Members
Usergroups
Need Opinion Before Buying Wizardry
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Judging from the screenshots, the game appears to be very dark. There doesn't seem to be many bright areas like towns. Is it this dark throughout most of the game?

Also, I've read about the sci-fi element in Wizardry - Is it a main part of the game or just a bit at the end like in Might & Magic?

Any other comments will be appreciated.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 1:00 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-12-05 19:00, Avatar wrote:
Judging from the screenshots, the game appears to be very dark. There doesn't seem to be many bright areas like towns. Is it this dark throughout most of the game?

Oh, no - those are probably shots of the landscape at dusk or dawn. In the daytime the game is quite bright. And the towns (from what I saw) were normally bright, but some areas are perpetually gloomy, regardless. The Swamp area is rainy and overcast all the time.
quote:

Also, I've read about the sci-fi element in Wizardry - Is it a main part of the game or just a bit at the end like in Might & Magic?

No, it starts pretty much when you get to the first town, and you discover....things. I'm sure it's similar to the Might & Magic storyline.
quote:

Any other comments will be appreciated.

Too much emphasis on fighting, fighting, fighting all the time. If that's your bag, hey great - it sure wasn't mine. I also found the starting of the game wasn't very linear, and spawned monsters that were WAY beyond your party's puny capabilities - VERY unfair and generally annoying, in my opinion. I much prefer the Might & Magic type of RPG where you might meet some pretty tough cookies - but if you manage to toast 'em, you can rest assured that they won't be back for at least a month or two of game time. Once they're gone, they STAY gone, so you can wander around unmolested. In Wiz 8, you might beat up on a bunch of monsters - but more and more land on you incessantly at random, often before you can get a breather. On the road between the two towns, I got surrounded by no less than 30 monsters. I had to reload a dozen times before I could get somewhere to rest up. I felt I wasn't getting anywhere in the game. I'm no longer playing it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents....

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-12-05 21:36 ]
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 3:34 am
Azareal
Assassin in the Night
Assassin in the Night

Its definitely a different game than most RPG's out now, in Wizardry 8 you pretty much NEED to learn some sort of invis spell, or just be very good at sneaking. Too many monsters spawn up during the beginning of the game, I read a way to see the spawn times, and they were nuts on some levels, around a couple of groups spawned a minute, no matter what youre doing.

The sci-fi element is in there, pretty much from the start of the game, but I like the way it was merged into the medieval setting as well.

Over-all a good game.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:39 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i picked up a copy only a couple of days ago and wasn't impressed. i felt the combat mode was a little out of date. it has a turned based early 90's feel to it. if you are into that sort of thing it might be a plus, however i tend to shy away from that style of game play.

i did enjoy the animated cut-scenes & thought the paper-mache feel was a nice touch. however, this is obviously only a small portion of the game.

to be totally honest i didn't give the game more than a couple of hours of play time before it became tiresome; then i returned it. in my opinion your better off avoiding wizardry 8.

[ This Message was edited by: txiabxyooj on 2001-12-06 13:19 ]
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:18 pm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

3 replies with 2 negative comments and one neutral. Is Wizardry 8 really as good as the reviews make it out to be?

I'm wondering, how hard is the fighting really? I mean, does it make you want to bang your head against a wall, or is it challenging?

I don't like the sci-fi element either - That's one reason why I never finished MM6,7,8, after playing for 95% of those games. I mean, if I wanted blasters, I would get a copy of Quake or Doom.

Is there a difficulty setting that you can adjust? So you won't have to reload every minute?

Problem is for me, if I don't get Wiz8, then what can I get? I need something that's similar to Might & Magic (can't wait for MM9), but w/o the sci-fi element. First person view preferred.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:12 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-12-06 13:18, txiabxyooj wrote:
i picked up a copy only a couple of days ago and wasn't impressed. i felt the combat mode was a little out of date. it has a turned based early 90's feel to it. if you are into that sort of thing it might be a plus, however i tend to shy away from that style of game play.

