Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
In your opinion, Are Paladins really 'good' or are they...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Whos really the 'bad' guys?
Paladins
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Mercs
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Thread
Swanny
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Paladin's = bad goodies, Mercenaries = good baddies.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:18 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am still in chapter 1 (beating around the bush and refusing to start chapter 2 until I gain few more levels), so I may not have enough information, but from what I gathered this is my opinion.

Paladins are about a greater good. Sometimes, when the good of the collective infringes upon the good of you as an individual, you may doubt the goodness of the forces that actually harm you. I feel that Paladins have much greater concerns on their minds than petty bickering between town militia and local farmers. After all, if you had to save the world and were in a bit of a rush to do so, would you care that some homeless guy on the street is going hungry? Would you stop and go out of your way to feed him? No, not really. You have much bigger fish to fry. That doesn't mean that you're a bad person.

Mercenaries on the other hand... well, as much as we know that Lee isn't really a bad guy, what about the rest of them? Lee is trying to get back at the King but at what cost? Getting pardons and a free passage to the main land for hundreds of murderers, cut-throats, thieves and other riff-raff? Who's to say that these men are reformed? Who's to say that they won't murder, rape and pillage again? Just because Lee got shafted through politics, does that make it right to unleash the hordes of criminals upon the kingdom? Let's not forget that, in the prison colony, even if you came there an innocent man, you certainly had to become not so innocent if you wanted to survive. God knows that "I"--whatever my crime may have been--stole, extorted, murdered and otherwise commited just about every sin there was, while at the old penal colony.

Just because some of the old prisoners were 'punished' a bit too harsly, doesn't mean that they all deserve a 'free from jail' pass. And just because few farmers had it bad for couple of weeks since the paladins came to town, it doesn't mean that paladins are evil.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:10 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

The paladins are still jerks. :p
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:42 pm
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I dunno, I think maybe you're painting a bad picture of the mercenaries, at least the penal colony ones. Sure they're all convicts, but you have to remember that people were sent to the mines for ANYTHING, just for an excuse to get more workers. One of the peasants was sent there for not playing his taxes! And as we all know the taxes in the Kingdom are hardly fair. The mercenaries of Lee in the New Camp in Gothic 1 were generally a decent but rough group of guys IMHO and you really don't know the extent of their crimes to judge them so harshly. It was moslty the rogues that gave the New Camp its bad reputation. You also have to remember that the penal Mercs joined up with a bad group of Mercs from the south, who aren't really friendly with Lee and want to do even worse things.

edit: Yes, I realize this totally flies in the face of what I said previously, but that was before I actually went to Onar's farm and actually met the majority of the Mercs. Just shows how you need to actually know what you're talking about before you flap your mouth.
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:03 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I eat paladins for breakfast!

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:19 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

I eat them for dinner! Their armor makes them a bit crunchy though.
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:32 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Mercs are the bad ones because Paladins taste so good! I like to saute them in swampweed juice... *starts to drool*

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:51 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

No, no. A lovely garnish of healing herbs and stuffed with meatbug curry!
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:04 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

No meal without meatbugs!
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:24 pm
Crashzone
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Well, Mercs and Pally's aren't good or bad.. They have both good/bad guys.
Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:16 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

moondragon, finish the game then give your opinion about who the bad guys are
Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:42 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Last night I had a conversation with Lee again, about the valley of mines. His attitude towards paladins getting killed en masse by the dragons really turned me off of him. So much for him being a 'good' human being. Instead of being concerned for more than his personal vendetta, and actually contemplating what the arrival of dragons means not just for the paladins and his revenge, but for all the inhabitants of the island first and then the world after that, all he can think about is his revenge. The worst part is that it's not even revenge he wants. He just wants to be able to meet Lord Hagen and be smug about his ultimatum. He doesn't even want to fight. He just wants to laugh at someone's face and feel good about himself.

I'm sorry, but you're going to have a very hard time to convince me that he's a good guy.
Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:18 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Plain and simple: He's not. The saying 'No more Mr. Nice-guy' springs to mind when I think of his character.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:38 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2