Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Did Gothic 2 live up to the hype? Everyones expectation met?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Did Gothic 2 live up to the hype? Everyones expectations met?
Yes, Definately!!!! Best game EVERRRRR!!!!!!!
61%
 61%  [ 26 ]
Nah, The game is good...but i expected more.
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
What hype? I am utterly content with what i got out of it!
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Is there a Caholic in the forum? First name Al Last name Caholic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I never played the first one, but i really like this one!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I never played the first one...and by the looks of the second...thank god i never did...I hate this rpg.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

Author Thread
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

I haven't got very far into it yet because I haven't been playing it much (only a 32 mb video card so the visuals aren't worth writing home for, at the moment!!) but I'm on chapter 2 and I just got into the mine valley, it has hardly changed at all! Its nice meeting the old gang again. Personally I thought that gothic one was better, but theese are first impressions/early days so we'll see later on what I think. Love the way that the people worship you because I'm a mage, especially giving the guards to the upper quarter a bollocking for their sacrilige! Jobs a good one pb!

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:03 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm horribly addicted to the game

Last night I tried sleeping at 10 pm, but I stayed awake until 2 Am thinking about the game. I like how HUGE the gameworld is and the multiple solutions to the quests.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:22 am
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic 2 is just about the most amazing games I've played except for one thing

THE VOICE ACTING IS %^&*

Why oh why do gaming co's spend millions making a game and then ruining the immersion w/ crappy voice acting?
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:40 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hype? Aside from here on the ol' 'Dot, not much.

Anyway, Gothic 2 did surprise me in a positive way. I expected it to have improved from Gothic 1 in terms of skill system, combat and general gameplay, which it had, for the most part. The skill system was way better, allowing greater diversity in characters.

I mean, the friggin' key combos and combat dancing are still there, but this time I can use the mouse way better.
The manual was also very improved from the last time, it gave a good intro. Trading, and stuff like that, were also smoother.

HOWEVER, it seems like they did a worse job of translating and making the dialogues work properly than in Gothic 1. Many times, what you heard on the audio differed from what was written in the text boxes. And the dialogue options were (a couple of times) COMPLETELY different from what you actually said.

And a bit overkill on the using of 2D model.

Also, was Gothic 2 shorter than Gothic 1? or maybe that's just what it seemed?
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:48 am
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Unlikely that Gothic 2 is shorter than Gothic 1 given Gothic 2's gameworld is about twice as large as that of Gothic 1
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:49 am
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yeah, if gothic 2 is a longer game, it's not by much. It took me only 2 hours longer to complete gothic 2 then gothic 1.

I don't think world size matters much,after the first couple of chapters you just spend most of the time teleporting anyway.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:37 pm
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Problem w/ Gothic 2 is it doesn't have the same level of immersion in the world as Gothic 1. For some reason I felt that the world in Gothic 1 is more believable.

ALthough I still am only in the first chapter of Gothic 2
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:13 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have to agree with oozle on one thing.. the voices. For a new Gothic player I assume the voices seem great, but for us "veterans" it sounds like shit to listen to the new "Diego-Texas-Ranger" or the "Boyscout-Lares"(remember, this guy sounded like Sylvester Stallone in G1).

They should've kept the same voices on the people from G1.. I refuse to believe that it was completely impossible(exception: They all died, let's not hope this horrible exception is the truth).
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:43 pm
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'm in Chapter 2 with over 22K of xp right now.

I'm 30 years old and I feel like a kid again adventuring the lands of Gothic II Playing Gothic I was one of those "never forget" gaming moments/highlights of my life. Gothic series is one that I'd never wish to end.

To the gods at Piranha Bytes: I hope to see Gothic X someday
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:44 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmmm, mounts never really thought about that whoever brought that up,that might be some fun but i doubt it. lares i didnt really notice a change in his voice but i guess thats cause i never really talked to him except for that one game that a joined the new camp and that was a long time ago, but i have one thing to say about the translations... if you're gonna push the release date back so many times then why not push it back a few more weeks and make sure that all the translating is correct or at least in the same languqage as the rest of the game ie: the animal trophies and the forging, if there it anything thats not fully translated i didnt find it yet but i want to know one more thing... WHAT THE FUCK IS A BILLET!?!?!?!?
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:48 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2