Any good turn-based RPGs out there now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
magellan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Any good turn-based RPGs out there now?

Is there anything in the way of solid turn-based (and preferably multiple-character) RPGs out there at the moment? It sure doesn't seem like. I've been playing NWN, but I'm sick of the boring combat. I miss games that had some tactical fun for combat (old Ultimas, for example). Temple of Elemental Evil seemed like it would be a winner, but was disappointing because of the bugs, and to a degree the combat seemed almost over-involved.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
- Joe
Post Sun May 16, 2004 6:44 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I thought ToEE had great combat and the bugs didn't get to me too much. Geneforge 2 is the only (other) recent TB game I can think of. Goldenland has recently found a publisher so hopefully that will be worth a look when it comes out.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

My vote goes for ToEE (Temple of Elemental Evil). I very much enjoyed it.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 5:00 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would have to say TOEE also.

I'm not sure where you are at in the world, but if you are in the US, then you can still pick up Wizardry 8 at Best Buy for $19.99 I believe. It's been out for 2.5 years though, so I'm not sure how recent you are looking at.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 5:31 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

If you are willing to skip the demand "good", I would recommend TOEE as well.

Little elder games like Jagged alliance 1+2 are fun turn based party games.

Wizardry 8 is a turnbased party game, however you can't move each party member individually during combat, just the hole party. You can however change the individual characters position in the party during combat (front row, back row, left row right row, center)
Post Tue May 18, 2004 8:15 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Might I suggest you try out Devil Whiskey. If you check on the front News page, you'll see an interview I conducted recently with one of the game's programmers and my review of the game should be out in a week or two. There's a free large playable demo available and you can use those save games in the full game.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue May 18, 2004 8:21 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

ToEE is really the only one I can think about. Sad that there are so few TB CRPGs out there nowadays.
Post Tue May 18, 2004 10:03 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Except for ToEE, like Dhruin, I also recommend Geneforge 2. Also try out Geneforge 1, and the Avernum Thrilogy. Needless to say, you can wait awhile for Blades of Avernum, the PC version is bound to come sometime soon.
Post Tue May 18, 2004 3:00 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Except for ToEE, like Dhruin, I also recommend Geneforge 2. Also try out Geneforge 1, and the Avernum Thrilogy. Needless to say, you can wait awhile for Blades of Avernum, the PC version is bound to come sometime soon.

I'll second that!
Post Wed May 19, 2004 5:47 pm
magellan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the recommendations!

Hey guys, thanks for all the good suggestions! I'll have to check those out (Goldenland looks especially cool). I do have Wizardry 8, it was pretty good. As far as ToEE, maybe I will give it another try (I must admit, I didn't give it too much of a chance before I set it aside).

Thanks again,
- Joe
Post Sat May 22, 2004 2:04 am
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

not sure how far back you're willing to go but since you did not specify i will say this:

best RPG game ever, Betrayal at Krondor - is a turn-based RPG. if you've never played it before, you are definitely ripping yourself off and denying yourself one of the greastest masterpieces to ever be created by humans as a species.

i say get that and go to it if you never have in the past. it may be old, but it's still the best.
Post Sun May 23, 2004 7:30 am
magellan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Turn based RPGs

Yep, I've got to agree... Betrayal at Krondor was a good one! I particularly liked the tactical turn-based combat of the game. By the way, I just picked up Arcanum, and this seems pretty decent (I'm not far into it, but thus far I like it). I think I might pick up that Baldur's Gate II collection as well (I've played Baldur's Gate I, and thought it was fairly good).

- Joe
Post Sun May 23, 2004 4:11 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Combat in ToEE is better than good, but the story is… well nothing to write home about, now if they would make Arcanum 2 with the ToEE combat.

Silent Storm is another excellent turn-based combat game with RPG elements , the ratable camera and destructible environment just add more flavored.
Post Tue May 25, 2004 4:07 pm
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

ToEE

If you get the game try to remember to download the patches. There is nothing worse of investing the maximise spell feat for your cleric. Then seeing him cast cure light wounds spell restoring two hit points! For one of your characters who is at deaths door.

The game is good for combat but I found the interface frustrating. Likewise I can't handle quests gaining experience points for just matchmaking the village yokels. Which involves alot wandering around a village when you could be hacking at something or rescuing a NPC.

You could try the Bards Tale series which is free and can be downloaded just type it in on a search engine. Although read the reviews here first as don't expect awesome graphics and state of the art sound. Especially on the MS DOS version. Though you do get a free stone elemental.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 4:21 pm