Difficult games
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Difficult games

I’m playing right now the original “Commandos – behind the enemy lines” (to get ready for third installment ), and in my opinion - this is one tough cookie. On the scale 1 to 10 I would give at least hard 8. Of course I would also give IWD 7.5. I know that sometimes the way you play or character you choose has impact of the overall performance, but I mean the games that no matter what you have, it is pain in the a** just to go by.

So what other games are difficult out there? And did the frustration take better of you?
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:12 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Heh! Wizardry 7 It's hard to beat this baby in terms of being hard. But finishing it was so satisfactory... From recent non-RPGs I found "Hearts of Iron" to be pretty challenging.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:29 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Im finding Arx Fatalis to be pretty hard
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:28 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Beat me to it with Wizardry 7, that's my nomination as well.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:49 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Wish I could get my original Wiz7 disks to work on my current XP system!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:32 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by corwin

Have you tried the thing I adviced you in this thread: http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36230 ? It should work, I think.

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:46 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

As I said in another thread the recent game Galactic civilizations is extremely hard. To beat it on its third highest setting has been impossible for me. Its hardest setting is just abuse.

Wizardry 8 is a hard rpg especially if you were to try iron man. Lionheart is also very hard so far from my experience.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:35 am
corwin

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
quote:
Originally posted by corwin

Have you tried the thing I adviced you in this thread: http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36230 ? It should work, I think.

I downloaded the dosbox program at the time, but I still couldn't get Wiz7 to run from the original disks. I haven't seen Wiz gold in years.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:50 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

eBay had three entries for Wizardry Gold today. The problem is that you may find it more hard to make WizGold run on XP than original Wiz7 It is Windows program, so if compatibility problem will occur there is no emulator of any sort.

With regard to Wiz7 original disks I think your problem is that you cannot install game in the first place? Installation just won't run, or won't run correctly? I had the same problem on Win2K, and I cheated DOSBox or similar emulators do not do well with installation of DOS games. There is a problem with virtual/logical drives there. So I installed Wiz7 on another PC running Win98 (or even Win95? I'd prefer DOS 6.22 though ) and simply copied files to my Win2K PC. Now I could run it with DOSBox with few minor problems. 30 mins of tuning and voila! Then I simply put Wiz7 folder as it was in a ZIP archive, and made my own install package That's how you run old games in the XXI century

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:05 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yep, I certainly spent plenty of time on Wizardry 7 (I played it as "Wizadry Gold").

Regarding more recent games, I think Baldur's Gate 2 could be difficult at times from the combat aspect. For many of the major battles, you couldn't just turn your brain off and go .."ok, another combat". You actually had to plan out good strategies as to what spells to cast, and even which weapons to use. I think the designers did a good job of keeping the combat interesting throughout the entire game.

Wiz8 was good at this too, but only through the middle stages of the game. In the latter part of the game there is little to fear (save for a few notable exceptions on Ascension Peak ) provided you designed the "right" party.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:02 am