Magic:the gathering
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

Magic:the gathering

I guess everybody on this boards does know the cardgame?
I just started the game and well I hoped for a few good hints or so, or to meet other people who played the game
especially from belgium or even better from limburg
Also everyone who has ever played the card game or the onlien game: I like to know your opinion about it
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:32 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Geez, havent heard that one in a long time ='.'=

i was into it a little bit for a while there, when it first came out. My friend was into it heavy, and I started playing a bit with him and got my own cards, soon we were playing with a few different people in our complex and it was fun, while it lasted. It started costing too much money, quite frankly, for what are essentially playing cards. Nice cards, but playing cards. And I didnt like all the newer expansion stuff that was coming out for it, I liked the basic deck, you know the Eater of the Dead, Sengir Vampires, etc. Used to mix red and black a bit too, but after I found myself paying 20 bucks for a Shivan Dragon card, I thought it may be getting a little out of hand. Also, like some anally-retentive comic collectors, the people I played with started not wanting to play with some of their better cards, for fear of them becoming sub-mint condition. No, if I buy a card Im playing it. If I buy a comic, im reading it, probably several times.

I spent prolly 150 bucks or so total on it, and ended up selling the whole box for like 40 bucks a couple years ago. Like I said, fun while it lasted, and I loved the artwork. I kicked ass at it too, but I dont think I could advise you on something I played like ten years ago.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:40 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I've seen my friends play it a lot, but honestly, I've never been attracted to it. My friends who got involved in it seemed to become totally addicted, and that put me off. It seemed to blur the lines between a hobby and an obsession.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:36 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I got into playing Magic when it first came out and I still have my cards in a box somewhere. It's just gotten far too expensive for a card game. I stopped playing years ago. Maybe I should dig them out and hock them on eBay.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:17 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

One thing tho, make sure you dont get suckered into it from a collector angle, because you'll most likely get screwed. Just like any other niche collectible, you can look in a book or ask someone in a shop (usually selling it) and find great value for it. That doesnt mean someone will actually pay anything big for it, especially after the craze has lifted. Even on old things such as Magic, the belated craze may be contained in a local economy, and you can end up with several high-priced cards that really aint worth what you think they are.

Items are a whole lot more common then youd think, rarity is the only real factor when it comes to the actual value of collectibles.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:20 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I have to admit it is really addictive. We don't do anything else on school between breaks than playing it and I just bought my second deck.
I am now the proud oner of: Champions of Kamigawe black/green deck and a betrayer of Kamigawe's black deck
Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:46 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

My name is Charlie Dobbie and I, too, was once a Magic-a-holic.

A good community grew around the game in my home town, centered on a small gaming shop in the high street. After it closed down the community died, although one person I met is still one of my closest friends, and I got back in touch with two friends from many, many years before.

And that's the positive side over with.

The bad thing is the game is a serious money eater. You have to bear in mind that the people behind the game aren't designing a fun game for you to play, they're trying to sell you little printed pieces of card. As others have stated, the percieved value of these cards is often way, way higher than the real value. Everything is centered around the concept of getting kids to part with a little more of their money. There's a good reason it's frequently referred to as "cardboard crack".

I gave up after things really got out of hand - the editions were cycling faster than anyone could have predicted, expansions were popping up every few months, new rules were being introduced that meant you'd lose every game unless you got some of the new cards in your deck... and the company behind it all started making legal moves towards sole ownership of the concept of a card game. Ouch. So I stopped playing.

I've got a box full of folders around here somewhere with complete sets of various editions and expansions, and a pile of boxes somewhere containing all the spare cards I aquired over the years. There's some pretty "valuable" cards in there: Alphas, Betas, Arabians, Legends, and more. I really ought to Ebay the lot, but can't bring myself to do it. It's like Bilbo and the One Ring, I just can't bear to let them go...

