VOM or Jharkender first?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

VOM or Jharkender first?

As far as the storyline is concerned, which one am I susposed to go to first?
Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:20 pm
maga
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I say do the Addon world first, as it will not upset the story line. besides, I doubt that anyone can enter VOM (and complete it in resonable time) without doing the addon first (it's much harder now).
Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:18 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: VOM or Jharkender first?

Haven't played this part yet. I remember Jaz did say it's generally a good idea to wait until Chapter 3. The buggers in Jharkendar may be too difficult for a Chapter 1/2 hero. In other words: Valley of the Mines first.

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:54 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

if you can fight a dragonsnapper without getting hurt (i mean with special tactics, not stats), then youre ready, as far as i remember, the addon was filled with em
Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:40 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Ok, this isn't helping. I need a definate answer here. Which one are you SUPPOSED to go to first?
Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:12 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Gothic is NOT about "supposed to do"..........it is up to you. You choose your path and deal with what comes. There is'nt a right or wrong way.

If you want things "easy" then do every side quest and level up, stand face to face with a new foe, and see if you are good enough. If you are not, avoid that foe until you are more experienced. That is the great part about Gothic...........you CAN get in too deep quickly. Have plenty of save games and try something else.

Oh, and my opinion to your question.....if you are not good at gothic gameplay, do VoM first.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:50 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Personally, I'd go to Jharkendar first. That's what I did. If you do VOM now and level up too much, you may find the add-on world to a tad too easy.

BY going at the beginning of Chapter 2, I found the level of challenge just right. Not too easy and not outlandishly hard either.

I'll it admit that it will be on the "hard" side for a while, but you'll be able to get the skills you need defeat all foes throughout your Jharkendar adventure.

Again, like Uzrieziel siad -- Gothic games aren't about wha you are "supposed" to do. You can go to Jharkendar first, or VOM. Or even a combination of both. Some Jharkendar, then go to VOM for a while... then back to Jharkendar, etc... This is the kind of freedom of love...
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:12 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

hmm... this is strange. Some of you swear that VOM is much harder than Jharkender while others say the opposite.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:35 am
liviui
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm playing NOTR the third time now and always went to Jharkender before VoM.
Here's a question: there are a few orc warriors and an elite in Khorinis (east forest), have you fought them? I tried fighting them in ch1 aprox lvl 15, and they're tough. even with flawless tactics it took a lot to kill an orc warrior (70str/fine longsword/50one hand). the elite orc gave me headaches. Lots of orcs in VoM .
Addon world is my choice to go first.
As for the story line you don't have to go to Jharkender till ch4 i think - Vatras needs a replacement. It's up to you!!!
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:16 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You are not supposed to do anything, the choice is yours how you do it. I personally do VoM first, simply to gather more XP and also because of getting max XP from few situations - like with Fernando. If I'm a mage, I'll get a rune from him and there's never too many runes. If I'm paladin or mercenary, I get a handy ring from him. Then, I'll turn him in for selling weapons (and cash in more XP) and THEN go to Jharkendar. It STILL is not too easy there then, but at least I have aquired enough XP in VoM to be able to develop my char further.

But, it's up to you really.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:49 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
hmm... this is strange. Some of you swear that VOM is much harder than Jharkender while others say the opposite.

You can get your butt handed to you in either area if you wander into the wrong places....that is a huge appeal to me in the gothic series. IMHO, there are many more chances to level up in VoM because of side quests and lesser foes. But if you go strolling in at lvl 12 and start trying an orc's patience, expect to see the loading screen ALOT.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:23 pm
ncn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

At least go to VoM in the castle first, to learn how to get venom from blood flies stings for free (in the main building on a note upstair) because the skill it's needed for a quest (make a potion) in the add-on world.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:18 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by ncn
At least go to VoM in the castle first, to learn how to get venom from blood flies stings for free (in the main building on a note upstair) because the skill it's needed for a quest (make a potion) in the add-on world.

Good idea... plus I can get the quest from Fernando that gets me an extra runestone out of the way so I can turn him in for selling the Bandit weapons.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:23 am