I need to play AD&D NOW!!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Arakaiscladdath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I need to play AD&D NOW!!!!!!

I know this is odd but I need to know if anyone still plays AD&D 2nd edition anymore????? I really am going through withdraw. I have not played in a VERY long time. I have everything needed to play, just need a DM. I would like to play online (via chat rooms or e-mail) or if anyone is in the Cleveland Ohio area that would be great. Hopefully someone will hear my plea for help!!!
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:10 pm
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hehe, that's strange. I was just having a discussion the other day about how much better the D&D 2.0 rules were compared to todays D&D 3.5 standard..

I've only tried the D&D 2.0 in the game Pool Of Radiance though..
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:04 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I stopped playing after the 2nd ed. came out. Was too cheap to buy 2nd ed., and never liked 3rd ed...

I hope you'll find some players/a DM! There's hardly anything better than 'real' (= pen and paper) roleplaying. I'd give so much to be able to play Twilight:2000 or Merc:2000 again...
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:58 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Considering ADnD 3rd ed. (3.5) completely ownz0rz any other PnP RPG out there, I seriously have no understanding as to why ANYONE would prefer 2nd edition.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:54 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Personal preference? Familiarity? Dislike of some aspect of 3.5? Fond memories of 2.0?

There are any number of good reasons why someone might want to play 2.0 rather than 3.5. I personally can't be bothered with all these new-fangled complicated rules as I'm very much a casual player - I want to roll dice and slay Orcs. I'm much happier playing the original D&D than any AD&D derivative just because the rules of the game are much simpler.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:28 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Yup, dead-on, Charlie - it's all about personal preference.
Personally, I like my rules simple as well... rules I can recall if pressed. Heck, in WEG's SW RPG I could even create characters without having to look up *anything* in one of the rulebooks. We added self-made and very detailed damage rules, though... used them from about 3rd Ed. GDW games rules on and kept them for all other games.

We played that, ahem, interesting 'D20' version of SW once. Pure horror for us. What, classes? Levels? Needless to say we reverted to WEG's system instantly. Another one of my favorite pen&paper rules set was the first Ed. of GDW's Traveller... if you could memorize the number '8', you were all set . And there were no experience points, and no levelling up... you basically started playing as an old codger who had already spent all his life learning things - rewards were to be found in interaction, not powergaming.

And quite contrary to Charlie I'm not keen on combat at all - I usually get all my killing kicks out of online shooters. I'm pretty happy with what's 'real' roleplaying for me... i.e., solving problems with a team without having to resort to violence. Even though that tended to be a bit challenging in Twilight/Merc (on a team level I mean - on the personal level I easily circumvented the dilemma by playing a medic). And I love/d those roleplaying sessions where the group decided on a course of things not anticipated by either module or GM . There's nothing better than being flexible.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:03 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

3.5 adds so much to the game... but at times 2nd edition was definitely simpler. All fighters used longswords and looked the same at level 1, 5, 10, and 20. Now no two fighters are alike so how are you supposed to know what the other guy can take or do?

I love 3.5 as a game system. To me, it's the greatest incarnation of D&D yet... I love the idea of feats and the skill point system and the uniqueness of each class now. I stopped playing D&D for nearly 10 years because all 2nd edition characters started to look the same, mechanically, and thus in our group tended to look the same roleplay wise. Our fault? Yes... but the game was brutal on a fighter who decided to put a 16 into charisma and a 12 into strength.

Personal preference is what it is: I loved West End Games system. I loved Shadowrun's system. I didn't like Earthdawn's. I know several people who were of the reverse opinion.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:26 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05032002.html

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hahaha!
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:50 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

good one cfm!
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:14 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Nice.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:39 pm
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That is funny.

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

...Don't rob someone of hope; hope may be all they have.
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:15 am