A turning point has been reached... [LONG]
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

A turning point has been reached... [LONG]

My level 6 Orcish warrior is now content that things are proceeding as planned.

Whilst wandering around trying to get more area mapped, he spotted an underwater doorway through the clear blue water. Holding in his hand a ring he was supposed to deliver to a client in Vivec, he considered taking note of its position and coming back later, but curiosity got the better of him and he plunged into the water, despatching a couple of Slaughterfish on the way down.

The caves he discovered were dark and unremarkable, but he could see shapes moving up ahead. Thanking the Gods that he'd just purchased a shiny new Demon Katana from the nice Khajit in Balmora - just the thing for when a battle begins to turn against you - he stepped forward.

Fortunately, the shapes turned out to be a couple of rats, and they were despatched swiftly. But around the corner he ran into a proud warrior, in shiny magical armour - a disturbing sight. Could this be one cave too far?

Opting for the diplomatic approach, he stepped forward boldly to chat for a while. Questions burned in his head - what was this man doing down here in this cave, does he know any important information, and why hadn't he dealt with the rat problem already?

Unfortunately the warrior had obviously taken an instant dislike to this invading Orc, and was in no mood for chit-chat. After a brief rant he pulled his sword and lunged for him.

Taken off guard, the Orc stepped smartly back and took stock of the situation. He'd made some good purchases recently, and aside from his Demon Katana was also kitted out with a Dreugh cuirass, helm and shield. He'd managed to purchase one Ebony bracer too, so combined with the rest of his Imperial Steel and Imperial Chain he was quite well armoured. Would it be enough? He was carrying a number of potions, but Water Walking and Levitation wouldn't be much good here. Better were the four Restore Health potions he was carrying - no good trying to activate a healing item in mid-combat, what you *really* need is a potion or two. Or four in this case. Although they were few, they were home-brewed and rather potent, each capable of healing from the point of death to almost unscratched.

Taking a deep breath he muttered an incantation over his Demon Katana and summoned a Daedric longsword, the magical weapon appeared in his hands just in time for battle to commence.

Oh, what a battle it was! The blows came thick and fast, and he was having trouble blocking any at all - this was obviously an experienced foe. The Orc landed quite a few blows to his credit, but was being slowly beaten down, losing health much faster than his opponent. Stepping back and quaffing a healing potion evened things out again, although the battle raged for so long the Daedric spirit convinced to aid him in battle soon tired of its task and returned to its dark plane. Suddenly holding his Demon Katana again the Orc fought on, but was again being beaten back. Risking serious damage from unavoided blows he decided to again request Deadric help and once again the spirit manifested in the form of a longsword. Throwing down a second potion he turned back to his foe with renewed glee - the warrior's health was getting low and he was soon to drop. Still the battle continued for a while longer, and the Daedra again left, so the Orc fought on with the Katana alone. At last the warrior fell and the Orc dropped to his knees and offered up a prayer of thanks to whomever was watching over him.

Looting the corpse he found the magical armour was the Lord's Mail, a fantasticly well-armoured cuirass that was immediately worn in place of the surpassed Dreugh kit. Another Katana (this time a Fiend) was taken from the corpse too, along with a small potion of Levitation. Scoffing at the weakness of the potion (my home-brewed Levitations are much stronger and last much, much longer) he threw it in his backpack and continued further into the cave.

Soon he happened upon the warrior's camp - a fire was still burning here, and a few items were left lying around. Also found was another potion of Levitation (again weak). Why did he have *two* potions of Levitation in a cave like this? Something didn't add up...

Examining the cavern he was in, he spied a ledge far up one wall - could there be something up there? Taking a double-strength menthol-flavoured homebrew potion he drifted up to have a look.

Well, here was where the warrior obviously slept, there being a bedroll, a lantern and various other items lying around. But what was that in the corner?

Ah, the warrior must have been taken by surprise what the Orc chanced upon him back there in the mouth of the cave! If he'd have known there was an intruder in his hideout, surely he would have returned to his secret chamber here and stood his ground not with a Steel Katana, but with this beautifully crafted magical Glass Longsword! What a haul, first the armour and now this!

Carrying enough gear to slow an elephant, the Orc staggered back to the entrance with as much as he could pilfer and plunged back into the water. A Slaughterfish was the first to taste his shiny new weapon. Upon reaching land the Orc pulled out a bundle of armourer's hammers and set to work fixing all his damaged gear - most of his armour was in a bad state after that battle, and some pieces had been close to complete failure. Upon resuming his journey he delivered the ring as promised, got his promotion, and returned home triumphant to Balmora.

The Demon Katana now lies on a shelf, criminally underused for a weapon of its calibre. However, it will never be sold - without its sharp edge and affinity for Daedric spirit invocation, the Orc would not have survived and would not now have a new sword, some new armour and one hell of a tale to tell!

[Epilogue: Another choice find in the cave was a Glass Jinksword - set to be useful as a first strike before the Longsword is brought to bear on the undefended foe. I got four skill improvements during that one battle, one Heavy Armour, two Long Sword and one Block - all in all I got five improvements *towards level* in that cave. Since the battle I looked at the warrior in TESCS, and now delight in the fact I took down a level 15 at level 6!]
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:06 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wow, nice story. You could be a writer.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:37 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Very interesting read indeed, thanks man.

And you are good with writing, very good actually...
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:41 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

yep he sure is.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:50 am
Vanderghast
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

That's cool! Makes me want to try an Orc Character!

Quote the Gully Dwarf, Nevermore!
Member og the WWW
Member of the Non-Flamers Guild
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:17 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Ah, a little Morrowind play on words...I like that sorta thing. Nice to see some people that have a vivid imagination, because I certainly can't write worth a nickel.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:19 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Imagine that the entire story (which was very well-written and entertaining) could have been summed up to this: I read about the Lord's Mail on RPGdot spoiler's, found it on my map, met the warrior, clicked on my mouse until my health was low, paused the game by pressing I, used a potion and repeated the process until the battle was over.

Except the spoiler's part (which I never use) that's how it was for me. Duh.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:39 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
Imagine that the entire story (which was very well-written and entertaining) could have been summed up to this: I read about the Lord's Mail on RPGdot spoiler's, found it on my map, met the warrior, clicked on my mouse until my health was low, paused the game by pressing I, used a potion and repeated the process until the battle was over.

Except the spoiler's part (which I never use) that's how it was for me. Duh.

It's true, it's true. Unless one has a good imagination, Morrowind will get stale awfully quick.

BTW, I never use spoilers either.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:53 am
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

awsome story man. WE WANT MORE!
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:40 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

More?!? ROFL

Thanks for the compliments, guys, glad it was appreciated!

More? LOL! I'm no creative type, I just played through a scenario that was so amazingly intense that I had to write it up. I leave the real creative writing to the professionals
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:03 pm
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

bravo bravo well done. wish i could write like u.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:00 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, go do something else exciting and we will be waiting patiently for more.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:56 pm