View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Once More Unto the Breach

Hi all

With a hearty ho ho ho and a shaking of snow from his shoulders (either that or he has a major dandruff problem!) Santa left me a copy of DS2 under the tree before demolishing a plate of mince pies, quaffing half a bottle of sherry and scrabbling back up the chimney to his waiting reindeer.

I’ve only just now got around to installing it and my first impressions yesterday were not all that good. So what I need to know is whether this is a rough diamond, a cocoon which will reward my faith and tenacity by opening to reveal a beautiful butterfly, or has the fat red suited git left me with a lemon! (Incidentally, when he left he stole our toaster!)

Graphically I’m not sure what to make of it. One of my fondest memories of the original was that the wow factor of the graphics, how pretty it all looked. The sequel somehow seems to have managed to squeeze lots more detail into the scenery and characters whilst at the same time losing the smooth clean lines and fluidity which so impressed me first time out. Inventory items for example seem less distinct than they once were, despite my running it at 1024 x …. erm I forget.. what’s the next one up from 800x600? It’s not that the game doesn’t run smoothly enough on my old rig, it’s fine. But there’s something about watching it run which I can’t quite put my finger on.

Being over linear was a criticism levelled at the original (big fan of the original as many of you will remember) and while no-one can deny that linearity was certainly a trait of the title, I none the less thought that the finger pointers were being a little unfair to a game which after all never claimed to be anything else. Accepting it for what it was rather than bemoaning what it wasn’t, left you in a position to appreciate just how cleverly the designers had managed to blur the edges of that linearity to a degree where the limited forays allowed into the foliage set at either side of the path, with it’s secret loot and even the odd cave to reward the curious, really managed to immerse you and convince you that you had more freedom than was actually available.

So I was very concerned to find myself in the opening levels of the sequel, travelling through trenches with no scope for deviation of route and facing creatures which far from the cleverly designed originals, (who seemed to go about their own business ransacking and pillaging until disturbed by the player) frankly seemed to be rolling up on an assembly line. I crossed my fingers that this was purely a function of a tutorial level (albeit a rather dull one) and sure enough I quickly found myself out of the trenches and transported to a treetop prison, exploration of which at least seems to afford a few choices as to which way to progress and is certainly no more limiting than say the average indoor location of a title like "Balders Gate" for example.

Having stopped my initial play at this point I can only hope for the best regarding the locations I might find beyond this hub.

Then there’s party management.

One of the features of the original was the ability to separate your party if desired. Thus the ability to have some party members stand still, attacking only what came within range, while others stood individually elsewhere, was a device oft used by your Badger to lay cowardly ambushes and traps for lone beasties encouraged away from their entourages by a single warrior sent to scout ahead and lure the unwary.

This function seems to have been cruelly withheld in the sequel, (unless I am missing the obvious in my initial observations) seemingly leaving you with only two available options for the party. Attack what I attack, or attack what you fancy, but always move where I move. Your cohorts seem to have received their training at “Top Gun” where Tom Skerrits stabbing finger is accompanied by the repeating mantra, “You NEVER leave your wingman!”

Two final concerns I’ll touch upon before laying the quill to rest back in the inkwell are the save function and the combat button.

If I saved in the original, I was freezing time and my save game could be recalled from that exact point if I remember correctly. The sequel however deviates from this formula, presenting us instead with a model which saves your loot and experience gained, but transports you to the last town or focal point you passed, completely destroying any emotional involvement you may have built up in the level. With my immersion levels already somewhat challenged, this did very little to suspend my disbelief any further.

So your curmudgeonly forest dweller comes to the final quick point. Right clicking on an enemy in the original, instigated automatic fisticuffs which continued until the bounder lay bleeding and defeated, or you did, or until you said “RUN AWAY!”. The sequel seems to require that you hold down the right mouse button and keep the pointer resting over the villain as he/she moves. I don’t like this at all. Quite apart from anything else your mouse pointer obscures the target which detracts from your enjoyment of the scene, takes away from the visual detail they’ve gone to so much trouble to put in and further distances you from any chance of emersion within the game.

So there you have it. Not like me I know to wade fists first into the swirling melee of an untried game, laying any and all asunder with hurried accusations and barely founded criticisms and perhaps it’s fair to say that I should heed my own advice and accept the sequel for what it is rather than berating it for what it’s not.

I’ll hang in there and adventure on out of the treetop prison and out into the world proper and my hope is that after an poor first impression this seemingly unlovable child might yet live up to the pedigree of its illustrious parent. I’m sitting with pen in hand and adoption papers at the ready, I only need an excuse to bring the two together.

Badger.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:10 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I should have a copy of the game early next week. Put your game on ice for a few days and I'll individually co-op play with ya.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:25 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hey there dte

Your skills with the blade are legendary and I’m not sure the dastardly denizens of DS2 could withstand such a joint assault! Please see hefty PM currently burning a hole in your inbox.

Badger
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Badger my friend, put away DS2, re-install the original and then head over to Lazarus and download the Ultima 5 mod (for FREE) and play a REAL game using the DS engine!! More details can be found on our News page!! Or, check out Ultimadot!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:44 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hey there bearded one.

Put DS2 away eh? Hmmmm it seems to me that you don’t take a kitten back just because it decided to poo on your kitchen tiles a few times! No! you stick with it, you persevere, you try to give it a little love and understanding and if all that fails? Then and only then… you put it in a sack and take it down to the local canal!

