Why german?!?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Not a Great job?

I don't care as long as I can follow the thing they are talking about in the game.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:33 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

also russia translates every movie into theyr language and the same goes with the computer games
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:43 pm
ken007
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay you all convinced me... it's allright to do a german version, but I just wish that they would do an english version at the same time and release them together. Take the new add-on.... I think it's so unfair to those of us who can't understand a word of german, that the english version will properly not even be made.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:29 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think they are also gone make an english version (at least I hope), because there are much english players and they can make a real proffit with an english versoin of the addon.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:18 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

or..... go learn Deutch
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:35 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Once upon a time some Germans wrote a pc-game and the called it Gothic,
all the germans loved it and it sold well in Germany, nothing wrong with that so far. After it got a good following and when it was about to be released to an
unknowing English pc-game market, some dirty back-street English rogues made thousands and thousands of illegal copies which flooded the English land
The rewards that the Germans hoped for were all "down the drain" this caused a bitter resentment and ever after they became more wary and alert,
"once bitten twice shy" as they say.
I do not blame the German game writers in the least for now going about their every-day business with one hand on their sword and their nose to the wind.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:28 pm
Angelo
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah, and I bet Germans are all so "Very Legal". Come on. Every game nowadays has problems like this and has to face them.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:50 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Once upon a time some Germans wrote a pc-game and the called it Gothic,
all the germans loved it and it sold well in Germany, nothing wrong with that so far. After it got a good following and when it was about to be released to an
unknowing English pc-game market, some dirty back-street English rogues made thousands and thousands of illegal copies which flooded the English land
The rewards that the Germans hoped for were all "down the drain" this caused a bitter resentment and ever after they became more wary and alert,
"once bitten twice shy" as they say.
I do not blame the German game writers in the least for now going about their every-day business with one hand on their sword and their nose to the wind.

It would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that piracy is a bigger problem on the German market compared to let's say the North-American one.

Let's face it that the first one didn't sell that well in the English territories because hardly anyone knew about the god damn thing due to lack of marketing. And quite a number of those who actually had their hands on it got turned off by the interface.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:42 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by GhanBuriGhan
As a more general reply, germans are much less used to entertainment in english than other (nonb-english speaking) european nations. E.g. almost all movies in cinemas and TV are shown with german voice overs, while other countries show originals with subtitles. In effect most gemans don't have much practice with the language and aren't terribly good at it. Same is true for Computer games. Deus Ex was rather an exception than the rule.
So I think its best if gemrans make games in german and have them professionally translated later. Problem is that some of these professionals arent doing a really great job.

german voicetranslations in movies are HORRIBLE thing.It should be illegal to rape piece of art like that.I understand why kids' movies have voice translations, but why do adults want it..perhaps its those cultural differences.I won't even begin to understand why anyone wouldn't like to hear orginal actors..For instance if i imagine lord of the rings with german language..oh my god..frodo speaking german or any other character.I want my movies allways with their orginal languagetracks.Dubbing suks, period.Its so unstylish to dubb your favorite actos away..what is wrong with subtitles?
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:54 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by ken007
I also want to say that I hope that PB will make gothic 3 in english and I also hope that the voiceover will be a lot better this time around, sounding brittish and medieval and not like some gangmembers!!!!!

I'm extremely glad that the voices are more contemporary: I don't want some stuck-up medieval Brit talking to me (that's boring). I want gritty down-to-earth voiceovers, which is what we got.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:40 am
ken007
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You have got to be kidding!!!! The english voiceovers in gothic 2 are terrible.... I think it's stupid that they made them sound like gangmembers... who the hell talked like that in those times?!?
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:32 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Everyone?
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:02 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

In Gothic 1 all ppl were criminals also most of them were criminals in G2 what did u expect ? they gonna invite u on tea and talk about red curtains in proper proper language ?
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:34 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:30 pm
K_Murx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just want to pick up the piracy topic again
I don't think Gothic was copied very often in Germany, it just wasn't the right kind of game. None of my former classmates played it - and all other people I came to know who were playing it that time bought a copy. Which doesn't mean that piracy is in fact pretty common around her
And, by the way, there wasn't any advertisement in Germany as well (well, advertisement that managed to reach me), except the (all positive) reviews & previews in the magazines. That the english ones missed Gothic almost completly - well, they possibly did not expect a good game out of Germany

Oh, and for the one telling us that "german voicetranslations are the most horrible thing": Subtitles distract from the movie. And, by the way, you knew that Tolkien was an expert in german language? That the translators (in my opinion) all messed up doesn't mean that you could not make "Lord of the rings" sound better in german than in english - the german grammar simply allows many more "little games" than the english one - though not quite as many as latin (but the audience (excluding me) there is sort of "limited"...).
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:51 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next