Heroes of Might & Magic V Review @ Hooked Gamers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Heroes of Might & Magic V Review @ Hooked Gamers

Hooked Gamers has posted their review of Heroes of Might & Magic V. Giving it 8/10, the reviewer, Falconer, had this to say: <blockquote><em>At heart, Heroes of Might & Magic V is still very much the same turnbased strategy game we know and love. Most of the changes that have been implemented are subtle enough not to unbalance things too much, while at the same time freshening things up a little. <br> <br>While my initial impressions of the game were not that positive --the campaign started off very slowly and did not appeal to me at all-- once the plot twists started kicking in, I was sucked in completely and and before I knew it, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion that I had been playing before I started Heroes of Might & Magic V had become nothing more than a distant memory. All things considered, the game is a worthy addition to the series, offering hours upon hours of fun gameplay, just like its predecessors did. </em></blockquote>Read the rest <a href="http://www.hookedgamers.com/forwarder.html?http://www.hookedgamers.com/reviews/2006/5/heroes_of_might_and_magic_v/" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Sun May 21, 2006 6:23 pm
Father Omally

The legend of HOMM is reborn!

Great Aunt Petunia! The rpg renaissance has begun at last. True salvation is here unlike the falsehoods of the false Bethesda gaming prophets with their work of pure greed and disrespectful deceptive hype churning crapitude of stinky decrepit bowel movements known as Oblivion!

Ah the smell of cleansing rpg napalm in the morning! Praise the good ones who do it right making our lives bright with divine gaming joy!
Post Sun May 21, 2006 6:32 pm

You do know that this isn't an rpg but an rpg-like strategy game.
Post Sun May 21, 2006 11:24 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Oh man, there are certainly several RPG elements in this game, possibly more than in any HoMM game before, but it is turn-based strategy game anyway not an RPG.
Post Mon May 22, 2006 6:49 am
screeg

Hey, don't deny the man the chance to slam Oblivion, the most popular CRPG of all time, and therefore the biggest, most unforgivable betrayal of the Hardcore Gamer (tm).
Post Mon May 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Father Omally

Ay truly tis the grand Rpg Strategy element!

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
You do know that this isn't an rpg but an rpg-like strategy game.

Yay verily Brother Guest Two of my great loves since the series began strategy and roleplaying.I have not been so touched by the blessed spirits since playing WARLORDS BATTLECRY III.Such depth and feature rich goodness!

As for Oblivion bashing i heard their stock profile aint doing too good and alot of dissatisfied (hardcore?) customers are saying they wont be buying another Bethesda TES game if Todd is in charge.Strange how i once heard one of the Devs say they take turns running things with each new products.I guess it was all a pack of rotten lies and stinky sweaty bullocks! Funny how Bethesda is the only company that can get me so worked up with righteous Mortal Combat gaming fury! Then they try to point the finger of guilt towards other companies saying Oh well they sell Mods too and no ones complaining.Thats because their Mods are full of quality and depth DEPTH! DEPTH! Sounds kind of like death ay Now let me stop me ranting and be gone!

Thanks Brother screeg! Gotta vent somewhere. Gotta give it up to me higher power!
Post Mon May 22, 2006 12:38 pm

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Re: Ay truly tis the grand Rpg Strategy element!

Yeah we know: Oblivion bad / Bethesda doomed, the end is nigh. Keep up the good work!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Father Omally
As for Oblivion bashing i heard their stock profile aint doing too good and alot of dissatisfied (hardcore?) customers are saying they wont be buying another Bethesda TES game if Todd is in charge.Strange how i once heard one of the Devs say they take turns running things with each new products.I guess it was all a pack of rotten lies and stinky sweaty bullocks! Funny how Bethesda is the only company that can get me so worked up with righteous Mortal Combat gaming fury! Then they try to point the finger of guilt towards other companies saying Oh well they sell Mods too and no ones complaining.Thats because their Mods are full of quality and depth DEPTH! DEPTH! Sounds kind of like death ay Now let me stop me ranting and be gone!

Oops, dont go slippin' out of character now, it's the only thing you got going for yourself at this point
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon May 22, 2006 4:02 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:

Now let me stop me ranting and be gone!

Finally! You wrote something worth reading.
Post Mon May 22, 2006 4:48 pm

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
quote:

Heaven protect us all! And I thought there were only two evil Todds!
Post Mon May 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Father Omally

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
quote:

Post Mon May 22, 2006 5:59 pm

Father Omally

Oops I be doing it again!

Oh me! Saints preserve us! Playing Oblivion must have left me brain damaged due to the last two posts i forgot to post me name and reply on Me brain! Me brain! Its been tooken hostage by foul spirits with no relation to Johnny Walker!

So far my favorite of the HOMM series has been 3 just before 3Do went bankrupt and released Might And Magic 9 along with their last version of HOMM both which were rushed out the door by the money blind 3Do much to the dismal despair of the dedicated overworked burntout New World Computing Devs. Interesting both games came out a month before Morrowind did. A premonition perhaps.Definitely for the rpg hardcore Daggerfall lovers. I can still remember the soothing joyful music of the lucky Leprechaun one would encounter journeying through the peaceful meadows and countryside of HOMM 3.Ah like music from a ice cream truck to a little laddies ear! Too bad DARK MESSIAH will be a different yet still much anticipated title.At least I know what I'll be getting out of the box with no fear of deceptive disappointments.
Post Mon May 22, 2006 10:11 pm

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Everyone has their own favorites, but yeah in my opinion 3 was by far the best. I had high hopes for 4, but in my opinion the problems went far deeper then just being pushed out the door too quickly. They just made too many changes and lost track of some of the things that made the game fun in the first place. It wasn't all bad of course, but it only takes a few really bad changes to cancel out a bunch of pretty good ones.

V could be a true classic. I'm especially excited about the AI Hero scripting engine which has the potential to allow people to make custom story/RPG maps which overshadow anything done in H3.
Post Tue May 23, 2006 8:11 am