Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Zero tolerance policies in schools
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Zero tolerance in schools...
Is an excellent program, and should not be changed.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Is good, but has a few problems that should be fixed.
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Does more harm than good.
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author Thread
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Zero tolerance policies in schools

Recently I’ve been reading about school zero tolerance politicizes in the US and Canada, and I’ve read some strange things. Personally I think these policies were started with the best of intentions, but have been perverted to the point of doing more harm than good and should be scrapped entirely for a program that tries to fit the punishment to the crime. I say if a student is found bringing a real firearm, or illegal drugs, to schools then they should be turned into the police, however should not be suspended/expelled for bringing a two inch plastic key-chain of a gun, or over the counter headache medicine. A key-chain is nothing more than that, a key-chain, it is not weapon; even a sharp pointed one is no more a weapon than an ordinary pencil. I have a little plastic skull key-chain, but that doesn’t mean I have people’s severed heads buried in my backyard. I do not believe zero tolerance prevents any real crimes anymore than a flexible policy does, and only serves as a miscarriage of justice.

So what do you think, is zero tolerance in schools a good policy or should the punishment fit the crime?
If you support zero tolerance, then does it need to be modified?

Some articles from both sides.
Kids are out of control, thus the program is needed.
Short, very right wing, article supporting zero tolerance. *Note, I read about the case referred to in the first paragraph of this article (girl with a kitchen knife) elsewhere. I believe the writer seriously misrepresented the case, you can read why here.
Zero tolerance run amuck. *If you only read one, I recommend this one.
A policy that is too harsh.
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:10 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I am all for letting the punishment fit the crime. Why must laws be written to make things that could be so simple become so difficult.
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:56 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I'm Lawful good at University
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:15 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

zero tolerance is rubbish. zero is of course impossible to achieve, for various reasons, but allows excessive harshness under other circumstances.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:19 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i think the idea behind a zero tolerance program is good. however, sometimes in the application it gets a little out of control. i don't think education institutions should put up with violence, weapons, or drugs. however, your plastic key chain gun is hardly a weapon. but, if you brought in a replica type key chain i could see how that might cause problems. the point is to draw a line in the sand...sometimes it doesn't matter where the line is drawn. the important thing is that the policy is clear & resonable. unfortunately US law isn't about being reasonable. it is about money and loop holes; protecting our rights & liberties without concern for our civil duties and responsibilities. unfortunately often this means that the law is twisted or mutated into something that misses the point entirely. this is the problem with so called zero tolerance laws. they have good intentions and with proper application they could be a good thing. but, many school admistrations are too afraid being sued. so they take the policy to its utmost absurd limits. this is america...the land of lawyers.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:08 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Somewhere along the line, "educators" have lost sight of the fact that adolescent's role in life is to push the limits and authoritative buttons. Punishing them for doing so is just plain retarded. On the other hand, showing them where the lines are, that they are not allowed to cross, is only natural. After all, that is the purpose of their "pushing:" to find where the lines are. Drawing lines of unacceptable behaviour in an unrealistic manner will breed a generation of people who have no guidance on what is right and what is wrong.
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:43 pm