So what style do you like best? More real-time combat? I wish they'd incorporated real-time into this game, so you could just run away if you were getting the crap beat out of you.
quote:

to be totally honest i didn't give the game more than a couple of hours of play time before it became tiresome; then i returned it. in my opinion your better off avoiding wizardry 8.

And of course I agree. Although I did play about 6 hours of time on it, before I got totally fed up. Unfortunately, it was past the time limit on returning it, but I'll just trade it in.

==Hawkwind==
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:44 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-12-06 18:12, Avatar wrote:
3 replies with 2 negative comments and one neutral. Is Wizardry 8 really as good as the reviews make it out to be?

No.
quote:

I'm wondering, how hard is the fighting really? I mean, does it make you want to bang your head against a wall, or is it challenging?

It makes you want to shoot the programmer, the developer & the distributer of the game, as well as all the people who raved about it (not necessarily in that order) Then shoot yourself.
quote:

I don't like the sci-fi element either - That's one reason why I never finished MM6,7,8, after playing for 95% of those games. I mean, if I wanted blasters, I would get a copy of Quake or Doom.

Heh heh. Well, there's not THAT much emphasis on the sci-fi end of it. Might & Magic hardly had any in the first three quarters of the game - it was sprinkeled slightly throughout. But it was the end of the game where you had the space ship & the robots/droids/blasters etc. I didn't mind that aspect too much.
quote:

Is there a difficulty setting that you can adjust? So you won't have to reload every minute?

I was playing the game on the so-called 'easiest' NOVICE setting right from the beginning. And still I ran into ridiculous masses of monsters, and too-tough-for-this-level monsters.
quote:

Problem is for me, if I don't get Wiz8, then what can I get? I need something that's similar to Might & Magic (can't wait for MM9), but w/o the sci-fi element. First person view preferred.

Well, I thought the same as you. But you'd be better off without it. Play the demo if you want a feel for the game.

==Hawkwind==
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:57 am
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I don't know whats wrong with you people... Wizardry 8 is just as good as all the reviews make it out to be if not better. It's the revitalization of a sub-genre of a RPG's that has pretty much been dead the last 5-6 years or more with the exception of M&M 6,7 and 8, first person perspective multi char party rpg with turn based combat. And the latest M&M games really didn't have the classic turn based combat. If you don't like the game because of the type of RPG it is then just say so, but don't bash it just because you don't like this type of RPG. Wizardry 8 is one of the best RPG's of it's sub-genre and one of my favorite rpg's of all time. It's everything I liked about the classic rpg's such as Lands of Lore, M&M 3 etc. but in a modern day form....

[ This Message was edited by: Incindium on 2001-12-06 19:19 ]
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:17 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

hawkwind, i enjoy many styles of game-play, i.e. third person, first, turn-based etc. however, my favorite role-player type games tend to be first-person "thinking-man" games like deus ex and system shock 2. the big turn-off for me with the wizrdry 8 interface was the inability to see anything my characters were doing during game play. it felt like i was trapped in a box. real-time would have been a plus.

[ This Message was edited by: txiabxyooj on 2001-12-07 12:42 ]
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:24 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

incidium, i can respect your tenacity in defending a certain style of game play, but others dislike of that style hardly warrants the question: "what is wrong with you guys?" rather, you might have asked why people don't care for a style of game-play that you preport to support. what is it that attracts you to the wizardy 8 interface? i would love to know because i can't seem to get into it.

i think folks were just trying to give avatar a heads-up on wizardry 8 before he/she went out and picked up a copy of a game that he/she might regret.

by-the-way, avatar i am beginning to enjoy gothic. i was initially frustrated by the game's reliance on a key-board only interface, but am now beginning to become accustomed to it. check out the gothic posting forum for more info. also, per my prior posting deus ex and system shock 2 are both great if you haven't tried them; the price is down on both so they won't require a huge financial commitment.

[ This Message was edited by: txiabxyooj on 2001-12-07 12:36 ]
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:33 pm
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wizzie 8 is MY choice for best game of 2001.
Gothic comes in a close 2nd.

