View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

To Baldly Go

Dear Arx Fans

I had a quiet afternoon during the week, so I decided to see if anything new was on the shelves at my local "Game" store.

Guess what I found for £14? Hmmmmm I guess it's a forgone conclusion that it's Arx isn't it. Why else would I be posting here! Damn.. I didn't think that question through too well did I.

Anyway.. something happened and I wondered if it was unusual.

After escaping from my cell at the beginning, with Jean Luc Picard look alike, "Kultar" we split up while I try to find a way to get to the other side of the door that is baring our way.

Well, a lot of hitting people with bones, later and my bald friend and I have met up again and fought side by side against a Goblin Lord. Oh... and we won! Bit of a shock, as lets face it if you have some obscure logic puzzle to solve, or unfathomable language to comprehend.. than Picard's your man obviously. But if it's fisticuffs, then you want Kirk! Well you do..sorry.

Well, Goblin Lord lies slain and well he should. A search of his body yields a priceless treasure!! Hmmm.. ok, it's a stick. But that's ok, because it'll fit in that broken mechanism over there that opens the portcullis. Huzzah!

But before we do that, I just want to have a look in this storeroom and see if there is anything worth having.

Some apples and a few gold coins later and I come back out to find that Kultar is standing beneath the now OPEN portcullis. Top man! See, I told you. You want problem solving, you talk to Picard.

Except ..oh dear. The Portcullis appears to have come crashing down on Kultar's head!! Er...... he might be ok though eh? Nope, quite dead. DR CRUSHER.. MEDICAL EMERGENCY IN THE GOBLIN PRISON!

D'OH! Only one thing to do then I guess. Yup loot the body.

Nothing on it.

BAH!!

Badger.

(PS.. there was this little chap in Gothic who followed me around. I think he was called Mud. Well.. because of me he was eaten by dinosaurs! You don't suppose it's me do you?)
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:52 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Badger and Kultar

I hate to tell you but you need that guy to save you later in the game, very important. You might want to start over, I don't know if that was accident of timing or bug but will mess you up at a very bad time later.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:42 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

You're always full of tales, Badger .

As cmckj50 mentioned, Kultar comes is rather important later so you might want to reload.

And I'm sure it's not just you...is it?
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:17 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

You know, it could be interesting to see what would happen if Badger let's the game progress. Will Kulti be resurrected? Will he still like you? Are there other options? If he restores at this point, we may never know the answers to these questions!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:10 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Gaghghgh!! I might have known. It feels like I've moved quite a way beyond that point now in the last session I played. But I suppose I'll have to go back.

The worst thing is that I saved the game at the point it happened, in case I needed to go back. Well I didn't think about that enough did I... I mean my save position is called "ooops Portcullis" for a reason. It was just AFTER Kultar developed a sudden desperate yearning for Aspirin.

I'm literally going to have to start again!!

Any other characters I should be extra careful of? This would have been a game killer had I got much further in before it happened.

Badger.

PS: Sorry Corwin, Badgers aren't all that adventurous.
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:15 am
corwin

There are only about 7 people you really need to kill in the game, and you tend to get rewarded more for not killing, except for the goblins in the prison. After that, nearly every group offers you the chance for quests and Exp. However, having said that, once you have finished all the goblin quests, and you're sick of being called a 'filthy human' I'd suggest you rob their treasury and kill the lot of them!! I always wait till I'm attacked to see if I can find a peacful solution to a problem, but there are some places whenre that is not possible in the game. Other than that, there is really no-one you can't kill, but doing so does have its consequences. Enjoy the game.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:23 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Yay!! I'm back to the point I was before. But this time Kultar is safe....bless im.

I did better as well because this time around I understood the interface and finally I stand again on the battlements of a fortress just beyond the Goblin prison, trying to decide whether to get straight on with my..."Alert The King" quest. Or pop in for a quick one at the local Tavern in the Cavern first. Could it possibly be any better in Badger World?

Hmmmmm well yes it could actually. Three things are making me scratch my head and I obviously have to be careful.... Because of the splinters.

Firstly, this fortress has another level above me. I can see a tantalising tower, but no way to get up there!! BAH! I smell a secret door and have turned my keen Badger sense to locating it. It won't be long before I... Gaghghghghghg... Stubbed my toe on a chest dammit!

Secondly from my vantage point on the battlements I can see something Blue and Shiny on a ledge above on of the cave mouths opposite. WHAT IS IT PLEASE BECAUSE IT HAS CAUSED MY BROW TO FURROW...... THUS (furrows brow in demonstration of just how frustrating it is)

Thirdly... While I zinged about the Goblin prison like a .... Er.... Fleshy Pinball. (um) I found a room that had stocks and such in it on the same level as my initial cell. There was a Goblin guard in there and I was very nasty to him with a shortsword. Beyond him lay a locked door.

I peered in and I can see an anvil and what looks like it might be a better sword and .... Gasp.. A shield (starts to dribble) I Wants It! I wants it baaaaad precious!

Thanks For Being There

Badger
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:22 am
Dhruin

You'll need to be a little patient before you can get your hands on the 'precious' above the cave opposite. It will take a telekinesis spell/scroll or (with a bit judicious work), a levitate spell/scroll. Don't worry about it too much though...

If I have your position right you can't get to the top of the tower.
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:50 pm