be able to support much larger fights, with as many as twenty combatants on either side. The terrain looks good, featuring lots of individual blades of grass and detailed animals, like rhinos, prehistoric birds, and apparently herbivorous T. Rexes. The game will be released in the first quarter of 2006, with a demo expected at the end of this year.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:02 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

That publication is an old one from JoWooD and not from PB. I'm not saying that it isn't true, but maybe he is bringing things a little too rosy.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:06 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A year ago we had a thread about G2īs real size. One of the WoG mods calculated this using a human for calibration. I donīt remember how big the world was. 3 kmē or so.

G3 will be about 3-4 times as big as G2 plus TNotR. Thatīs what really counts.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:08 pm