Gothic crashes when I save my game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
DarkMouse
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic crashes when I save my game

Obviously this makes it impossible to play.

I played, enjoyed, and finished Gothic a while back. A little while ago I tried to launch it again and it crashed upon startup. Recently I updated my video (ATI Radeon 9500 Pro) drivers to Catalyst 1.10 and now it works, much to my delight; however, it crashes whenever I save my game. I have the latest patch installed and all. Any ideas ?
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:35 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Read the Gothic 2 troubleshooting FAQ. Maybe something sounds familiar.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:05 am
DarkMouse
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nothing there matches my problem.

Some more details-- The save bar moves one notch, then Gothic shrinks to a small window at the upper left of my display (as it always does before a crash) and gives me a general protection fault in the usual fashion. I have no other savegames in my directory. Other than that the game works fine
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:36 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

Try to save your game at all the other slots .There are 20.Try it in everyone maybe hte problem is at the slots sometimes if you save many times at the same slot your saved game brokes or the game collapses.
Also try to unistalling and then reinstalling the game copy/paste your saved games to c;?program files/jowood/gothic 2/saves or wherever you kinstalled your game.
If that doesnt work either then is the ULTIMATE "trick" which every serius gamer Knows .....tarata tam tam tam tam taaaaaammmmm
*FORAMT* at all its glory 'cause maybe there are some f*cked up files.
I hope I helped you.
note:do NOT mess with the updates
everyone keeps say to update and update
do you know whether an update supports other stuffs??????????
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:18 pm
DarkMouse
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Tried everything but formatting, still no luck . Deleted all the empty save folders, moved the game directory, ran scandisk, defragmented, started a new game, moved to a different area, occupied an NPC, and saved in the last slot. Exact same crash and error. It creates the folder but apparently has trouble writing the files. It points to 'NPCanimation' or something like that in the error.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:22 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by DarkMouse
Tried everything but formatting, still no luck . Deleted all the empty save folders, moved the game directory, ran scandisk, defragmented, started a new game, moved to a different area, occupied an NPC, and saved in the last slot. Exact same crash and error. It creates the folder but apparently has trouble writing the files. It points to 'NPCanimation' or something like that in the error.

Well I playGothic this days and the game crashes every 15-20min so I watch out my time and save before that time passes.But your problem is worst than mine, you cant really play Gothic under these circumstances.So my advise is to ask someone who maybe knows things better than me or do Format.Format is NOT to be afraid and it dont mean that you are going to lose your files.
But if the uninstalling reinstalling didnt helped then what can I say...I dont advise you to do format unless you are familiarized with it.But if you end up choosing format check out some notes:(if you dont know how ,ask a friend who knows)First partition your hard disk so you can move to the second partition all the files you want to save.For example if your H.Disk is 40GB then partition it in this way C:10gb and D:(or whatever the name is)30gb.10b for windows system the rest for games and stuff.Then format C: and setup windows again in C:.After this move the files from D: to C:.Format D:.Then move back all the files to D:.Finally erase the files that have been moved from C: to D:.Defragment to both partitions.It sounds painful but in that way you know that your system isnt the fault or same operating files arent f*cked up.
WELL DONT THINK THAT I WANT YOU TO DO THIS.TRY ASKING OTHERS FIRST OR WHATEVER MAY HELPS.
...the whole situation is just a shot in the dark....as OZZY would said
I hope you find the solution without formating anything.
The problem is caused propably from the game itself but you never know.
Are you sure you uninstalled Gothic the right way fron add/remove programs at the Control Panel..?When you uninstall Gothic the computer shows you a window of whitch way you want to uninstall it.Did you press the right button?The one which says *ustom or automatic* or something like this.
Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:41 am