Why are all MMORPG 3D? What I want in an RPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
P4rad0x
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why are all MMORPG 3D? What I want in an RPG

Everytime I play Baldur's Gate I say, damn I wish this was Massively Multiplayer. The World Detail is just so much greater when you have a top down RPG. Why are the best single player RPGs all top down? One because the same company makes all of them, but two because thats the best way to make an RPG. Now taking this into consideration, I don't see how all these MMORPG manufacturers put so much money into making a 3D RPG when in the single player market 3D RPG's suck. UO was back before Trammel, the best MMORPG. If UO reverted back to before that patch, I'd be back playing in a heart beat. All these new companies try to sell their product on graphics. Graphics don't make a fun MMORPG. Look at AC2. Best graphics in a MMORPG to date (if you have the hardware) but nothing else. The game is gonna be dead in a month. Lets all start calling for tradition top down rpg's to become Massively Multiplayer. I still think that the two coolest games every would be Baldur's Gate Online and Fallout Online. With the same graphics engines as they used before, yet edited for online play. How much money would that take. Very little compared to AC2's development costs.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:17 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I personally don't think that what you're saying has anything to do with engines, but rather with content. Engines have to serve the game concept, and sometimes it serves it well while in other cases it doesn't. I couldn't imagine playing BG in a 3D environment because of the whole strategic combat concept, but that doesn't mean that all 3D RPGs are crap

I do agree that sometimes some developers might sacrifice content for graphics, and that's why their games don't stack up to what we were given before. But to say that only isometric RPGs are good is extreme. If AC2 had more decent content it would have been better. If BG had had less content, and a lousy story, it wouldn't have been as good. It's as simple as that.

Graphics and engines don't make a game, they complement it. Besides, most isometric games are shunned by the general public and end up being ignored by the masses even if they are critically acclaimed.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:32 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

Just for you information... ac2 wont be dead in a month they are adding new content vigorously ... in september they plan to have housing.
And where have you been there have been plenty of "isometric" mmorpgs
ahem UO, Ragnarok Online, Lineage, to name a few... etc so go play one of those or the billion free isometric games. There is nothing wrong with spending money on a good graphics engine. First thing I look at when considering a game, before looking at reviews and reading forums is check out the engine.. if it suits my tastes I'll look heavier into it. usually graphics are important ... you are trying to be immersed into the world right?
well go look for those isometric rpgs and play them ... but dont go dissing 3dmmorpgs when you have such a biased opinion.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:34 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Re: Why are all MMORPG 3D? What I want in an RPG

quote:
Originally posted by P4rad0x
Lets all start calling for tradition top down rpg's to become Massively Multiplayer.
Not me. I can't stand the isometric view--it ruins the immersion for me. I hate being able to see what's on the other side of a solid wall just because I happen to be close enough to it to fit both sides on my screen. I don't want to see what I shouldn't be able to see yet!

I've never been able to get into BG or DD for that matter simply because of the non-adjustable isometric overhead view. It's a shame too because I have it on very good authority that they are both wonderful games--they're just not for me. An isometric game will not generally attract me because the only interest I have in a game is to be carried away and, so far, no iso game has managed to do that. For me it's all about the immersion and I don't seem to be able to get that from an iso game--the view is too unnatural. It's like seeing everything from a helicopter.

So you see? Every game that is a 1st or 3rd person game is a possible play choice for me. If the industry were to change so that all games were isometric I would likely not play computer games anymore... sad but true.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:16 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's all a matter of taste.

I don't play mmorpgs but personally, I think that isometric games don't provide any athmosphere. Alos, 2d games don't get much appeal so an isometric mmorpg will most likely go bankrupt in a very short time.

And not all the best single player rpgs are top down. You obviously only play IE games and you obvioulsy haven't played some of the best rpg's ever (new AND old) like UU 1&2 arx, gothic, Might and magic series etc.....

Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate top-down rpgs. I just personally think that they're outdated.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:24 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

It's all a matter of personal taste and suitability to the game concept but I disagree that iso is outdated. I've never seen a good strategic party implementation in a 1st/3rd person 3d game and I thoroughly enjoy those. Really, there should be a good mix of both types made as suited to the game material.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:57 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well...

Isometric view games tend to limit you in your interaction with surroundings. I can't remember many isometric BG-style games that allow you to jump or ride. Although, you get the more strategic feature.

Furthermore, uh... for example, Everquest gives you an isometric view if you adjust the camera. Several upcoming MMORPGs seems to have an isometric style (3rd person, slightly above ground... or something).

And I wouldn't say isometric games are shunned, I mean, HELLO? DIABLO 1 and 2? HELLO?
Besides, it's hard to compare. Most FPS games are 3d first person, FPS games sell pretty good. Most RPGs are 3rd person/isometric, RPGs CAN sell good. Most RTS are isometric. They sell good.

As for:

quote:

And not all the best single player rpgs are top down. You obviously only play IE games and you obvioulsy haven't played some of the best rpg's ever (new AND old) like UU 1&2 arx, gothic, Might and magic series etc.....

IE games ARE the best games ever...
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:56 pm
Laephis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Well...

Isometric view games tend to limit you in your interaction with surroundings. I can't remember many isometric BG-style games that allow you to jump or ride. Although, you get the more strategic feature.

You obviously are forgetting or have never played Ultima VII. I challenge anyone to find an RPG that allows you to interect with more of your surroundings than U7 does.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:25 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

RPG = Role Playing Game. I feel (please don't shoot me for exposing my feelings) it's easier to get into the role of an RGP in the 1st person prespective.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:04 pm
TreeTrunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I disagree with Ekim on this one. I would not be so quick to disregard the original poster's point. Ekim and I probably disagree about the quality of some recent 3d single-player RPG game titles. That would lead to our differing conclusions.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:08 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Re: Why are all MMORPG 3D? What I want in an RPG

[quote="P4rad0x"]Everytime I play Baldur's Gate I say, damn I wish this was Massively Multiplayer. The World Detail is just so much greater when you have a top down RPG. [quote]

All MMORPG 3D?
Eh...
Did you concider playing UO?
Or Lineage?
Or the less known but ultima inspired Dransik?

Parcival
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:38 pm