47%
 47%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 46

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Bush vs Kerry: who is your choice?

Note that the first two options is for forum members from US, while the last two for members from other countries. Write down the reasons if you like. Mention Ralph Nader if you choose him.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:59 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Based on the way the campaigns are being run, I'm not sure this decision is actually between Bush and Kerry. Kerry has put forth very little of substance so far to give you cause to vote for him. His entire premise, and it just might win him the election, is that (in terms of the issues) you're not voting "For Kerry" so much as "Against Bush".
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:21 pm
maic_ro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think that every vote against bush is a good one.., That is to bad that there in no real competiton there..
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:47 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

It's difficult for me to understand how about half the nation could look around and say that we need four more years of what we have now.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:00 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Jung
It's difficult for me to understand how about half the nation could look around and say that we need four more years of what we have now.
Well, chances are fair about half the nation would be bombed, gassed, or infected had we been under the so-called-guidance of Captain Waffle. It's pretty much guaranteed those tax refunds everyone that actually paid taxes (remember those $600 checks?) received would have been vapor under the so-called-guidance of Major Spend-it-all. Hard to understand, indeed.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:22 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Hmmm, why is there no choise like Abstain from Voting or sth of the kind? I don't like Bush but that in itself is no reason to vote for his opponent. Anyone who tries to do something political over a disastrously terrible movie like The Day after Tomorrow doesn't deserve to be voted for.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:36 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Well, chances are fair about half the nation would be bombed, gassed, or infected had we been under the so-called-guidance of Captain Waffle.

Uh huh, that's just what W wants you to think. I guess I am starting to understand now.

quote:
It's pretty much guaranteed those tax refunds everyone that actually paid taxes (remember those $600 checks?) received would have been vapor under the so-called-guidance of Major Spend-it-all. Hard to understand, indeed.

I bet people who lost their job are still rejoycing over $600...maybe they can use it to go to community college...or pay for 300 gallons of gas!
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:45 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm not certain what Dubya wants me to think, but I feel safer knowing that Osama has to operate from a cave rather than enjoying CNN at Club Taliban. I feel safer knowing that a guy that gasses his own citizens (among many other crimes, which I don't think even Kerry has the guts to dispute) is in prison instead of enjoying the Republican Palace. I'd certain wonder who truly are the blind sheep in that discussion.

I'd also be interested in someone documenting the direct link between a US President and gas prices. And before you say that the war in Iraq has reduced the supply, keep in mind that Iraq wasn't allowed to export oil for profit under the sanctions set by the UN. So, either the vaunted UN had no clout (although Kerry cetainly wants to be their lackey), or there's no direct link and the gas price issue is yet another clever smoke screen. Which do you choose?
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:00 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

That is a little bit of spin, dteowner. Incumbent elections are always at least half about the performance of the incumbent. This is especially so in the case of the President of the United States, because nearly everyone in the world knows who he is; far fewer people will know any challenger. Therefore the incumbent has the advantage. The job is his to lose. That says more about the nature of elections than it says about either candidate.

Personally, I think Bush is the one who has offered little substance about what he intends to do next. He simply asks us to stick with him as he stays the course.

I think, however, that this race is more about party affiliations and broad platforms than it is about either candidate. Both candidates get much mileage from people who support them on one or two issues without realizing that they disagree with their candidate on just about everything else.

Also, there are more people making their decision based on political commentary, partial facts, and spin; than there are people that have taken time to look at issues from more than one angle to attempt to ascertain the truth.

Last edited by Darrius Cole on Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:10 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
I'm not certain what Dubya wants me to think, but I feel safer knowing that Osama has to operate from a cave rather than enjoying CNN at Club Taliban. I feel safer knowing that a guy that gasses his own citizens (among many other crimes, which I don't think even Kerry has the guts to dispute) is in prison instead of enjoying the Republican Palace. I'd certain wonder who truly are the blind sheep in that discussion.

I'd also be interested in someone documenting the direct link between a US President and gas prices. And before you say that the war in Iraq has reduced the supply, keep in mind that Iraq wasn't allowed to export oil for profit under the sanctions set by the UN. So, either the vaunted UN had no clout (although Kerry cetainly wants to be their lackey), or there's no direct link and the gas price issue is yet another clever smoke screen. Which do you choose?

