Usergroups
Gothic 3 (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread

Re: Gothic 3

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
I heard it's supposed to be using the Doom 3 Engine?

Yes, that was an information that was spread out on April 1st (2003)...
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:29 pm

Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

They use a licensed engine but it will be modified so drastically that you won't be able to tell from which game it was. They are also making a lot of the components themselves. So both licensed parts as own-made parts will be used to make G3
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:17 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I'm sure that gothic3 will have great graphics
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:55 pm
SwarmsTheReal

From a interview they say they will create most of the engine by themself and maby buy some parts from others.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:28 am

Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

We don't know much about the graphich engine and about the too.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:13 pm

Maybe at the beginning of gothic 3 you can wake up with orcs boarding your ship. That would start things off on an exciting note.
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:37 pm

Methos

they should make the world alot more interactive i think... like roadside torches that can be lit for 30 minutes with your own handheld torch, hacking branches of trees (mabey lol) being able to cook in more ways than just using a pan on a stove... you could leave wall marks from your weapons, or h
they should add toilets to houses (considdering everyone
in gothic 2 managed to go somewhere else while nobody was looking) you could then sit down on a toilet ... perhaps if you sit there long enough he goes "ahhhh" or something lol (old facioned planks of wood with a hole.. mabey some fly's too... but no mess lol... dont want it graphic like that.. but people need toilets)

forging weapons should be a little more involved... even if it only includes using the wheelstone on the third step and then cool it off in the water bucket to finish the weapon off... considdering a sword really wouldn't be sharp if it had mearly been hit with a hammer.... perhaps even decorating/designing your own weapons to a degree. (also having a picture of what the new weapon will look like when its finished)

they've gotta cut out on the modern words though, and certain accents.... also... it should be a MUST that each and every person has their own voice... or at the very least, they've got to have unique voices for any and all named characters..... the others, like farmers and towns folk, etc could get away without having uniqe voices (to a certain degree).... gothic 2 was irritating in that manor, someone like xarsas with his extreamly unique voice... the same voice was used on a few others like Cord, and even that nobody in the town square handing out free beer... i mean come on... main character and a nobody having the same voice.... that a big letdown i think.... even the dragons used that voice... although the dragons voices were modded to make them sound less like humans

hopefully gothic 3 will overcome the lack of voice acters.

but other than its few little bugs and glitches (like falling through the level into nothingnessm or getting trapped in the drawbridge at khorenis while using a teleport rune and not being able to press any keys lol).... gothic 2 rules and although i havn't played gothic 1 (yet) .... i'm looking forward to gothic 3
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:08 am

Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Methos
they should make the world alot more interactive i think... like roadside torches that can be lit for 30 minutes with your own handheld torch, hacking branches of trees (mabey lol) being able to cook in more ways than just using a pan on a stove... you could leave wall marks from your weapons, or h

Sounds quite senseless to me. No enhancement of gameplay, just some "whoa, that would be cool - for five minutes" crap.

quote:
they should add toilets to houses (considdering everyone
in gothic 2 managed to go somewhere else while nobody was looking) you could then sit down on a toilet ... perhaps if you sit there long enough he goes "ahhhh" or something lol (old facioned planks of wood with a hole.. mabey some fly's too... but no mess lol... dont want it graphic like that.. but people need toilets)

Toilets? Another great idea. Am I the only one who wondered that there were NO CHILDREN on Khorinis? Ok, there were no kids in Morrowind, either... Maybe that's a general problem with islands in a computergame.

quote:
forging weapons should be a little more involved... even if it only includes using the wheelstone on the third step and then cool it off in the water bucket to finish the weapon off... considdering a sword really wouldn't be sharp if it had mearly been hit with a hammer.... perhaps even decorating/designing your own weapons to a degree. (also having a picture of what the new weapon will look like when its finished)

Play Gothic 1, there you have wheelstone and watercooling. But I think complex crafting doesn't make any sense in a singleplayer RPG (I don't consider it very enthralling in a MMORPG, too, but that's probably just me). You could do just one sort of sword in Gothic I, and it was enough. Because making different kinds of swords just for selling them is kinda boring.

quote:
they've gotta cut out on the modern words though, and certain accents.... also... it should be a MUST that each and every person has their own voice... or at the very least, they've got to have unique voices for any and all named characters....

