Usergroups
Sin City
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Sin City

Well, what do you guys think? I just saw it, and while I cannot deny that it was extremely well made and was an overall good movie, it just wasn't for me. It seemed as if they just threw in violence for violence's sake.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:40 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Haven't read the comic book, eh? If it really is violent, then they were staying true to the original material which is what Frank Miller wanted. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's on my list.
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:21 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Oh believe me, it's violent.
Two words: Multiple castrations

quote from movie- "He made me watch while he sucked the flesh off my bones! HE MADE ME WATCH!!!"

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:35 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

It was violent but the blood and gore was cleverly handled, and didn't seem that prominent. The acting could of used some work.

I didn't catch Tarantino's scene.
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:26 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I'll see it, since its on my list. Look cool AND good enough (I haven't read the comic book, btw). Sorta like Kill Bill vol.1 only more Hollywood wise.
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:06 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It was excellent. I love film noir!

The acting was spot on for the 1940s pulp detective novel feel. Everyone did a good job of saying lines that sound cheesy as all hell by todays standards without cracking up.

The visuals were some of the most creative to come out of Hollywood in years. This movie couldn't have been done in full color... it would have been nothing but sensationalized violence ... another dull action flick at first glance.

The scene arrangement was well done. Very reminiscent of Pulp Fiction but that's not a surprise, really.

It was very much a living graphic novel. If I hadn't seen I don't think I could have thought it possible to be THAT TRUE to the layout and feel of a graphic novel.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:56 pm
solidsnake9415
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Sin City

What about monkyes!!! i havent seen the movie yet but the color graphics looks good. evey guy has a HUMAGUZ BLOCK HEAD!!!!!! but it has hot ninja movies.. so i give it a thumbs up!
Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:52 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There was only one monkey and he got exactly what he deserved. The ninja was definitely attractive, yes.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:51 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Woo! Just saw it. They really nailed the characters from the comic. A bit too blood and gutsy for my usual taste, but the film didn't disappoint. It was like watching a Sin City graphic novel brought to life, so I got my money's worth.
Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:36 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

A bit much for my usual tastes as well... but that was the thing: I found it violent but not gratuitously violent. Every action had a purpose behind it... as twisted as those purposes were.

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:23 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

True, which is the saving grace of quite a bit of Frank Miller's work.
Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:21 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fantastic movie. I don't get to go out much or go to the movies much but this was definitly worth the ticket price and baby sitter price.

Semi-spoilers follow:

I'm not a big fan of the the third scene with the guy with the red sneakers. The ninja girl was good but the rest wasn't in my opinion. But the other two stories were great.

I can't stand some reviews. Especially ones that try to infuse this movie with deeper meanings. Its a damn graphic novel adaptation for christ's sake. Like this monkey idiot retard review.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/218296_sincity01q.html

"Sitting through the thing, watching scene after scene in which I was being asked to be entertained by the spectacle of helpless people being tortured, I kept thinking of those clean-cut young American guards at Abu Ghraib. That is exactly the mentality Rodriguez is celebrating here. "Sin City" is their movie."

What? What a filthy monkey moron. I want to celebrate the mentality of me wanting to give this stupid moron a mushroom stamp. I can't stand tyrantical fools who want nothing else but to infuse and force their morality down other peoples throats. Ethics is a school of philosophy, along with epistimology and metaphysics. And being philosphy no ones take on an ethical issue will ever be correct or absolute. Save your moral judgement for non comic book adaption movies.
Post Fri May 06, 2005 9:25 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There was nothing entertaining about the torture ... whether done by the bad guys or the worse guys (Bruce Willis' 'Hardigan' was the only remotely 'good' guy in the film). That may have been part of the point.

Critics take themselves too seriously. The graphic novel existed long before the Iraq fiasco. Can't hold off on a movie just because the world is in a handbasket.

Post Tue May 10, 2005 1:26 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I liked its creativity and artistic direction, but the stories were somewhat predictable and the violence and blood/guts over the top for me. Maybe I just don't like cannibals enough...ugh.
Post Thu May 12, 2005 5:45 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I watched the movie, never read the comic but loved the movie
the strange look that it was a black/white movie and the other moment it wasn't. than one of my favo acters: bruce
the big guy was so funny and the swithcing of coats so many times just hilarious.
It was totally not a girl movie and real painfull to watch by all the balls that got blast or wripped of

ohja did anyone notice the "weird" shape of the wapen of that killerblond ninja?
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next