Usergroups
Similar games to Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
ravenGothic
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

For non-fantasy nut similar games, I would suggest Deus Ex and No One Lives Forever. These are shooter-based and not fantasy, but the RPG elements, story, and 3D engines are strong in both. Deus Ex was especially good - and I really liked how it blended game genres (RPG and shooter).
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:00 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah!
Deus Ex is cool!!
But i hope Morrowind will be as good as they say. It must be much better then Gothic, but i hope it will have such a good atmosphere!
Im waiting and saving money for Sequel (gothic) and Gothic 2 ;-D .

CU

Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:36 pm

Deus Ex. It's sci-fi not fantasy, but has a similar feeling of exploring intricate, inhabited areas. It isn't quite non-linear but does have numerous optional side quests and bonus explorations you can undertake for more experience. It is a roleplaying game as you can develop your persona and converse with most people in the game.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:40 pm

DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Errr

Sci-fi = made up
Fantasy = made up

so therefore

sci-fi = fantasy

no?
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:42 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

No, the term "fantasy" is used commonly for describing Tolkienesque settings. I suspect you know this already and you were simply being pedantic.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 8:06 pm

What about Arcanum?? Can't believe nobody mentioned it!
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 8:49 pm

Arcanum is a great game (see Fallout 1,2) but I think the key unifying factor among the games is 'immersion'. I just don't get the same feeling of being 'in the game' from a 3rd person isometric game, no matter how much fun it is.

Hitman is fun and can be very immersive, but it isn't an RPG and it is very one-dimensional (kill the target, end of story).
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 10:41 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hitman: great game, but unfair balancing.
NOLF=Teh best single player shooter ever!
Post Sun Dec 16, 2001 3:57 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I would probably put Deus Ex in front of NOLF, but at least its the second best ever

Its REALLY good... I love a good story and wellcrafted characters... Wolfenstein 2 made me kinda dissapointed.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:50 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Try Daggerfall. The game is a huge non-linear rpg. There is a story line; but once that is done, you can play on. Be aware though, the game is very buggy; but if you don't mind re-booting everynow and then, it is worth it
Post Sun Dec 16, 2001 8:54 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There is really no game, that is same as Gothic, but you can find several similarities with other games...

- Summoner is good.
- Wizardy VIII (it is also RPG with good story, with quests with good character growing, just you look on world with eyes of your group - as in standart RPGs)
- Blade of Darkness (same in many ways (graphics, 3th person, combats), but it is action game, not RPG)
- Rune (same as previous, but older)
- Soul Reaver II (same as Blade of Darkness, but !!my opinion!! is that atmosphere is not so good, and you can save only in some places...)

I think, that best option will be to start Gothic once more and wait for Gothic (if there will be something like Gothic II)

Post Sun Dec 16, 2001 9:18 pm
Shryke
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would definitely agree with Vampire: the Masquerade. At first I really hated the battle system and thought it too simplistic, but after some time with it I decided that it was really one of the best games I've ever played. The storyline is brilliant and believable, and the characters are all very colorful and nicely voice-acted. Your character can become truly powerful, and you can use your abilities throughout different time periods. I highly recommend it, and for those of you who don't like it at first glance, just keep going You will.

For the first person games, yes, Deus Ex and NOLF are some of the very best. Rune is really a 3rd-person action-adventure, with nary an RPG element throughout, but EXCELLENT nonetheless in my opinion. You can get some devastating weapons and I love the way the game handles scoring hits and making you really FEEL that you hit an opponent. Graphics are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Truly jaw-dropping.

For an rpg that is similar to Gothic, I would have to go with Ultima 9, but man did they drop the ball on that one. The control is really very bad, and the game in general is VERY buggy. The RPG elements aren't real obvious, as I like dealing with stats and whatnot in my RPGs. Games that try to get away from that are rarely successful, but it can be done.

Anyway, enjoy Gothic. It's truly in a league of its own. Perhaps more developers will attempt to make games with this kind of scope and grandeur.

Post Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:44 pm
XxVenomxX
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I second the vote for Ultima VII, such an immersive game
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:19 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I see many people go on comparing Gothic with others with the same type of 3d engine.

I see many people go on comparing Gothic with the same type of character progress.

Personally I try to compare Gothic with others that have the same type of freedom in character progression and moving around inside the world.

Shryke
------
By the way, I am the project leader of Vampire - The Masquerade: Redemptions largest mod, that many consider to be the 'expansion'. It tries to restore the game into the original PnP rules with the correct dicerolls and adding the stuff that was missing.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:34 am
Archon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Speaking of Vampire, I came very close to buying this game when it came out, because although I never got to play the PnP game, I DID role up like 3 or 4 characters. Why would you roll up characters and never play? The guys who I was going to play with would get all the books out, we'd get everything ready, and then SOMETHING would come up.

Anyways, how is Vampire's multiplayer? Can you play through the game co-operatively? I love Gothic (so far, only played it for 6 or 7 hours) but my girlfriend likes to play with me in the same game.

We had a blast playing Heretic II, but Baldur's Gate II was pretty crappy... too much standing around waiting. A game like Gothic that allowed two players to go through at the same time would be perfect.

Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:36 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next