G3 the last game???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
buttko
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

G3 the last game???

I know its quite hard to say now, but do you think that gothic will be the last game in the series?
I I
I I
I I I
(__I__)
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:56 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

First of all I think that's more a question of sales than PB's own free will. When G3 becomes a bestseller, and it will, I don't think Jowood will appreciate it when Piranha Bytes says that they stop with making Gothic games.

On the Jowood forum I found another argument against the statement that this is the final Gothic game: the way of numbering the games.
For Gothic II they used Roman numbers, but for Gothic 3 they switched to the regular (what is it, Arabian?) numbering. Roman numbers become disorderly when the numbers grow big.
For example:
Gothic MDXXXVI or Gothic 1536
With Gothic IV (or sometimes Gothic IIII) and Gothic 4, the latter is already clearer.
Of course it can also be that they just found this way of numbering better and didn't think of continuity at all.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:10 am
buttko
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's true, but I heard somewhere that PB wanted to stop the gothic series cause they want to do other games as well
I I
I I
I I I
(__I__)
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:21 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I've heard that somewhere too, when they had just started the development of Gothic 3, but I think it would be very dumb to quit making Gothic games when the game is just taking off and Jowood is finally spending money on it's release.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:33 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

That´s only a business decision, and it depends on who has the rights for what in the Gothic franchise. The involved players are PB/Pluto 13, JoWooD and Koch.
If PB doesn´t own everything it could make sense to develop another RPG franchise and agree to only "produce" G4. This gives them safe money through G4 and a chance for the jackpot through the new game.

What I think is clear - and I don´t have a single source to back it up:
G3 will get at least one add-on. Maybe even more. And this step is probably already planned, which the involved parties cannot admit because it would harm the G3 release (due to players waiting for the "complete" game).
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:47 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

That makes me think, was the NotR already planned when they developed G2? For example in G2 in the VoM, you can already find a teleporter (although not working), the same that play a major role in the addon.

With the planned addons (I agree with that Gorath) it will probably take years before a development of G4 comes anywhere near. Plenty of Gothic for us in the coming years that's for sure.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:00 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, I do believe it was planned. The crashed wagon under the bridge for instance had no explaination at all in the original, but now we learn that bandits attacked him etc. Also, they left out so many characters that returned in the add-on, it would seem as if they planned to bring them along(Saturas and the rest.. we found a letter near the ice dragon in the original, and that was all).

And yeah, I think G3 will get an add-on, but I don't think there will be a G4. Like Baldur's Gate, it would be wrong.. if the story ends, the story ends, simply dragging it out to make money weakens the overall story and reputation of the series(which too many devs have done to too many series already).

I hope PB either has a solid story for G4, or don't do it at all. Remember, PB will still make games after Gothic, and they will probably be excellent as well, so we'll definetly hear more from PB after G3, whether or not it is another Gothic game.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:58 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

PB said in an interview at Gameswelt, which was made at the event immediately before I talked to Mike, that PB lost a lot of money on Gothic and are only somewhat even after G2. (He didn´t explain how exactly they lost money. Gothic sold more than 400k, albeit most for a low price. He could mean they had to invest heavily to buy the IP when Phenomedia crashed.)

This looks to me like it would be economically stupid to end the franchise after G3 + add-on. They can simply start a new trilogy, like Origin with Ultima. JoWooD also plans to broaden the franchise.
I would rather think we´ll see an XBox 360 version. Doesn´t necessarily mean PB makes the conversion, though. Such stuff can be outsourced.
Gothic didn´t even reach 1/4th of it´s potential yet. Remember MW has sold more than 5M units on 2 platforms.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:15 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Yes, I do believe it was planned.

But it wasn't. I mailed to Piranha Bytes some time ago regarding exactly this concern. KaiRo himself stated:

"während der entwicklung von gothic II hat niemand mit dem gedanken gespielt, ein addon zu produzieren, und die welt von gothic II war in unseren augen ausreichend gefüllt."

Translation: "During the development of Gothic II nobody toyed with the idea of producing an add-on, and the world of Gothic II was full enough in our opinion."
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:16 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I doubt it was planned. The undeveloped world details are easily explained by the fact that in G2, unlike in G1, PB actualy made the world first, *then* they filled it with a story. So there were lots of things that they didnt get a chance to expand on.

In G1 the world was built after the story, so everything already had an explanation.

I also think the addon was a result of what happens in pretty much all games, they just ran out of time to keep working on G2 and had a lot of ideas that they didnt manage to implement, so they saved them for the addon and expanded on the world a lot more.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:45 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I never want it to end i love the series to much but everything comes to a end eventually , well not the megaman series and Resident Evil is still going and good.

But as awesome as Gothic is , im really curious what PB would work on next just imagine look how good gothic is but think if they made another rpg completely different that would be pretty neat.

Hopefully a third person vampire rpg
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:04 pm
buttko
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
And yeah, I think G3 will get an add-on, but I don't think there will be a G4. Like Baldur's Gate, it would be wrong.. if the story ends, the story ends, simply dragging it out to make money weakens the overall story and reputation of the series(which too many devs have done to too many series already).

In G3 the story of the "unnamed" hero might end, its not like that the whole gothic fantasy world will come to its end. And also G4 could be about something that happened before G1 (maybe also with the same hero).
I I
I I
I I I
(__I__)
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:14 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

They make a reference to the Southern Isles in Gothic 2 and we know through official channels that they won't be in Gothic 3 proper. So maybe we get to explore them in the Gothic 3 addon.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:43 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
And yeah, I think G3 will get an add-on, but I don't think there will be a G4. Like Baldur's Gate, it would be wrong.. if the story ends, the story ends, simply dragging it out to make money weakens the overall story and reputation of the series

I hope PB either has a solid story for G4, or don't do it at all.

But with Gothic, the game only keeps getting better and that is something that can't be said for all serie-games
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:59 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

As long as PB don't start naming their games Gothic 20XX i don't have a problem with them. But sometimes i would have liked that they call their games like ultima games. Perhaps something like "Gothic 3: The false unnamed hero" or something equivalent.

For future products PB should find a good compromise between what they like to do and what gives them enough cash to do their next title because i don't hope that they are starting making games only out for commercial reasons and only because the game has the name gothic doesn't mean it will be good.. If they really want to make another RPG title in a fantasy setting then i would be happy, but if they decide to make a shooter because they really wnat to make one- why not.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:32 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next