System Shock?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

Problems:
This week I was lucky to buy System Shock 2 by means of Amazon’s private selling. The positive remarks here in the forums about that game have convinced me, thanks!

It is for Win95, I have XP home edition, service pack 1.

After the successful installation, the window about the compatibility appeared. I used the compatibility assistant, accepted Win95 and the other proposals, and then I was able to play the game without any problems: graphics, sound, gameplay, savings and loadings were working very fine for more than 2 hours. I was pleased.

Yesterday evening I wanted to go on playing, but it was impossible. I tried to start the game several times, with auto run as well as with the game icon in the program folder, but after a few seconds I always got the picture with “Xerxes is checking ...”. Then the text about compatibility problems appeared. With the right mouse button I checked the game icons, whether the compatibility mode, which I selected the day before, was still active. And it was exactly the way how I had fixed it.

What did I make wrong? It would be nice to get some help.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:43 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup i ment Privateer 2 The Darkening awesome game imo

About that question why the game wont run anymore it could be that u need only a restart but if it still wont start then i think after the restart u made earlyer [before u readed this post] changed somekind of configuration in somekind of file and it is just conflicting now with it , you could tho check out to uninstall it and install it again. if it wont still run then u could actually install Win 95 or if u dont have that then u can probably buy it nowdays for very cheap. And just install 2 OS systems 1 will be Win 95 and the other will be Win XP.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:34 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thanks for your indications, Daedalus. I will try them out, and report next week.
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:50 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

At last, System Shock 2 is running!

I did not dare to install a second OS, that is why I have googled, and I found the two following pieces of advice:

In the file shock.cfg I have changed "hardware" from 1 to 0.

In dxdiag "sound" I have deactivated the hardware acceleration.

Now the game is running very fine directly under winXP, without any compatibility mode.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:21 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Thank you for the info. Seems to be a lot easier to get SS2 to run under XP than Thief 1 .
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:49 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

Mysterious XP ! I have played Thief 1 around Xmas 2003 on the same pc-system (like now SS2), but without altering the original adjustments, and I had no problems with it.
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:29 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

must have been somekind of updated Windows XP
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:22 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Thief 1 and 2 refuse to play the FMVs under newer XP updates because an old video codec is needed which isn't registered by default anymore. Plus the Radeon 9600 series seems to have problems with the T1 textures when a certain driver series is used (not OS-related, but still). But there are workarounds for both problems.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:59 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

I have bought the system in April 2003, and I have to admit, that the drivers etc. are not updated (the pc is not online), there is only a second graphics card now. I have played Thief 1 and 2 with that stinking GForce 4 mx 440 SE with AGP 8x ...
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:31 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe Gforce 4 440mx aint that bad i had actually the same card like 1 year back but in future coming games it became indeed too weak
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:24 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

You are right, Daedalus! As long as I have been playing with it, not knowing, how a game is looking like with a better graphics card, I have been quite content with that GF 4 MX .... But there a games, which I can not play with that card, that is why it is stinking a bit .

On the other hand: Momentary I am using it again, because System Shock 2 does not like my new graphics card (also Nvidia).
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:35 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Downloaded and played the demo for System Shock2.

Awesome game.

Love the hacking & psionics.

I need to find the full-version!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:10 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I liked it a lot, but... I liked System Shock 1 better. No. 2 never managed to impress me the way the first one did.
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:55 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2