arx 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
lancaster6
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

arx 2

any news on arx fatalis 2? wondering if it was cancelled, and hoping not.
Post Fri May 13, 2005 9:41 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Good question. Haven't seen or heard anything in ages. Haven't even seen Julien Roby on the boards in a long time. Maybe Garrett can find out something if he has any connections.
Mark Twain
Post Fri May 13, 2005 10:53 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I was about to ask the same thing untill I spotted this topic.It'll be a real shame if they don't get that publishing deal. Arx fatalis wasn't maybe perfect but we gamers loved it, a kind of rugged diamond so to speak.

Right now E3 is going on so indeed this lack of news is not a good sign. I'll hope that they have shown ARX2 to publishers behind the closed doors at the least.
Post Sun May 22, 2005 1:35 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I would think a game that came out like this, in what most gamers would call "bugged to death" state, not to mention the difficulty created by the lack of ingame direction, and still it sold to those same gamers, should say it all to publishers. For a first attempt by these devs and to get a response like they did, should carry some weight I would hope.

Granted it is a buisness, bottom line, but if they could grab so many with the first attempt, isn't that instant sales for Arx2? Oh well, here's crossing our fingers I guess.
Mark Twain
Post Sun May 22, 2005 4:47 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

It was a downer that Arx2 did not show up at E3. We all know it's well into development. Julien hinted at it in a pm to me in early 2004. The few details he let slip sounded like it had open-environments. Like many, I assume this means it's a prequel.

2006 will be a killer year for RPGs! (Oblivion, Gothic3, Arx Fatalis 2)

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed May 25, 2005 7:34 pm
ermac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah...yes!Arx 2 is really just a dream!I do think by this time they would have released some info! We expected to see something at E3 but the only thing that i liked was Oblivion Well there is still time lets hope we are informed !
And hope we are not just waiting for the pigs to start flying
Post Wed May 25, 2005 8:22 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I do know Arx2 is going to be a prequel set back on the surface before the freeze. I read that in an interview Julien gave here on the dot. That will afford much more open game play.

Maybe Julien will pop in here, as he does from time to time, and at least say they are still working on it, even if he can't give any details. (Fingers crossed!)
Mark Twain
Post Wed May 25, 2005 11:11 pm
ermac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well we can only hope. I think your right about the more open gameplay.But I also think that Arx 2 will be the last of the series.Have you noticed : When you beat the game,there's a ...cinematic(not really just some sideshow) whic shows the sun being shrouded by a mist or clouds or something.Maybe the main quest will be to make the sun in Arx reapear once more.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 8:25 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Well guys, this may be good or this may be bad, depending on how you read it. I dropped Arkane Studios an E-mail a couple of weeks ago, asking if they were still there and expressing my hope that they were hard at work on Arx 2. Here's the response I got:

quote:
Hi Dan,
Thanks for your interest regarding Arx2.
We're currently worling on a game which will be announced soonish. It's in the same vein as Arx, so I think you'll like it.
Best,
-Raphael

It's up to you to decide exactly what that means. If they've shelved Arx 2 for now, to work on another game or if it's been cancelled completely, or if they're just playing coy and are really still working on Arx 2. Your guess is as good as mine.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:06 am
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

That game turned out to be Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but Arkane did say Arx 2 is not dead.
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:48 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I sure hope Arx 2 survives. I loved that game. Very unique and a kickass spell system.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:01 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

"Unique" ... IMHO it was a poor Ultima Underworld clone.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:53 pm
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well it was supposed to be an UW clone. A spiritual successor is a better way to put it, IMHO.

I thought it was fantastic and visceral. I fear that this sequel went the way of Outcast 2....
Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:36 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

It was a good game i liked it but it did have alot of problems i mean you could kill any one one wrong kill one screw up and if you save or etc then the game is screwed.

Once i went into the item shop and saved then i was looking around and shaney was right at the door i couldnt get by i tried floating over her trying to squeeze by but nothing worked so i had to hit her with my weapon then the whole kingdom was after me so had to start all over again.

I really hated how frustrating the game was made one little mistake and the whole game is ruined and screwed.

Also got stuck in the crypt and i couldnt progress so i had to start all over again as well lol.

The jumping was really horrible when you wanted to jump it seems you're character wouldnt jump the time you pushed the button and you end up falling down.

I did like the feeling of the game besides all the problems.

In Arx 2 i hope there will be more weapons there was only a handful in Arx i dont like that i need alot of weapons i like selection.
Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:51 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I could handle Dark Messiah first if that is what he is refering to. I would love to see Arx2 however. The before story and the top surface that was mentioned should be great, and for all the bugs of Arx, it was great, so imagine how much they have learned from all the mistakes and our comments.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:46 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next