Are all pics so far, actual pics of the game, with shadows o
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Are all pics so far, actual pics of the game, with shadows o

As we see in the pics, there is self shadowing in the trees, the upper parts look more bright, and lower that light does not get easily, seem darker. What we should know is if in the pics lighting as developers mean it has been fully implemented as it seems, or those shadows are just a 3d/2d trick, since as they said shadows have not been implemented yet. If that is the case,
is there a chance that the game might look totally different from the stelalr pics ?

That would be bad, unless shadows in the pics are fully implemented (or at least for vegetation.trees as we can see clearly) and it is the videos only that shadows could not be put for frame rate reasons
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:23 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

AFAIK SpeedTree would have implemented the shadows, so it should look like it does now. I think they recoded some of the graphics engines, but messing with SpeedTree would seem kinda pointless unless it was very minor tweaks to keep the "Gothic" feel.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:18 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I hope they've tweaked with speedtree to help with the sprites.

Maybe it's just me, but sprites in modern games annoy me , because as a whole we have moved way futher past them and it looks strange to me to have complete 3d and then have the old looking sprites in a scene, espically when you're moving and they "follow" your view....
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:42 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler

Maybe it's just me, but sprites in modern games annoy me , because as a whole we have moved way futher past them and it looks strange to me to have complete 3d and then have the old looking sprites in a scene, espically when you're moving and they "follow" your view....

One of the worst things about the videos is the pop up. Too much pop up means that the game run very slow to extend the view distance. Ok, it is pre-alpha but i suppose a game at that stage can have 2 major problems

1. Release date. To make the game work and look like the pics could take MANY more months of work, meaning a late 2006 release

2. The game could be made look much worst than the pics, since it is not proven yet that can run with the detail presented in the pics, resulting in much dissapointment. I hope they do make the game look as good as the pics, and make it scalable for faster machines, rather than cut back and loose on detail. Is there an official word that the game will look like the pics or better, or is it up in the air ?
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:50 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by nasos_333
quote:

One of the worst things about the videos is the pop up. Too much pop up means that the game run very slow to extend the view distance. Ok, it is pre-alpha but i suppose a game at that stage can have 2 major problems

1. Release date. To make the game work and look like the pics could take MANY more months of work, meaning a late 2006 release

2. The game could be made look much worst than the pics, since it is not proven yet that can run with the detail presented in the pics, resulting in much dissapointment. I hope they do make the game look as good as the pics, and make it scalable for faster machines, rather than cut back and loose on detail. Is there an official word that the game will look like the pics or better, or is it up in the air ?

No, there isn`t .
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:13 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by bigboy_
quote:
quote:

No, there isn`t .

I suppose you did not see that trees change shape/size in front of your eyes, even at close distances. It is just horrible. I dare not imagine what will happen in a forest, you will probably get too dizzy to play. I wonder what kind of machine will take to run it without pop-up or if you like it another way, with this DREADFULL level of detail change at 5 meter away stuff.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:23 am
jonik77L
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Emm, the fact that they gave out these screenshots to demonstrate
their game is actually as official a statement of "look guys, this
is how our game is gonna look" as we are going to get...
I would think that this is obvious Naso my friend...

Also the guys at PB always seemed reluctant to commit to something
they cannot produce by saying or displaying info before being certain
(hence the sparse visual material that we have been fed up to now...)

How much its going to take them to get the engine in a shape that will be
able to produce a playable output on the average user's machine its
something neither you nor I are qualified to ascertain (not having worked on a
graphic engine or gaming project). And certainly statements Like "Its gonna
take them to late 2006" are conjecture (not to mention melodramatic). But
remember that the game is in PRE ALPHA, this means they keep adding
features full steam without taking into account performance critical issues like
memory management... When they are done with the feature set they'll
probably see where the engine's performance takes them... I doubt they will
have to downgrade the visual quality though, the trend is that since the
hardware is getting better and users slowly upgrade their systems the
Developers feel justified in upping the "minimum specs" of the machine...

Besides, the screens look very nice now but if G3 would come out in Late 2006
it would already be quite outdated. Dont forget UnrealEngine3 is coming And
source is being used In RPGs (while being constantly improved) and has
anyone seen project offset...

P.S As I already told you that the thing with the trees is speedtree tuning I
believe...

Also I wonder if you havent noticed that the NPCs seem to be completely off
cinch with their surroundings (this is obvious when the "main" character is
running but also when you see them standing there working...) this is worse in
my opinion... it seems they have some EmotionFX2 tuning to do too...

J.N
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:34 am
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigboy_
quote:
quote:

No, there isn`t .

I suppose you did not see that trees change shape/size in front of your eyes, even at close distances. It is just horrible. I dare not imagine what will happen in a forest, you will probably get too dizzy to play. I wonder what kind of machine will take to run it without pop-up or if you like it another way, with this DREADFULL level of detail change at 5 meter away stuff.

I noticed them of course. The guy from PB sayed that the graphics isn`t complete yet. I don`t thinkg that the final version will have bugs like these...they aren`t stupid to leave such annoying things in the game, they will resolv the problem with the trees and the other hgraphics bugs, I`m quite sure of this.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

One word:

PRE-ALPHA

they will be working on it for at least half a year and as you can see they have already made a lot of progress. Just compare one of the first pictures and the new ones from the GC.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:46 am
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I wish the world of Gothic would keep getting better, even though the real world of nowadays is getting worse...
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:39 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
One word:

PRE-ALPHA

You mean two words
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:27 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Ratavuk
quote:
Originally posted by Sem
One word:

PRE-ALPHA

You mean two words

There's a "-" between them, so they are considered as one... I hope
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:14 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

OK, i don't want to be too fussy this time.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:45 am
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:
Originally posted by Ratavuk
quote:
Originally posted by Sem
One word:

PRE-ALPHA

You mean two words

There's a "-" between them, so they are considered as one... I hope

The truth is always somewhere in the middle, so I`d say that pre-alpha is 1.5 words
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:10 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Relax folks, and trust in Piranha Bytes. They will make it feel like a Gothic despite the new graphics, and have my complete trust.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:15 pm