Try the demo. If you love it, then you'll love the game. I dunno about you guys, but I absolutely love the battle system. One of my favs ever.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:14 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-12-06 19:17, Incindium wrote:
I don't know whats wrong with you people... Wizardry 8 is just as good as all the reviews make it out to be if not better.

I respect your opinion, Incindium, but the game is a huge disappointment to me - and I am a big fan of the 1st-Person RPG. I won't go into the reasons why I disliked the game again.
quote:

It's the revitalization of a sub-genre of a RPG's that has pretty much been dead the last 5-6 years or more with the exception of M&M 6,7 and 8, first person perspective multi char party rpg with turn based combat.

Well, I hope that more of this style of RPG are released, because it IS my favourite - but if Wiz 8 is any indication of what Wiz 1-7 were like - I'm glad I never played them.
quote:

And the latest M&M games really didn't have the classic turn based combat.

What? The M&M series had turn-based combat. But the great thing about it was that you could turn it on and off. You can't do that in Wiz 8. In M&M, if you were getting beat to a pulp, you could just turn off turn-based and run for the hills! (avoiding the spells and arrows etc.)
quote:

If you don't like the game because of the type of RPG it is then just say so, but don't bash it just because you don't like this type of RPG.

Er.....what? I don't like the game because of the combat interface. But I'd still have hated the game, because I think there's way too much emphasis on combat & far too many monsters. So, even if they HAD done the game the same as M&M I MIGHT have played it a bit longer, but I think I would have got tired of the incessant fighting (and doing very little else) and scrapped it.
quote:

Wizardry 8 is one of the best RPG's of it's sub-genre and one of my favorite rpg's of all time. It's everything I liked about the classic rpg's such as Lands of Lore, M&M 3 etc. but in a modern day form....

Well, I completely disagree. I hope 3DO release a new M&M soon. I'm waiting to see what Morrowind will be like, although Daggerfall left a bad taste in my mouth years ago. Gothic really isn't my kind of RPG, but I have to say I found the demo interesting.

==Hawkwind==

Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:48 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-12-07 12:24, txiabxyooj wrote:
hawkwind, i enjoy many styles of game-play, i.e. third person, first, turn-based etc. however, my favorite role-player type games tend to be first-person "thinking-man" games like deus ex and system shock 2.

While I certainly share your enthusiasm about System Shock 2 (that game gave me nightmares) I don't see how you can classify them as 'RPGs' While they both had one or 2 elements of an RPG, they certainly can't be classified as such. I never cared for Deus Ex - it started off as an Action game, and then sort of dwindled into an adventure game.

==Hawkwind==
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:55 am
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hawkwind I guess we will just have to agree to disagree... Arggg... You say bad things about Wizardry 8 and in then also about Daggerfall which although flawed was one of the most fun RPG's I've played. LOL your RPG opinions just end up rubbing me the wrong way. I really don't want to turn this in to a heated argument so I'll just try my best to ignore your posts from now on
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:22 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-12-07 21:22, Incindium wrote:
Hawkwind I guess we will just have to agree to disagree... Arggg... You say bad things about Wizardry 8 and in then also about Daggerfall which although flawed was one of the most fun RPG's I've played.

(shudder) ohhhhkayyyy.....

Come on, Incindium - the game (Daggerfall) - when you could actually PLAY it without one of the gazillion bugs locking/freezing/falling through the game/dumping-you-to-desktop etc. - was BRUTAL! I mean dungeons that reset everything back to the way it was every time you left and came back again (how realistic is THAT?)
quote:

LOL your RPG opinions just end up rubbing me the wrong way.

As do yours, my friend - as do yours...
quote:

I really don't want to turn this in to a heated argument

Awwww. Why not? I could use a bit of brawl of words these days...
quote:

so I'll just try my best to ignore your posts from now on

Ah, well I guess you'll have to since the truth hurts, right?

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-12-07 22:46 ]
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:44 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next