LOL. As soon as Piranha Bytes has the money to pay 100 voice actors + the engine to handle that amount of sound data, and as soon as gamers have the computers to handle that engine.

quote:
hopefully gothic 3 will overcome the lack of voice acters.

I was totally pleased with the amount of actors in Gothic 1 and 2. I don't think that there is a great difference between the English and the German version, though.

quote:
gothic 2 rules and although i havn't played gothic 1 (yet) .... i'm looking forward to gothic 3

Play Gothic 1, IMHO it's better than Gothic 2. But then again, you should have played the first part first.
Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:24 pm

speaking of voices: which one did you like bether? DIEGOs voice from G1 or from G2 ??? (personaly i liked G1 voice)

also they should make friends more meaningfull in G3. I mean you really get attached to this people in G1 but in G3 they kind of act like you arent their "huge friend" anymore...these relationsihps should be straightened

About graphics: they should keep them simple and as accessible as posible so that more people could play
Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:10 am

Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

I agree with what you say about the graphics: IMO there is a lot of exaggeration concerning the graphics of games.

For me the graphics do not have to be super refined, but what I see should be beautiful, and in the Gothic series everything is beautiful, awesome and composed so wonderfully. A good gameplay is also much more important for me than super top bombastic graphics.

An example: I have played Deus Ex 1 this year in April for the very first time. During the first half hour I have been irritated a bit because of the graphics, but then atmosphere, music, story, gameplay and the lovely JC have absorbed me completely.

IMO the graphics of Gothic 2/NOTR are good enough, I am waiting for the new story and other things ...
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:24 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

I'll give you one better about the graphics...

I wouldnt care if they kept the same engine as gothic 1 (which was more than acceptable for a RPG) if that meant they could add, say, 3-4 more chapter to the story. If I want state of the art, super HD graphics I'll go play a FPS, but if new engine will take up a lot of story and plot, then add another CD to the set or something, since this is supposedely the last of the series I want it to have really long replay value.

The one twist with g2 I liked was that they made thief skills much more needed than in G1 (where you could just beat up everyone since they were all barrier dwellers and not citizens living under law) I think the most fun I had in G2 was hanging around and talking to townspeople while I waitied for the sun to go down and sneak into the houses of the rich people, lockpick their stuff with skill and then sneak out before anyone knows, with all the new shinies in your bag hehe
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:13 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I don't care about the game's graphical engine.I don't care it and I don't know as you do anything about it.The same with the sound the gameplay and all those things.I'm not very interested on the game's graphics and sound allthoaugh I know that they'll look beutifull.I'm only interested about the story and how 'll the new worls'll lokk like.That includes also the personalities of the old Nps and the new that'll meet.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:50 pm
p|X|
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hm..

I played Doom3 and graphic enginee is awsome => Gothic 3 gone be really awsome too.

Sorry for my english
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:58 pm
Erezike2000

But i care greatly for Gameplay

RAff...

The thing i liked mostly in Gothic 2 was the fact you could jump.... appreantly some RPGS such as neverwinter nights, didnt find it so important to include. secondly i liked the fact you could swim, some Rpgs Such as neverwinter nights didnt include that either,

Now why should we stop here, adding more to the engine would really increase the game fun measure, and since it is a rpg . the more options you have to complete your task the better.
I believe climbing would be a very good addon., sneaking through windows. climbing with ropes-hooks., those treats really do the charm.

