Quit WoW for DDO, how about you ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Author Thread
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Quit WoW for DDO, how about you ?

After playing WoW for over a year I finally, definetly quit warcrack. I got to play Dungeons & Dragons online for 2 days and that was enough for me. In comparison WoW looks like a simplistic crayon drawing ( and plays about thesame ). I was wondering if anyonehere also did thesame then please let me know, so we can play on thesame server

Main things i do not like about WoW :
1. *VERY* immature player base.
2. Focus on PvP.
3. Whole end game *is* pvp.

DDO is so much ..more mature ? ;D The character customization alone makes WoW look like a joke, and that's just the start.

If you have any questions about this game post away.

Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:00 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well, I quit WoW as well about a month ago for a number of reasons. For one, it's hard to ask someone to play one game for a looong time. Here all these other games are coming out that I want to play, but I cant. I know, "segregate certain days for WoW then." It's not that simple when youre in a guild, and even more complicated if youre an officer and have responsibilities to the guild as well. "Well, quit the guild." Easier said than done, and it still doesnt address the problem of playing the same game, even at different intervals. It gets old, anything does.

Secondly, as the guild matures, end-game content is all that matters after awhile. So then, not only are you stuck playing one game, youre stuck playing one damn area of one game ad infinitum. I simply cannot and will not do that, I am an rpg player first and foremost. Im just as happy playing a level 25 running around doing quests by myself or with a friend, as I am playing a decked-out level 60. And in some respects, Im happier playing a lower level char, the game changes often with new abilities and equipment and what not. Basically, my guild went full-on high level instance 24/7, then decided to really ratchet it up and institute ridiculous DKP. This is on its way to killing my last guild.

Basically, you get points for attending raids and instances and what not, and with these points you can "buy" your rolls for items on later raids. This is to keep players who only play an instance twice from getting items that players who have played it 20 times want. So if you want to even ROLL on an item, you need to be in that instance just constantly, racking up DKP or you wont be able to freakin roll. No, sorry charlie, if my set item drops or piece of equipment I want for my class, Im rolling on it, period end of story. Kiss my furry ass if you think Im "buying" my damn rolls, Hunters get screwed on enough loot as it is. "Well quit the guild" you may say, again, it still doesnt address the problem of playing the same game, and other problems with the game itself, guild or not.

To quote the famous late 20th century philosopher Sir Homey the Clown, "homey dont play that" WHAP!

So anyway, the previews Ive seen of DDO look cool, and I think I might give it a try. There's people railing on it from the beta tho for supposedly being a rail game, and while that does concern me as much as being stuck doing one instance all the time, Im hesitant to damn a game that isnt even released yet. And, quite frankly, Im pretty eager to see what they are gonna do with the D&D content. I consider the money spent on WoW worth it, I had alot of fun, and made alot of friends, some of which that might hit DDO too. So even if I only play DDO for a couple months or somthing, it very well may be worth the money if I have a good time with it.

So yes, i'll prolly be playing it, see ya there after it's released.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:05 am
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

I have been playing beta of DDO for two weeks, and I hae been watching a friend of mine play it for few weeks before that. I love this game, it;s the closest possible thing to pen & paper roleplaying on a computer. Here is some highlights ( for me ) :

1. The graphics is stunning, it really is very good, they make WoW look like a crayon drawing.

2. The player base seems to be much more mature then WoW, here is a link to a 25+ guild i joined http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/.

3. Character customization is infinetly better than WoW, with what seem like almost unlimited options.

4. The quest are very well thought out, not just hack and slash.

5. Quests have a GM ! every now and then when you reach some milestone in your quest ( or an important area ) you hear GM voice say stuff. It's pretty cool.

6. Multiclassing - you can multiclass characters ! That provides for so much more options for example, you can pick up a lvl of fighter with your clering so you can wear plate armour, etc..

7. Puzzles !!! - Some quests have puzzles ! That is just so great, gave me a feeling of the old sierra/lucasfilm adventure games. Simple puzzles, type moving floor pieces that have to be arranged etc..

I can't thin of more right now.

Are we going to have a Dungeons & Dragons online forum here ???
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:38 pm
Lantra
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ummmm if it is so close to the paper version instead of staring at a computer screen go call up some friends and play its actually more fun

other wise i agree about the immature player base (being only 14) even to me i am appualed by the immaturety an i go to an all-boys school. For those of you who have never gone to an all boys school or looked at kids in one your lucky.

playing the pen and paper game i could aggree about the charchter custmization but WoW does have alot, not as much though to say it has none then you lie! Any ways

Whole end game is not PvP if you know what you are doing

Focus on PvP is not true unless your on a PvP server or spend too much time in Ironforge

as far as i am concerned graphics dont make a game good or bad, though they help look at might and magic 6 AMAZING game better than alot that are out now

Also WoW looks good on a low graphics card like i have on my laptop

Quests in WoW are also well thoguht out maybe not as good but maybe you didnt really play, anyways, having a GM say things in a quest is just kind of ummm strange.

Overall, i would not touch DDO but play D&D with some friends or just replay morrowind or gothic. Also WoW is fun for me beacuse i can really roleplay my weird charchter with out getting shunned for not "Using proper role-play" (i got that from a NWN server) ya i do play a crazy guy but its fun and i can sit down and threaten people with the wraith of doom and wage my war against the holy

ok you can stop reading this post now
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:49 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

No, I don't think we'll have a DDO forum here. By all means feel free to start DDO topics in the poor neglected D&D forum, though.

I'm liking DDO but certain parts of it wear out fast. I think it will be best as a 'game to play if I have one or two hours to kill'.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:51 am