Major performance problems... hlp me!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Overheating

Well, when your computer is running Morrowind, the CPU isn't able to be shut down at all - usually the system will set halting instructions to it to turn it off periodically.

Also, your sound card and all chips on it will have to be kept running...

And the video card...

And the hard disk will have to be spun up more frequently...

And the CD needs to be kept spinning...

Don't underestimate the number of things your computer *doesn't* do when running MS Word!
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:33 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
You sure?

Yes

quote:
I always thought of it like a car engine. If it is just there idling it won't get that hot, but if you run it at redline for a couple hours, you may get some problems,

That's because car engines are made to run at their optimal level before the "red line". CPU's are designed to run at their stated mhz rating. It's not hard to understand. If you buy a 2gig processor then it's going to run right at 2 gig (maybe 1.99gig, but it'll be close). If it was like a car engine, then it would be a 2gig processor that only runs optimal at 1.5 gig, anything beyond that is pushing it. That's ass backwards.

quote:
especially if you are at or below minimum requirements.

He's running a XP 1600+, that's not below or anywhere near the minimum requirements.

quote:
If what you said were true; basically "no matter what the program, it puts the same strain on the cpu", we could all run Morrowind on a DX66. After all, MS Word will run on a DX66

The entire concept of my post just flew right over your head, so just forget it.

quote:
MW has "redlined" my pc just from playing it ALL DAY. if you look at the task manager's performance readout WHILE running MW, its using almost 100 percent of the CPU.

100% of the CPU means optimal level, your factory fan is designed to allow your CPU to run at that level for as long as you choose.

quote:
why would you even need a fan otherwise.

BECAUSE THE FAN KEEPS THE PROCESSOR COOL AND ALLOWS IT TO RUN AT OPTIMAL LEVEL (max mhz speed). I have already said this, let me know when it sinks in.

quote:
did you ever notice that OLD, OLD ass PC's dont have fans on the CPU. hmmmm. try running MW on an awesome video card/crappy cpu, you still get heat buildup. its there, bro.#polygons/textures=#cpu cycles

I have an awesome video card and a shitty CPU (800 mhz). When I played Morrowind the game ran perfectly fine, and my computer never got any hotter than it normally did while playing any other video game, such as NWN, Quake3, Gothic, Dungeon Siege and TFC. The only fans in my case are the default ones, 1 on my processor, 1 on powersupply, 1 case fan, 1 on my video card.

You seem to think that games can manually force your processor to overwork itself and magically make it run faster than it is supposed to. They don't do that, they never have, and they never will. A 500mhz processor will be just that, a 500 mhz processor... If you play a game that can run on a 500mhz processor, then you will not be overworking your CPU. It's not difficult.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:06 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

the solution to this problem is simple. sell your copy of mw for the pc, then go & buy an xbox.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:51 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

you must live at the north pole mate. so a CPU at 130 degrees is the exact same performance as a CPU at 85 degrees. ok.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:15 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
the solution to this problem is simple. sell your copy of mw for the pc, then go & buy an xbox.

Have you read the official Morrowind forums?

The X-Box version is scattered with bugs and glitches, and it's un-patchable.

@sooth

You apparently will never understand, sorry.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:22 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

apparently

we'll just have to agree to disagree
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:09 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2