Usergroups
Two Questions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

First, I just decided to explore Ascension Peak, although I'm really not ready for that area, and Myles didn't want to go, so I dismissed him. When I got back to the spot where he left the party, he was gone. Is he gone for good? And if so, where can I pick up another character, preferably one with good ranged combat skills?

Second, what do those numbers after the monster list in the top center of the screen refer to, during combat? For example, if I engage say Soldier Ants, at the top of the screen it says 'Soldier Ants (9/0/5)' or 'Flint Golems (4/0/2)' just as examples. What do the numbers mean? I've looked for this in the manual, and can't find it, and with no index, it makes it hard to find information like this. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:53 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Those NPC's that leave you can be picked up again where you first met them. The numbers, as far as I recall mean (number of monsters in the group / number of visible monsters / number of monsters in attack range) - but I am not sure about what is what anymore

Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 3:10 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Yes, all NPC's will return to the spot of your first meeting..so, Myles will be in the front area of Arnika..

There is one NPC RFS-81, I think, that will stay wherever you leave him..i.e. if you drop him in ascension peak, he will remain there until you come get him.

If you right click on the numbers in the top center screen, it will tell you in your message log what they mean.. but I think Rendelious is right...

Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 4:12 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Thx guys

Heading back to Arnika to get Myles...
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 4:28 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

No problem...perhaps out of thanks, you could become a regular on this board...we're really lacking in that department!!

Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:14 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Hey no problem, I check in frequently.

But one thing I've noticed, and I'm not being critical, but you really don't emphasize your forums on your front page from a design perspective. It's labeled under 'Miscellaneous' on your front page, almost like the forums are an afterthought.

For example, if someone goes to your front page, 'Forums' is an itty bitty little link that probably will go unnoticed by most surfers, it was blind luck that I scanned the page to find it. Most people wont take the time to look for this type of thing.

If you want lots of traffic on your forums, make a big colorful 'click-on' with a title like 'Discuss CRPG Gaming With Others', or something like that, so people actually know you are running CRPG forums, because trust me, based on your front page, most people that come to your excellent website are probably clueless as to the existence of your forums.

Just a suggestion, and yes I'll be a regular, your website is very nice, I just wanted to give some input.

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-02-10 18:49 ]
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:37 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well, I must say that I agree with you, for what it's worth..

One thing that you must understand, though, is this website is first and foremost for news and recent announcements from gaming companies. It's kind of nice for us to have a set of forums like these have, but not really the scope of the site.

btw, I'm not an operator, or even moderator of this site. My "council member" status is due to the # of posts. I think the moderator of this forum is Michael C, perhaps he would be kind enough to reply, and pass along your suggestions to the proper 'authorities'..

Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:45 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Thx for your confidence, but I'm not the "moderator" of this forum. "Garrett" is.
I'm only a simple poster with a lot of interest in W8. But to answer you about your request: we can hope that "Rendelius" or "Mythos" reads this, because they are the guys who really can make a difference here.
BTW "Sir Markus" I agree about the lacking of advertising for these nice forums.
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:37 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

You all are right. These forums aren't advertised much. RPGDot and GothicDot have a section with the 5 latest topics on the front page, but that's all. I think we will move them from Miscellaneous to Main, second to news. And I will do a banner for them and put it into our rotation.

Another thing we plan is to add a link to the game spefic forums to our newsbits (those not having a forum of their own will go to general CRPG).

If you have other suggestions, let me hear

Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:18 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Link moved to first menu
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:41 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

See, these aren't just forums, they're a pipeline to the top..

Thx, Rendelious..

Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:44 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Rendelius, I think that's a great move. The internet really does need a comprehensive resource for CRPG news, but frankly forums are what draw me to web sites, whether they are developer website forums or independant forums, it really doesn't matter, I just like a forum to be active so I don't have to wait 3 days to get a response, and overall I think this website is well above average in terms of responses; I've never had to wait more than an hour or so to get an answer to a question. However in the past I've been to forums where there was so much traffic, I'd get responses to questions in a matter of minutes, even seconds, so there's always room for improvement. Lot's of traffic translates to lots of regulars, and those are the folks that make a forum click, IMO.

But it's nice to have a resource for hints and strategies, and to get input from other players of various games. Whenever I buy a new CRPG, one of the first things I do is scan the internet for a good, active forum on the game I'm playing to get info on character creation, bug issues, etc. I also enjoy helping other players when I get some experience with a game.

Anyway, you have a great community of forums, why not advertise it prominently?

Just my opinion and keep up the good work.

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-02-11 09:11 ]
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:04 pm