What about through a slash while jumping, or swimming. last time i checked(myself) it was possible to do in RL. its a shame it wouldnt be possibile to do it in Gothic. how else am i supposed to feel The S*** when I kill a dragon.
Let the lizards fly i say, dont just let them hump while i kill them.
Ai- creatures didnt run away from me in gothic 2, bad call for the.

xradas voice acting is horribile . he doesnt sound like a nec,, a evil wizard, nor should i say a WIzard , at all. to think his voice was used for the dragons. which was even more horribile choice i say. i just read the text and clicked Esc. they all seemed so pitful to me.

The main Hero voice was of a regular guy, who never stands up. it must have more crisp in it, Hes been in jail people...
When he threats the dragons telling them he is their worst nightmare. i just wait for the guys to laugh.

- a solution. this is probaly too late in the production process. but do we have to play the hero role? the fella did his work. i do not see why we should keep playing him, i think this would be for the betterl since it doesnt seem to make a lot of sence, starting everything from the beginning with the same character.
But it would make great sense to play the follower of this 'hero' to play the not so important man or woman, maybe an orc or a lizard. who wasnt destined for greatness. but to follow in greatness mark. his toll in the war will only open to backround for the hero. they could switch through characters in game through the different chapters like in one of those margeret wies and tracy hickman books. it would add more intrest to the plot.

*Major downfalls in gothic2 *
1) no children
2) no toliets
3) no doors(Hello missing anything?)
4) dragons voice.
5) Lack of NPC developing releathionships, Lack of releationships with women.

Best Role playing game i ever played, thanks for all the great job that was put in to it. i hope gothic 3 would only learn and improrve upon the originals.
Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:40 am

Z-lot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The voice casting really was one of the rare things I didn't like in Gothic II.
OK, and now some of my own suggestions (I hope some of the developers will at least take a look at this):

1.Sky:
It is beautiful at night and day (and those sunsets!! wow!) but I believe it could be even more enhanced by including moon phases, perhaps even an eclypse - and it could be combined with time-limited quest ("you have time to do it untill the next full moon"). Just think about it.
I also hope there will be sandstorms present in the desert. Overall - the role of wind did not reach its potential in G2 (well, you could tweak some things in .ini file).
And what about geese/pigeons, migrating in flocks?

2.Nature and textures (graphics):
The environment is stunning for such a huge RPG game, but the increasing processing ability of PCs should be taken into account for G3.
My proposition would be not only concentrating on making some small encampments to fill the void but also focusing on the undergrowth a little more (i am certain there are not only mushrooms to be found there). Really, a GB of RAM will be a common thing by 2005.
As it could be understood in the upper lines, pasting some textures on the floor just doesn't quite give the authentic feeling of natural habitat. Even though they mostly try to imitate three dimensions, it just doesn't do the trick. Only really good 3D-looking textures are the stairs (will they be changed into real stairs this time?).
Actually, many graphical problems could be solved by adding more options to graphical settings (it would immediately solve the problem of many RPG players with weaker computers).

3.: NPSc, NPCs, NPCs
NPC-related suggestions, written in this thread are really worth of taking a look (except the fact there were some doors in game... but still very few). Gothic could also have pets (perhaps a private property, guarded by some tamed wargs?), a new craftsman or two wouldn't hurt (for antiques, clothing... it could all be used for side quests). Some carts, horses and other perhaps traders venturing trough the city would really live things up (for example a trigger based thingy: every moon cycle or every new chapter, a new trader could some to a city, bringing news from distant lands and selling some rare items - it would be up to you to catch the deadline and get the money/whatever demanded in time).
Making a step backwards with NPC daily routines be acceptable to some extent... however, it could proove to be a disadvantage - I'd be able to manage without them socializing at the local pub in the evening but to see them being able to work at night - no way.
...There could be some NPCs working just at night for a change.

P.S.: Different difficulty settings would imo just kill the charm of game - afaik, the point is challenge, not only experience.

I hope I didn't miss a thread.
Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:23 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next