SoU: Arcane Archer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

SoU: Arcane Archer

I was wondering if I needed one level as a sorcerer or wizard to become an Arcane Archer? I am an elf and a ranger, I have the requirements I need to become it, but I can't cast spell, I don't have any spells (Why don't I have spells?)
So does that mean that I don't have the ability to cast arcane spells? Would then a level as a sorcerer or wizard help?
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:58 pm
ScOut3R
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Hi Aphazel!

You have to have one level in a class, which uses arcane spell (wizard/sorcerer/bard). Yes, rangers can cast spells. Their casting ability is wisdom based, just like the druid or cleric. He can casts druid-like spells, but fewer.
Hope it'll help!
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:20 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

Thanks.
I know that ranger can cast spells, but I just don't get it to work. I have even tried to cheat, giving myself levelup's and edited my wisdom (without saving offcurse) But I can't cast those spells..the only spell-level that shows is the cantrips-level, and there's no spells there. But since there's only 4 level of spells maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:27 pm
ScOut3R
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I have a 11th level ranger/1wizard/4 arcane archer, and she can casts 1st and 2nd level spells.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:33 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Rangers (and paladins) start to get spells (not counting cantrips) at level 6. To be able to cast a spell, you must have wisdom equal to 10 + spell level. For example, to cast level 3 spells, you need a wisdom of 13.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:40 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

I know the wisdom requirement, I have 14 in wisdom so I need not worry about that anymore
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:44 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

hmm, i think i misunderstood the requirement. i thought that rangers couldn't become arcane archers because they couldn't cast arcane spells, only divine spells. apparently i am wrong.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:24 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Nope, you're right. They can't become arcane archers without taking at least one level in an arcane casting class.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:49 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

having to take one level of wizard/sorc. is a real weakness of this class. you end up with one level of spells that aren't really very useful and a familiar who is too weak to do anything worth doing. i would much rather be able to take another level in the arcane archer class and get the bonuses that come with it, instead of dumping my precious levels into a class with no future.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:45 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by txiabxyooj
having to take one level of wizard/sorc. is a real weakness of this class. you end up with one level of spells that aren't really very useful and a familiar who is too weak to do anything worth doing. i would much rather be able to take another level in the arcane archer class and get the bonuses that come with it, instead of dumping my precious levels into a class with no future.

Hear, hear! The AA class sounds cool, but that restriction kills it ... especially now that I've learned NWN limits a player to only 3 classes!!
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

No need for that wasted wiz/sorc level. You can build your AA in only one additional level by starting as a bard.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:48 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
No need for that wasted wiz/sorc level. You can build your AA in only one additional level by starting as a bard.

Since I am relegated to solo playing now I don't really consider bard as an option ... hmmmm .... I wonder what a solo bard would be like? Their bard songs are less useful the smaller the party ... but they do get spells and some other cool things.

I will have to ponder this ... but I think I still say "poo" to the bard as a solo class. *grin*
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:07 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I've never had the guts to try one SP either. For that matter, the bard I played MP for many weeks (in preparation for his career change) got caught up in some unpleasantness at the server level and never achieved his dreams.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:14 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

@dte, what is it about artists and their failed dreams? could it be that the failure to realize their full potential some how gives depth to a bards' songs: furthuring their companions desire to battle and fight for glory? ahhh, the woes of a bard.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:29 am
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Sounds like a bard/Harper/AA would be great.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:23 pm