Do you really think that Kerry wouldn't have gone after Bin Laden? Would anyone but Bush, start a war in Iraq without finishing the war on terror(at least the achievable part: dealing with Osama)?

Not sure if there is a direct link between oil prices and the president, but they are affected by his actions, like creating instability in the Middle East or trying to overthrow a foreign government.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:36 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*sigh* Didn't we have this same poll, followed by a remarkably similar discussion (that went nowhere, I might add) about a month or two ago? Do you really think anything has changed in that period of time?
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Do you really think that Kerry wouldn't have gone after Bin Laden? Would anyone but Bush, start a war in Iraq without finishing the war on terror(at least the achievable part: dealing with Osama)?
I don't know what Kerry would have done about Osama. I doubt Kerry knows what Kerry would have done for certain. My gut tells me that Kerry's documented history of flip-flopping on anything and everything would have made it far more likely that there would not have been a consistent policy in dealing with Afganistan and al-Qaida. To be honest, I'm not certain dealing with Osama was so easily achievable, regardless of who was in charge. You're talking about a guy that's been living in the shadows for a long, long time and he's operating in a region where he has support. That would have left Saddam free to cause trouble for years and years, which certainly scares me.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:06 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Do you really think that Kerry wouldn't have gone after Bin Laden?

Clinton didnt do anything when that US Navy ship was attacked and all those US Sailors lost their lives. Why would Kerri be any different?

Bush has proven he has the balls that are needed to protect the US. Kerri is just a joke.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:13 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote

Clinton didnt do anything when that US Navy ship was attacked and all those US Sailors lost their lives. Why would Kerri be any different?

Bush has proven he has the balls that are needed to protect the US. Kerri is just a joke.

Kerry is a different person than Clinton, and 911 is a different scale of attack. I doubt any president could ignore having a national landmark and the people in it leveled without responding. I give Bush a passing grade on terror, though. Perhaps Bush would do a better job, but impossible to say. However, Iraq was a mistake, and a big one. The motivation for the war is debatable, but the way it was handled afterward is a failure causing us not to be safer.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:39 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

This has officially gotten FUNNY.

Captain Waffle, Major Spend-it-all. I could almost swear I heard the same thing on Rush Limbaugh, or was it Sean Hannity? It was one of those radio guys anyway.

Since we are selling spin here. I may as well spin.
Song comes on radio: Round and round I go: ya got me going in circles.

quote:
Well, chances are fair about half the nation would be bombed, gassed, or infected had we been under the so-called-guidance of Captain Waffle.
I can see it now. Green Latern George Bush is going to single handedly stop any terror attacks from happening on US soil ever again. Even though George Dubya was President last time Bin Laden attacked us, the attack only succeeded because George Dubya did not have on his power ring that day. So long as George wears that ring Al-Queada (check that spelling) will be so afraid that they will not even look for opportunities to attack. We must re-elect Bush because the ring chooses it wearer and it has chosen Bush. No one else can wield this power, not even CAPTAIN WAFFFLLEE, John Kerry. John Kerry does not have the courage to use this power ring, because he used up all his courage VOLUNTEERING TO FIGHT IN THE VIETNAM WAR. George W. Bush did not go to Vietnam, therefore he is the only American left with any courage.

quote:
It's pretty much guaranteed those tax refunds everyone that actually paid taxes (remember those $600 checks?) received would have been vapor under the so-called-guidance of Major Spend-it-all. Hard to understand, indeed.
I agree. Anytime a President starts with a budget surplus, has both houses of congress under the control of his party, and manages to create a record budget deficit he deserves to be referred to as Major-Spend-it-all. Imagine getting a $600 check instead of a job, that check would be gone quicker than vapor. Well, I guess every dollar helps. Besides, if you are a Bush supporter you probably did not lose your job anyway.

As far as any President is concerned, if it happens on his term it is his responsibility, period. That means everything, good and bad. War, gas prices, terror attack, recession, economic expansion, etc. The President is The Man. So he should "man up." He is even more powerful than Val, if you can imagine that much power.

"The Buck Stops Here," by the plaque on Theodore Roosevelt's desk.
Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:05 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next