1Handed w/ Shield or 2Handed Swords
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
munkiez
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1Handed w/ Shield or 2Handed Swords

I was wondering which is bette, to use a 1handed sword with a shield or 2. Also does armor come into play. For example if i am using heavy armor should i lean more towards a 2hs and ditch the shield or if i am using medium/light would it be better with the shield and 1handed. Im open to all of your suggestions. Thanks in advance
Post Mon May 20, 2002 7:44 pm
some guy

I don't exactly know, but I think having a shield is a big advantage. You get to cancel completely an attack; that's pretty big in my book. The advantage with two-handed weapons seems to be that you can knock people over easier; that's almost like a shield since someone on the ground is essentially paralyzed. I don't know though. Just an observation.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 9:30 pm

For me

I find sheild and mace to be an excellant combination. Good minimum damage, knock downs, and blocks.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 4:25 am

some guy

do you know what determines knock-down?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 4:51 am

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have been using a katana and a shield. I am doing just about as much dmg as a 2-handed weapon but the benefit of a shield liek said earlier will take away all dmg if successful that is a life-saver. Plus 1-handed weapons have a faster hit ratio so you hit more often.

As with knocking down mobs, the heavier the weapon, the more often I knock them down. This is what I have noticed from different weapons...let me know if I am wrong.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:01 pm
munkiez
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the info. I have come to notice after expermenting with a 2handed that the shield makes a big difference. Even though you will not kill the MOBS as fast...a defense is still the best offense. Thanks for your input. I think im gonna go experement with a Mace now, that knockdown would be clutch.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:17 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I liked sword and shield. Then I got Chrysamere. When I find a 1 hand sword that does anywhere near that amount of damage I'll likely pull out my trusty rusty shield once more. That block IS nice though (it was a lucky block that let me GET Chrysamere, though it killed my shield with extreme prejudice to do).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:22 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey Xman...what weapon are you talking about and what are the stats on it?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:42 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Can't say where without getting knocked into spoilers (where I will not go). But I can give some points... it's two handed, does a max of 70 damage, weighs a ton, and is enchanted. It also throws up a very weak reflection, weak heal, and weak resistances to fire when you want.

It's a direct rip-off of Carosmyre from BG2. There's a hint for how you might get it without being a spoil.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue May 21, 2002 4:25 pm
Fredric
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I was using a Megabane sword (two handed), until I found an Ebony sword (which is one handed). I found that the Megabane 2-hander does does slightly more damage than my Ebony 1-hander, but I use the Ebony 1-hander sword because then I get to use a shield, which is good because it blocks a lot of attacks and raises skill in it, of course.

The Megabane does something near to 45 damage averaged, while the Ebony Sword does about 39 damage averaged.

Both weapons are easy to find, you'll come across them if you elaborate on the places where you go during the early parts of the main quest... well, somewhat early, after you visit a certain camp. That's all I'll say.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:01 pm
coradin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I prefer using sword and shield mainly for the block effects, but also because I like the animation of my glass storm sword. I will break out the two hander (Umbra) when it seems like circumstances dictate though
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:25 pm

I prefer 1 handed with a shield, especially with my Daedric Katana (not a dai-katana though....damnit) and my daedric shield. Makes for a pretty excellent combination. Now only if I could find the Dai-katana.......

-Bohonkie
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:57 pm

SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

i use a shield and two handed weapons. its a glitch maybe... but i carry my shield for the armor.. and when i pull out my two hander i automatically put away the shield... but still get its armor/defense. Its awesome.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 11:12 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I noticed that. I de-equiped the shield and everything went back to normal.

Post Wed May 22, 2002 1:30 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I use the Jinksword..I love that thing, and the Soul Dagger...
With shield on both...if there is a 2 Handed Jinksword..that would be my wep of choice.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 4:46 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next