Frontier 1859: Back To The Future (of MMOs) @ Failed Success
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

Frontier 1859: Back To The Future (of MMOs) @ Failed Success

A brief article at <i>Failed Success</i> (not sure I'd want my own project covered at a site by that name) <a href="http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/more/mmorpg_frontier1859_wildwestgame/" target="_blank">describes how <i>Frontier 1859</i> will break free of MMO conventions by drawing on the American past</a>. <br><blockquote><em>Frontier 1859 looks to be a revolutionary new concept for the MMORPG genre. The game is set in the American West, circa 1859, during the Silver Rush in Nevada. Every detail and facet of the time period is being observed and included to produce a historical accuracy that will allow even the most fervent of history buffs to be able to immerse themselves in this new “old world”. <br> <br>Imagine being able to look across the vast, unaltered lands of the American West; knowing that you and your companions can set your own destiny and tame this new frontier. In my opinion, the gaming experience doesn’t get much better than that. <br> <br>There is more to the game then just open plains, though. One of the most attractive features of Frontier 1859 is the community and social experience the game will offer. Players will have to work together with other players and form communities to achieve their goals and tame the frontier. <br><a href="http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/more/mmorpg_frontier1859_wildwestgame/" target="_blank">More...</a></em></blockquote>
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:38 am
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

From the official FAQ:

quote:
Will there be possible Indian war party uprisings that attack forts, towns, and settlements?

Yes indeed. The Native Americans may create dangerous situations for frontier settlers and miners just as they did during the period. They may also make peace, and some of them may decide to translate into towns and mining camps. It will be interesting to see how people organize tribes and play out the roles of the Indians. It will definitely make for some interesting in-game tension.

I hope they handle this well. From this excerpt from their official FAQ, I am not sure how well they know history.

Native Americans created dangerous situations for settlers? If someone tried to "settle" in Peoria, Illinois tomorrow, how would the residents react?
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:43 am
10Ktrolls
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Got to agree with Mr. Kepler here. Would even go one step further and say that it is almost impossible to make an interesting mmo (set in 1859) without drawing on stereotypes.
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:23 am