Atari claims to be "improving" G2 for US release
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Atari claims to be "improving" G2 for US release

... according to this Gamespot article anyway. Dunno if this has already been noted but here it is:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic2/preview_6071616.html

quote:
It's not often that a game released in Europe is later picked up by a major publisher, put through further development, and released in the US.

Hmmm... I hope they don't mess it up by sanitizing it, removing blood, stuff like that. BUT considering this is America we're dealing with, chances are they're doing just that.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:55 pm
SilentSam
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It will be interesting to see what exactly they mean by 'improve'...

By the way, have you guys tried turning the blood levels all the way up in the .ini file? Set the blood level to 3 (max)...so much better!
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:53 pm
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Atari claims to be "improving" G2 for US relea

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
... according to this Gamespot article anyway. Dunno if this has already been noted but here it is:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic2/preview_6071616.html

quote:
It's not often that a game released in Europe is later picked up by a major publisher, put through further development, and released in the US.

Hmmm... I hope they don't mess it up by sanitizing it, removing blood, stuff like that. BUT considering this is America we're dealing with, chances are they're doing just that.

G2 is actually pretty tame in comparison to other games such as the Grand Theft Auto series, Postal series, Soldier of Fortune series, etc, etc.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:07 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Improving?! Why? If it isn't broke don't fix it! *sigh*

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:52 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Just a way to say wait longer, but it is not our fault.
To bad for the US, the game is perfect right now.

What is the crap belew the second picture, what game did they play?

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:50 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This was in the news a few days ago. I know none of you reads the news but this is your own problem.
The Gamespot preview is so full of errors that I don´t even bother to count them. Looks like copy & paste directly from PR material.

I wonder how Atari wants to implement all the improvements. PB holds the copyright. I doubt they´ll give the source code to anybody. PB is busy with the add-on and Gothic 3.

The whole thing is a PR stunt, nothing more. I only expect a patch close to the US release.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:01 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah i dont think they can legally change it unless pb gives them permission but i think i wouldnt count out the possibility of that happening and i dont think us americans would mind a little less blood if the fixed the journal entries and the british slang as well as the multiple flaws in the subtitles and the ambient sounds but im sure that its just a gimic to explain why the hell its taking an extra 4-5 months to get it released in the US espicially when it could all be fixed in a patch that will surely be released before the us release of the original version
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:37 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

eh i just wonder why to erase all the blood and some violent or any other stuff that US dosent allow if everything that time was like this heej if they remove all those effects then it will be like a ABC book later no good no good at all
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:39 am
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

forget these bunch of shit called "gamespot", they always give currency to a rumour and apart from that, they're bunch of idiotic patriots
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:02 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

no not idiotic patriots just plain fucking retards, if they were patriots then they would prosest the censorship of the game in the name of freedom of expression
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:26 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Whatever the changes are, they very well may be for the better. I sure hope so, this extra wait time is no fun ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:28 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

now you're in denial, everyone here knows that they are just gonna rip it up and ruin it
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:59 am
joshuax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

>I wonder how Atari wants to implement all the improvements. PB holds the copyright. I doubt they´ll give the source code to anybody. PB is busy with the add-on and Gothic 3.

In all likelihood, if the article is correct, as part of the distribution agreement Atari has attained the rights to modify the source code. Creators typically surrender this right (or one very similar) in almost every form of artistic expression that requires distribution.

Gor, you gotta quit trying to interpret the law, man.

But the users of this site have complained about/mentioned so many bugs, it would be nice for American audiences if Atari would clean those up. Quests in particular are far too fragile and easy to break.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:04 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I was not talking about laws. Maybe I should have written a sentence more.
Sourcecode and design docs are PBs´ IP. It would be plain stupid to give them to Atari unless they are forced to do so. I´m sure the publisher has access to some (or even all) design docs, a gold master and dozens of earlier versions. But I wouldn´t bet they have to hand over the sources for their own game. Could be different in case of contract work, though.

Now let´s imagine Atari has the right and the intention to change stuff which can´t be simply toggled in the .ini and isn´t covered by the upcoming patch.
How are they going to implement the changes? Impossible without sources and customized tools. Even if they have both, who should make it? You can´t read soures like a book. Even if Atari finds qualified developers they would probably need 4 weeks until they understand what they are doing.
So practically only PB can do it, but this will delay their work on the new project. I guess they´ll only do it they have no other choice. Time is money.

And why should Atari modify the US version? G2 is more harmless than Gothic. They had months to evaluate the English version and decided it was good enough to be released in Europe and Australia. If the game requires polishing wouldn´t it have been more logical to also delay the UK version until the Christmas season and sell the better product?
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:31 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don’t know if this is any consequence, but a prospect client of ours want to buy our software but only if we sold them the source as well. An agreement was made for the price (quite hefty) an NDA was signed and the deal was ready to go through…then they asked about the maintenance plan and told them ‘what maintenance plan…once you alter the code it’s no longer our product it’s yours and there will be no support coming form us’.

They walked away…

Sylvio
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:38 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next