Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Kult:Heretic Kingdoms. Is this the answer to our RPG dreams?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Kashya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Kult:Heretic Kingdoms. Is this the answer to our RPG dreams?

Hi Folks,

It's been years since I last bought a new PC game (the last one was Divine Divinity) as there just hasn't been anything that tempted me.

I faithfully read the Release List and Previews in the hope of finding something half way descent to play. I even make lists of games I think sound promising, but sure enough, I always discover something that eventually turns me off them.

I was getting really excited about 'Dungeon Lords' until I discovered it was keyboard controlled, then I crossed it off my list. The same thing has happened with a host of other games I thought were promising. I learn that they're either first person, or party based, or hateful MMORPG's, or something equally detestable (to me!). So off the list they go.

I was starting to get really desperate, all I wanted was a good single player game like Diablo or Divine Divinity, but no luck. Then I learned about 'Kult:Heretic Kingdoms'.

At first I was really sceptical about it, as I've had my hopes dashed so many times before. But so far, I haven't discovered a single thing about it that turns me off. It sounds really wonderful!

But the absolute best thing about this game, and the thing that has completely won me over, is that the game is being released with an Editor/Toolset (just like NeverWinter Nights and Dungeon Siege) so even if turns out that I don't like the game itself, I'll be able to create my own games to my heart's content.

This is what I did with NeverWinter Nights and Dungeon Siege, which I thought were pretty awful games. I never bothered to finish the actual games themselves, but I had a heap of fun playing with their Toolset's.

But unlike those two games, Kult:Heretic Kingdoms actually sounds like a terrific game that I may just enjoy playing, and the inclusion of an Editor with it is just a fantastic bonus.

To anybody who likes Diablo, Divine Divinty, Sacred and Baldur's gate I think this game might really appeal to you.

And, as another really nice little bonus, for all the female gamer's (like me) who are sick of being stuck with only a male character to play, Kult's main character is FEMALE! She also appears (from the screenshots) to be properly proportioned and clothed to!

There are so many great things about this game that I really urge you to check it out for yourselves at: http://www.p3int.com/product_center_KULT_The_Game.asp

I'd love to here what you all think about it.

Cheers,
Kashya
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:14 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Might be worth checking out when it gets released. Graphics seem good and the story also sounds promising. Thanks for the tip.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

We had an interview with the devs 2 months ago.
http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=945
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:07 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the link Gorath.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:32 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

@Kashya: Have you tried Nox, Darkstone, or even Evil Islands all games that might interest your special taste of games. Evil Island is maybe a little more strategic than the other two "diablo" alike games. And what about the newest game in that genre "Sacred"?
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:53 am
Kashya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yep, I'm going to buy Sacred as soon as some of its bugs are fixed with a patch, and it comes down a little in price.

I just recently managed to get a copy of Nox off eBay and I really enjoyed it, but I've finished it now and I'm looking for a new fix .

I've heard of Darkstone, and if I can find a copy I'll give that one a try too. I haven't heard of Evil Islands though, I'll do a search and check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Kashya
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Kult certainly has some interesting points and I'll check it out when it's released. I must say I'm a little tired of "action RPGs" but that doesn't mean this one can't stand out from the crowd.

The development of Kult has been a little fractured with consultants brought in to "refocus" the game and improve the story and dialogue -- this may be a great thing (perhaps more developments could use some outside expertise) but it might also indicate some shortcomings with the game. The game is strictly combat-oriented with a "strong narrative" so they'll really need to nail those two elements.

If you liked DivDiv, how about Beyond Divinity?
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:57 pm
Kashya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi Dhruin,
Nice to see a fellow Aussie, I'm in Wollongong (so not too far away ).
As to Beyond Divinity, I loved Divine Divinity, but I'm pretty certain that I won't like Beyond Divinity. Why?

Because the developers, in their wisdom (NOT) decided to tamper with a proven successful game formula by adding party based gameplay to their next game.
As you may have seen in my post above, party based games are one of my chief hates in life.

I'm happy to play party based games like Arcanum and Dungeon Seige, because even though you're supposed to play with a party, the games are nice enough to give you the option to choose not to if you want and just adventure solo.

Beyond Divinity doesn't give you this option, you're stuck with a companion whether you want one or not. You can't even get rid of him by killing him off, because you die too and it's game over!

I'm one of those people who infinitely prefer to play games solo, with just one character to focus all my attention on. But I know there are a lot of people who prefer party based games.

I think it'd be nice if all game developer's gave their players more freedom of choice and offered both forms of game play (and a choice of character gender too ).

Cheers,
Kashya
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:24 pm
Dhruin

Wollongong, eh? I was down there a few weeks ago to see a little band we follow.

Yes, BeyDiv tampered with a number of successful elements and I can say it isn't as good as DivDiv. I think they originally received a lot of fan feedback asking for some BG-like elements and they probably should have stood strong on their own ideas. Still, this isn't a true sequel to DivDiv and I feel they tried to do something a little different, which is hard to criticise.

I still feel it's a fun game but if you can't stand a party at all, I can't argue with that.
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:49 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Hi to another fellow Aussie. Have you played Gothic and Gothic2? How about Arx Fatalis? All SP games that are really good. Hard to find, especially the Gothics, but they are still available online.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:28 am
Kashya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

G'day Corwin .
Thanks for the game tips. I did try to play the demo of Gothic. I think it's a stunningly beautiful World (maybe one of the best I've ever seen), but OMG the controls!
Normally, I'd have scrapped any game that used keyboard controls, but because I was so impressed with the graphics I really, really tried to play it.
I found it frustratingly impossible. It was so bad, that I found it easier to make my character simply run away from all enemy encounters, rather than fight. All I ended up doing was trying to explore the gorgeous World and avoid monsters. Needless to say, I never bothered to buy the full version of the game.
As to Arx Fatalis, I don't really know very much about it. I'll check it out, thanks for mentioning it.

Cheers,
Kashya
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:00 pm
corwin

Gothic 2 has optional mouse controls, but once you get used to the old Gothic system, it's not that bad. Arx should still be available and this site has a LOT of info on it. If you ever played Ultima Underworld, you'd enjoy Arx which has been dubbed the unofficial UU3.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:52 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Morrowind allows you to play in third person if you wish. It's also single player and mouse controlled. If you don't like managing a lot of stats it can be a teeny cumbersome though. You can play as a highly customizable female character, albeit a hideous one. To tell the truth, though, I get kind of an odd charge from playing a male character!

Gothic was my first computer game so I wasn't burdened with feeling that the controls should have been different. I simply learned them because that was how the game was played. To this day I prefer the original Gothic controls to any other I've played. I used classic mode for Gothic 2, the mouse controls didn't really interest me. It meant learning a new control scheme instead of using the one I was already familiar with.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:26 pm