Dungeon Lords: Collector's Edition Interview @ GameBanshee
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dungeon Lords: Collector's Edition Interview @ GameBanshee

D.W. Bradley and Dreamcatcher's Robert Stevenson have answered some <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/dungeonlordsce.php" target="_blank">questions</a> from GameBanshee on the Collector's Edition of Dungeon Lords, which apparently represents the "original design and intentions". Here's a snippet on content and another on future projects:<blockquote><em><b>GB: The original version of Dungeon Lords shipped with several major bugs, including broken spells, missing character customization options, and various multiplayer issues. With the release of the Collector's Edition, do you feel that these problems have been addressed?</b> <br> <br>D.W. Bradley: I certainly hope so! We combed the web and tech support reports for any problems, issues and suggestions from gamers, and tried to make certain that everything of significance was addressed. Multiplayer and character customization were major items, so we spent quite a bit of time working on these in addition to other improvements. But there are many other things we've added or changed in the Collector's Edition to make the game an even more rewarding and enjoyable experience for the player - new monsters, new scenes that were a bit barren in the original edition have been completely revised and filled with new content, the towns and shops have been overhauled and stocked, there are new npc characters and quests, new rare and special items, a special new class, and a number of other surprises. <br>... <br><b>GB: What's up next for Heuristic Park? Might we see another RPG created by D.W. Bradley sometime in the future?</b> <br> <br>D.W. Bradley: In addition to Dungeon Lords, there is another new game design that I'm working on - both have RPG under their skin although the latter offers some really unusual and out-of-this-world departures - makes me excited just thinking about getting started!</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:43 am
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

This "collecters edition" is nothing more than a shallow,money-hungry attempt to screw customers.The original game was a mess and instead of fixing it or patching it to make it complete,they try to sell you a "new" version of a previously in-complete product.Bradley and HP should be strung up by their collective nuts and slowely quartered.I absolutely HATE people like this that try to take advantage of the thousands of half-wits that will probably fall for this scheme and buy the "collecters edition".
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:54 am
XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah, it makes sense what the above poster said. Instead, they could have just released this "Collectors" edition as a patch instead of having a standalone version of the patch.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:43 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

No amount of patching will fix this game, and I don't see many folks lining up to do fan patches either. There were parts that were pretty good. I liked the lock picking system. Inventory and dialogue were ok. I didn't think the graphics were half bad. I didn't much care for the automap, and the constant random encounters was the breaking point for me. I like to clear an area and have it stay cleared for the most part. I can handle an occasional suprise attack in an otherwise cleared out area, or having it repopulate over time, but the constant encounters in this game is ridiculous, even on the 'low' monster frequency setting. It's impossible to get anything done plot-wise when you are CONSTANTLY getting attacked. If the combat system were even remotely entertaining, maybe I'd feel different about such encounters. I gave this game every chance and probably loaded it onto my computer 3 or 4 times, and even managed to get 15 hours or so into it one time, but I just can't do it again, even with the new patch.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:46 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

I've not played Dungeon Lords myself, and I've heard all the reports about it being an incomplete piece of rubbishness. Thus I think it's a very sad comment on the state of the current/pending RPG projects that I'm quite excited to hear about HP's new game...

The slimmest possibility of a decent CRPG (and track record says this is dead before it gets out of the starting blocks) is at least something to cling onto.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:07 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
the constant random encounters was the breaking point for me. I like to clear an area and have it stay cleared for the most part..

C'mon, you *know* you like having goblins and thieves spawn out of bricks in the middle of a sealed city ...

Personally, I started up again to check out 1.4, and have played through most of FarGrove now, and it is as I remember - deeply flawed but fun. I still think CGM's 'worst of the year' was wrong-headed, as this is better than some games, but easily the most disappointing game in years.

I also find it the height of arrogance to release a 'Collector's Edition' that offers just a few add-ons (similar to a 'director's edition' bonus) yet is incompatible with the existing game and costs full price even for those who have already bought the game.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:27 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
No amount of patching will fix this game

This isn't a patch..
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:43 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I meant to say that I recently decided to download the 1.4 patch and give Dungeon Lords another try, and basically gave up because I didn't think the improvements in the patch were worth it. I also can't imagine the 'improvements' in the Collectors Edition will outweigh the stuff that's already wrong with the game. I should have been more clear.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:08 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by bjon045
quote:
No amount of patching will fix this game

This isn't a patch..

Then what *IS* it?!?!

It has:
- a few new spells
- a couple of new monsters
- about a half dozen extra small quests, all of which occur in already established areas
- furniture & fires in Arindale

No new areas.
No new major quests.
No new player classes even.

How does this qualify as *anything* but a 'patch in a pretty box for full price'?

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:14 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

actually this game is starting to give me sort of a "fatal car accident" type of curiosity
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:31 pm
THX1138
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

lol

to xSamhainx
That's funny you say that. I notice the same thing myself.
It is likely because I was SO interested in it during developement. It's really the only game I stayed with
until release that really went bad before impulse kicked in and I would have bought it.
I followed Gothic1-2/DivineDivinity/Sacred(while it was still Armilion) and luckily all those games turned
out moztly better than I expected.
Kind of off topic, but I notice I had the same reaction for Daikatana, and I am waiting for the almost certain disaster of DukeNukemForever. "When it's done"
LOL kiss my hardcore gaming arse!!
In my younger gaming days I would have bought DL regardless of the bad reviews and warnings, but I'm
much mellower now and don't need to experience the disaster for myself.(although I did get X3 in spite of
warnings and bad omens)(btw X3 is fantastic though a bit daunting at first)
Anyway, I have decided not to put in any more opinion about DL because I haven't played it.
Cheers!
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 pm
InsaneOrc
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Why is Gamebanshee not asking questions that "real RPG gamers", those who are observing the "development" of this game for so long, are interested in ? Like: Don't you think buyers of the original game feel fooled and isn't the new content included actually the content the game should have had at the release and have those customers not the RIGHT to get this content ?

This game for me is the game-joke of the decade.

LOL and this "new project" of Dee Double Joo I think nobody will take this for serious, the critics will hopefully gives it what it deserves. I can't think this man can make a really good game, just big words like "really unusual and out-of-this-world" lol reminds me of "FIRST Combat RPG". A joke a big joke ...
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:33 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Nice comments considering none of you have even played or read a review of the collectors edition. The underbelly of the rpg gaming community at it's best.
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:17 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by bjon045
Nice comments considering none of you have even played or read a review of the collectors edition. The underbelly of the rpg gaming community at it's best.

We are going on published details from the developers and publishers; details from interviews with the dev & pub; details from GameBanshee themselves; and (in my case anyway) details from people who have played the CE *all* the way to the end and confirm what I say.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:35 am
Woebringer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What is that I see on the horizon? The Saints winning the Superbowl?
Oh wait...
It is just hell freezing over before I ever buy another D.W. Bradley produced/developed/connected product.

A conscious effort was made to release an unfinished product. Blame the publisher for applying pressure if it makes you feel any better. The developer is responsible for choosing such partners and strategic alliances and is ultimately responsible for the quality of the product attached to his/her brand. It stands to reason that it would be in Mr. Bradley’s best interest to choose the next publisher with a bit more care if he wants his product to sell.

That is assuming the damage has not already been done.

-Woe
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:02 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next