Edit: Hmm, I had a pretty mean red deck in those days, filled with Shivans, Rocs, Hydras and direct-damage cards. I wonder if I could get it back together again...
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:02 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I've played a lot of magic, but I've never had to spend a single cent on it. Being that I live in the city that Wizards of the Coast is based in, I used to be friends with an employee. He would have us over weekly to play, each time providing all of the cards and prizes for the winner. I was ok, but since I didn't actually own any cards I never bothered to play competitively. (If I ever won the prize at my friend's place, I would give my cards to my friends who actually collect them).

In terms of hints? Play the best players you can find frequently, and ask them for help. Read any of the numerous websites out there. And the biggest hint of all: try not to spend any money on it (or as little as you can), and never pretend it is an investment.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:54 pm
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

I used to play M:TG back when it was new and shiny, up to the Ice Age series (if that was the name... it's been a while). M:TG was one of the two trading card games I really liked - not my favorite, but I still played it a lot.

I started out as a blue player - still prefer blue cards from an artistic point of view: they had lobsters! I mean, homarids - but then I found out that nobody trusted a sneaksy-snatchy blue wizard, and thus attacked me whenever they could.
Now I just didn't like to be the center of attention. So my most-played card colors became white, green and artifact, a combination of protection, multiplying units and tech. As a greeny-whitey-artifactsy person I was more ignored than taken as a serious threat, which was much better .

There was a lad in our group who always played pure black 'because it's really cool to be evil'. Needless to say he was always the first to be annihilated (after my change from blue).

At some point I grew tired of playing Magic; I gave my cards to my spouse who already had a huge collection (and is still playing M:TG). I kept my favorite brand of trading cards, though... still have them.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:31 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I remember watching one multiplayer game that ended quite spectacularly - it rapidly got down to two veteran players whose decks were much better constructed than anyone else's. It was stalemate for a while, but the tides slowly began to turn, and then surged forward with a 204/205 trampling Carrion Ant clinching the deal. A marvellous sight.

I never really played to win - it was always entertainment for me. Aside from my big red deck, other memorable decks included a blue merfolk deck, a black rat deck, a deck containing all-foreign cards, and a multicoloured Macbeth-themed deck.

So, Imago, at the risk of going further off-topic, what is this other trading-card game that you enjoyed so much?
Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:30 pm
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

I admire people who know how to play a red deck - red was just not my world.
Apart from M:TG I alsp played the Kult and Star Wars TCGs, but they weren't quite to my liking. My favorite card game was Doomtrooper. Its Inquisition series is the only complete TC series I own. I liked Doomtrooper because you had those allegiances - troops of a certain affiliation couldn't attack troops of certain other affiliations, which was pretty important if you played the 'Cartel' variant of the game, where each player had to stick to playing one of the seven factions (five companies, the Brotherhood and the Dark Legion). My favorite deck was a seven-point, pure Dark Legion deck - since Dark Legionnaires could attack anything including other Legionnaires, I never had to change decks when the players in the round changed. Plus, they fit the general attitude of their Dremora Lord master .
Besides, seven points was a good choice (meaning, it contained warriors which took seven points each to play them) - many folks preferred to clutter their decks with 15+ point warriors and real 25 point monsters, which usually took far too long to leave the card stack. A majority of seven point warriors made for a deck which combined minor punch with rather swift attacks - before an opponent could get his monster on the table, my kohort was already full of warriors.
I haven't played in ages.

Sorry if I caused a diversion, it wasn't my intention to.
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:14 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Like Imago Storm I dropped out wwith the Ice Age series. I sold my cards at a lower price then I bought them. I only have a forrest in my possesion now to remind of the stupidity of my youth.
NFG member
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:46 pm
randalx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Magic Online

I've played Magic Online and it was quite a bit of fun. You can certainly get carried away buying cards but if you control yourself there is no need to spend a lot and still have some fun. The nice part about the online version is that anytime you want there is somebody available for a quick game. They also host numerous tournaments that also make things fun.
Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:36 am