That said…. The “Ultima 5” thing is a great tip sir so I’ll put that one on the back burner to warm my paws with on some cold night.
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:07 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey There Mr Badger, try not to be "waylaid" by the notorious corwin, as you get further into DS2 you will see the differences become apparent.

I also played DS1 and likewise used to position my 'men' in strategic positions then send a decoy to entice the enemy. That's why i was curious about DS2's "much improved" previews - so i plumped for it......my advice?.....completly forget DS1, draw no comparisons as such ... DS2 uses the teamwork approach - "all for one and one for all" says it all and in conlusion, i much prefer this method, the new function being the 'mirror' and 'rampage' modes, this lets you get on with the main thrust of the game "overpower/defeat the enemy".

As you near towards the end of the game you will become aware of your Failings, you will realise all the attributes that you could have assigned but didn't, have left you with little chance of defeating the Evil boss....."Valdis" . . . defeating him will be a miracle.

If you look back after playing both games, you will find it hard to disagree with one fact, DS2 is different, harder, and better than DS1....only then should you continue on to the ultima 5 mod.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: Once More Unto the Breach

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
The sequel seems to require that you hold down the right mouse button and keep the pointer resting over the villain as he/she moves. I don’t like this at all.
I can only speak to the demo at this time, but I'd bet the feature would have made the final release. Under the options menu (all the way at the top of the tree), there's a tab for game options. At the bottom of that menu are two checkboxes for "attack until dead" and "attack when attacked" or some such. The former lets you right click a single time and then sit back and enjoy the carnage. I don't use the later option yet, but I would assume that you would then sit back and watch the dismemberment of the entire mob rather than selecting each critter one at a time.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:49 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Wize words indeed Wulf and I must say that my heart is softening having played beyond my initial impressions. More on that later praps.

Thanks for the hint dte, I'll have a look for that.

Badger
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
That said…. The “Ultima 5” thing is a great tip sir so I’ll put that one on the back burner to warm my paws with on some cold night.

You won't be disappointed when you try it. Just don't expect a game like DS. Expect an Ultima!
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:17 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So I installed the game during this weekend.

The performance really seems very good to me. Initially I had planned to buy a new computer before trying this game, later I decided to give it a try anyway.
I'm running it on my ancient PC (that doesn't even meet minimum requirements - 800Mhz Athlon, 256 SDRAM, NVidia 4200Ti) on 1280*1024*32 with advanced shaders, complex shadows and trillinear and it is just smooth with only rare exceptions. That seems simply strange to me.

I'm making my way through with single character - melee fighter. I'm currently level 10 and in act I, chapter 4 and I'm enjoying the game, really. Well, the respawning on start of every game and after each load is rather frustrating (at least sometimes). With a single character, the game is quite difficult and I have to carefully plan my way through every area. Developement of my character and uses of special attacks (powers) have to be carefully planned as well. Quite challenging.

It is real hack and slash game. I was expecting this, so I'm enjoying it. The graphics are very nice (my personal view) and smooth. All in all, I've not yet seen anything so impressive on my PC as far as graphics go.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:41 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Seems like you've worked a miracle getting DS2 to run Dani' - although the graphics card is well capable.

I will be watching your progress with great interest - this is because i want to see how far you can go into the game with just one character, it will be tough, i was only too glad when i able to recruit more characters to the team, yet i will admit dodging and doubling-back is easier with a single hero.
Without giving too much away, i will be amazed how you will cope against the first "decorated tacklak tracker" this is the re-think stage, a kind of indication to re-compose your thoughts.
If you do it, i will salute you when you have finished the game....er....if you finish the game.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:14 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

@Wulf

Many "decorated tacklak trackers" are long dead. I'm now level 22 in Act I, Chapter 8 and the progress is good so far, the game is still challenging for single character though.
As I said, I'm still going through with single character (without pet or anyone else). Occasionally I have to go through some areas two or even three times to get to higher level. I'm strongly focused on melee fighting with two weapons and I'm trying to focus my special powers so that my attack rate is very fast and balanced for two weapons fighting.
I've of course level or two in Nature magic, just so that I can autocast healing on my self. Most of your enemies are rather slow, so it is possible to run behind corner and the autocasted healing gets you into right shape before the enemy approaches.

I don't know how the game goes with full party, yet the "hints" on the desired character level for each quest (that you can see in your journal) tell me that I'm 8 levels ahead, so that's probably why I'm able to go through like this.

We will see, I'll comment here on my further progress.

(Btw, I'm still really enjoying the game)
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:11 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Danicek

Sounds good so far, yes i was the same, autocasting level 2 in nature magic is very handy.

Re quote: Many "decorated tacklak trackers" are long dead. - Mmmm, maybe i am mistaken, i did mean the one near the blacksmith guy (?) - it caused almost total devastation and i was killed, i possessed Tsar and ran away, the others after resurrection and mirror mode calls re-grouped only to be almost wiped-out again, you must be very powerful indeed!!
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:05 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Mmmm, maybe i am mistaken, i did mean the one near the blacksmith guy (?)

Yes this one is also long dead ;]. It wasn't easy and there was a lot of "run behind the corner, heal your self (spell/potion) and go give him few more hits".
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:49 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Well now Dani, in that case i have great expectations for your method, yet it is on the second encounter with the dark wizards that i will keep my fingers crossed for you, it now sounds a possibility that you may triumph over evil.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:55 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next