Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Let's bring the realism up a notch for the REAL gamers...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Shoegazer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Let's bring the realism up a notch for the REAL gamers...

I want to start off by thanking Piranha Bytes for making Gothic and revitalizing the dying genre of adventure/rpg gaming. I do think there are a few issues that need to be adressed and fixed in the upcoming sequel though. First off, let's talk thievery. I think it's pretty f$cking ridiculous that the lockpicking skill served no apparent purpose, other than preserving your stock of lockpicks. Why not make certain chests require a higher level of lockpicking in order to be accessed? Or for the hardcore gamers, make picking chests/doors available, only when you have spent skill points in the skill. I know what you guys are thinking. I mean, who didn't love picking chest after chest and getting access to high-level weapons/artifacts when you were only lvl 3. Also, how 'bout throwing some different locks our way?! The left/right lockpicking idea was great, but after 50 chest of the same crap, it gets a little monotonous. Remember those puzzle locks on the chests in Betrayal at Krondor? And while this may be an AI scripting issue, how can anyone holding a torch, in the middle of the night, pick a chest, without the digger (who's 2 ft away and wide awake) not knowing? Even more, how can the digger not notice you bauch a lockpicking attempt, stand up, and go right back at it? And how 'bout the sneaking skill. While some might argue that it was a totally useless, I think it was a necessary skill. But why not remove all doubt by making your sneaking skill lvl actually have a bearing on your degree of stealth. For example: if you only have lvl 1, your feet might have a slight chance of squeaking on the floor and alerting someone (like Quest for Glory 2). I know that alot of you probably think that these changes would compromise the "Pure Freedom" we all felt when we first played Gothic, but I honestly think that these changes would only add to the highly-addictive, realistic quality of gameplay that is Gothic. Or maybe just have a realism difficulty setting in the options menu? Well, Gimme your opinion folks, bash me, agree, whatever! BTW, this is my first time here, so I'd like to say hi to all my fellow Gothic enthusiasts.

-Obiwan Kenobi-
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:24 am
Entropy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Let's bring the realism up a notch for the REAL gamers..

quote:
Originally posted by Shoegazer
... Remember those puzzle locks on the chests in Betrayal at Krondor?...

Consider that all of these puzzles were strictly based on english language, and, assuming Gothic2 is mainly designed in German i think most of the riddles could simply make no sense in english (or italian!).

"wich side of a wolfhound is the most furry?"
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:04 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Yeah! You said it!

Why would I learn to lockpick if I can get a whole list of lock combinations from the tips and tricks section of this forum?
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:54 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
First off, let's talk thievery. I think it's pretty f$cking ridiculous that the lockpicking skill served no apparent purpose, other than preserving your stock of lockpicks. Why not make certain chests require a higher level of lockpicking in order to be accessed? Or for the hardcore gamers, make picking chests/doors available, only when you have spent skill points in the skill.

I don't think it was that off base. I think it's realistic that any idiot can attempt to pick average locks, but I think higher level lockpicks should only be picked by a master. - that's how I thought the system would work in Gothic I - Maybe there'll be multiple lockpicks in GII like in Morrowind, or if your not a master you can screw up the lock and make the chest unopenable. Traps would be a nice addition.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:44 pm