NPCs?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NPCs?

Hi guys. I would like to know if it's worth having Myles and Vi in my party? Myles looks weak. My party's level are higher than him. His artifact skills only comes close to as of my bard. I would like to know does NPCs share my experiences gain during battle? So far I have gained Myles and Vi for 2-3 lvls. If they are not worth taking and it consumes my xp too much, then I would like to kick them out. Thanks for any advice.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:24 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Im just like you Im playing it through the first time.

However I do know that Vi is very important to the plot. I believe you are meant to play the entire game with her in your party. Dont have to but different parts are added with her in.

The other npcs dont matter too much. However I think the power they add is well worth the experience they use up, just because they take extra hits and do extra damage.

which one is best depends on what you need really. Myles will leave on his own shortly and youll have other npcs.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:03 am
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hmmm.....

Vi is important to the plot? Which means that it's compulsory to have her in my party then? Just like you are force to have Forrad Darre in MM9(if you ever play the game)?.
So Myles will eventually leave my party eh? Then why not i kick him out now which would be much more better. Arggh!! He made me pay for his debt at He's Li bar and he sucks up my XP for 2-3 lvls. What a waste!
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:09 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Vi is not important to the plot. You can get along without her. You can get along without any of the NPCs.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:49 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ok, but having vi in the party adds a lot of sound bites and storyline.

I think I picked up that there is alternate story written for not having vi in the party. However I think you are meant to.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:05 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

There are a few things that Vi adds that enrich the story. But as far as affecting the gameplay, well, I thing there's only one major thing that she plays a factor in. But to list that would be a spoiler.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:10 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Val
There are a few things that Vi adds that enrich the story. But as far as affecting the gameplay, well, I thing there's only one major thing that she plays a factor in. But to list that would be a spoiler.
Actually, I found even that bit to be unfulfilling. I don't pick up RPCs in any games, so that certainly is coloring my opinion, but I never saw much reason to pick up an RPC in Wiz8. They add a little in terms of funny conversation, but that's not worth splitting the XP 7 or 8 ways instead of 6, IMO.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:27 pm
otter
One of Us

And if you play tiny parties, like me, they really would waste a large portion of the XP.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:34 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Matter of personal taste with RPCs, and how well you designed your party. You can easily win the game without any of them in your party at all. But if you're missing something from your party, then you might use them to plug a hole. With a well designed party, they're more XP leeches than useful.

The possible exception might be Vi. I'm not sure if you must recruit her after you rescue her. But you can drop her quickly even if you do have to.

Having said that, there are some advantages to having them in your party:
1) I can think of 2 optional quests which require specific RPCs to be in your party. A little bonus experience. And if you plan ahead using set / return to portal, you will fight minimally and not have them drain XP from your party members. Plus you'll get rewarded bonus XP for doing the quests.
2) There are 15 classes, and only 6 party members. If you're not planning on replaying it (I'm currently on my third time through - obviously I think it's highly replayable) it will give you an opportunity to try out some classes you're missing out on. You may have the opportunity to recruit a valkyrie, thief, ranger, monk (sort of), samurai, fighter, lord, ninja, mage, gadgeteer, psionic, and bard (no priest, alchemist or bishop). Some of these will remain with you longer than others, some leave after you do their quests with them, but all of them have areas they will not enter.
3) Extra support. A struggling party can always use an extra attack, either physical or magical. Missing a ranger for scouting? Have one at least for a while.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:46 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: NPCs?

One of the biggest problems with NPC's is that they won't acompany you into certain areas. And the only way to get their cowardly butts in is to have them killed, then entire the area, and then resurrect them. But the problem there after is that they whine and complain to you constantly, almost every few minutes or so, until you finally leave the area. Each NPC gives you his/her own personal protest, which is sometimes funny, thus you'll want to keep them around just so you can keep hearing it...but it might eventually get annoying to hear. You'll be tempted to put them in the frontline of the next battle, butt naked, then dispose of their body after to finally shut them up. Butt if you can put up with that, all the power to you . So you might want to experiment with this some day just to see what a Rapax, for example, will say to you when he wakes up in his rival town of Trynton.

In any case, the most loyal and fearless NPC is the Android. (That's good to know because if you're playing the game in the Expert difficulty "OUCH! Why can't you Fighters ever make contact?!? That flippin' rat is unconscious, for God's sake!!!" you'll be glad to know he'll accompany you most everywhere you go). Most everyone else has more limits than you care to know. And as for Vi...you'll at least want to bring her along into your very last battle. You'll be glad that she won't cowar away from that.
Post Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:21 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by John373
One of the biggest problems with NPC's is that they won't acompany you into certain areas. And the only way to get their cowardly butts in is to have them killed, then entire the area, and then resurrect them.
Not quite true. You can enter an area without the NPC, set portal, leave the area to pick up the NPC who doth protest too much, and return to portal.

Oddly enough, first time I played I got Sparkle to enter Upper Marten's Bluff without a protest, but then she protested once I got in, and she would never go in again.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:08 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
Not quite true. You can enter an area without the NPC, set portal, leave the area to pick up the NPC who doth protest too much, and return to portal

Aye, you're right, Bilbo. I keep forgetting that portal manuver. And it's a whole lot cheaper than giving up an expensive resurrection powder -- unless your Priest already knows that particular spell. I should've said that havin' them killed is "my favorite" way of getting them in .
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:55 am
otter
One of Us

You can also overload them and run until they're unconscious. They'll go then, too.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:53 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by otter
You can also overload them and run until they're unconscious. They'll go then, too.

Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks, Otter!
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Firestorm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Having RPC's in your party is interesting. I finished playing Wizardry 8 for the first time all the way through a couple of months ago beating it with the help of dteowner, otter, and val. I don't know if I'd use them a second time through, but they helped my party get out of some tight spots throughout the game. I used Vi, and another character who's class is a monk ( I don't want to spoil by telling you who it is) and I enjoyed having them in my party. If you want to gain more xp for your primary characters though, I wouldn't recommend using them, otherwise experimenting with RPC's is quite entertaining.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:59 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next