Can I play Gothic W/WSAD keys?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Can I play Gothic W/WSAD keys?

Hi all. I just downloaded the Gothic demo and having a hard time figuring out the controls. Is there a way to play the game using the WSAD keys that makes any sense? I would like to use this scheme as I'm used to FPS games. I did change the up arrow to A to go foward and back to S, but it still feels awkward to me. If anyone knows of a way to get the game to play with all action and weapon keys on the left side of the keyboard (so I can keep my right hand free to use the mouse), I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:04 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

In Gothic it´s the alternative standard setup. In Gothic 2 it should also be easy to find. I always played it with ASDW plus mouse.
LMB + forward does just about everything in Gothic 1.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:27 am
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the info. My mistake. I mean't to post this in the Gothic 1 forum. I just saw that there was an alternative setup in the main menu and am using that now. I'm still having a tough time getting used to the controls but starting to get the hang of it a bit now.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:19 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Download JemyM´s FAQ. He explains everything. The controls aren´t half as bad as they seem.
You always have to press the 'action key', which is Ctrl or the LMB, to indicate that you want to do something to the thing or person in focus. If it makes sense you can select with the movement keys. Gothic uses this consequently, G2 made several things more intuitive. So if you can somewhat handle the first you won´t have any problems with the 2nd.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:31 am
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the response. Is there a link for this guys faq. If so I would appreciate it if you could post it here. I've gotten somewhat used to the controls, but combat is still tough. I tried to change the action button to LMB but it doesn't seem to take. Thanks.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:50 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

GothicDot, walkthrough section.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:50 am
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by mgeorge
I'm still having a tough time getting used to the controls but starting to get the hang of it a bit now.

The controls really work, belive me! Coupple more hours and u wont wanna change them for the world. They seem clumsy at the beginning but for gothic's fighting system they are perfect.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:53 pm
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ya, I'm starting to get the hang of it finally! Still a little shaky though. I have to say this game is very cool as the more I get into it the better it seems to get. I can't get my bow to work however. Everytime I try and use it I can't! I click on it but it always takes out my stick. If I then unclick the stick, I still can't use it. Any advice? Thanks for the response.

Plus, I can't figure out how to use any of the magic stuff. I have mana, but have no idea what to do and I can't find anything in the manual about it. Thanks again.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:39 am
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

When u select mele weapon number 1 appears over it. For ranged weapon number 2 appears and for magic there are numbers 4-0. So at once u can have selected one mele, one ranged and 7 magic. To use it just press the number selected. So for mele u press 1, for bow 2 and for magic the number u ve put your spell under. When u press draw weapon key (default:space) the last weapon u used is selected.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:48 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Also, for example, when in the magic armed mode,

By holding the space-bar the "on-screen" selection is enabled, so you can circulate through all of your seven enabled spells, pressing forward/up draws melee weapon and pressing backward/down enables ranged weapon, all from the on-screen selection interface, - - - pretty cool eh!
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:00 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Magic:

You need either scrolls or runes to use magic. Once you have them you can equip them by clicking the item in your inventory (Which will auto assign a number from 4-0), or you can press any number from 4-0 when the item is selected to assign it to that number.

How to use Bow & Magic once you have equiped them:

1. Holding down the left mouse button locks onto a target
2. With the left mouse button held down, press forward to fire the spell/bow

Note: Some spells have a cumulative effect. The longer you hold forward, the more mana it uses, and the stronger the spell becomes.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The short version:
Weapons and spells have to be assigned in the inventory. Remember the number, press it to select and then use
(CTRL or LMB) + forward,
as always!
Only melee weapons have more combat options.

Arrows, bolts or mana are of course needed.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:44 am
Artemisz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How can I pick up anything?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:49 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

quote:
Originally posted by Lacni
When u select mele weapon number 1 appears over it. For ranged weapon number 2 appears and for magic there are numbers 4-0. So at once u can have selected one mele, one ranged and 7 magic. To use it just press the number selected. So for mele u press 1, for bow 2 and for magic the number u ve put your spell under. When u press draw weapon key (default:space) the last weapon u used is selected.

hey lacni didnt know you too were here.And why does your avy remind me of some card from magic and sorry about spamming have to greet an old friend
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:33 pm