View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
Yes, the map freaking has a delay that pisses me off.
It's like it has to take extra time to figure out where you are to bring up your arrow.

As far as saying that it takes "long" to get a map out, it doesn't.
Of course if you're going to use that route then why have a icon on the map of where you are?

I wish the map also had important places marked!
like maybe little icons on it in places, and you could clicka nd it would tell what it was, whether it was a character or a shop, etc.

Dude…calm down. It’s just a game. First, as you stated, the time delay is almost assuredly caused by the AI figuring out where the hell you are and marking it on the map. Obviously you don’t or you wouldn’t be reaching for your map. Second, where’s you imagination? This is a role playing game is it not? Parchment paper does not take kindly to being folded…that’s why they were always rolled up and stored in tubes for the journey. You ever try to get rolled up parchment out of a leather tube? I have…and it sucks! It doesn’t just slide out all nice like when you tap on the tube. Lastly, where’s your sense of adventure? PB has put in a lot of time trying to create and atmosphere of quest and adventure…where’s the fun in exploration if everything is already marked down on a map.

If I’m not mistaken, we were discussing having a map (whether in game or paper) that can be annotated with all of you discoveries & places of interest.

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:55 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

i didn't mean have every place on the map already there when you get it.
but rather having it show up when you find it, like if you talk to the smith in khorinis, it should put a little dot at hima nd his name.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:38 pm
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Please lets not go overboard. Its 'realistic' to have a delay when looking at the map so thats ok? Give me a break how far would you carry that idea? Its a pain in the ass is what it is and its annoying.

The map system in the game leaves a lot to be desired. I want no-delay in bringing it up, and I want the ability to zoom and make notes on it. Something to consider for the sequel, I hope. Gameplay != tedium, unless you are playing a MMORPG.

olaf
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:41 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

[quote="olaf73"]

Its 'realistic' to have a delay when looking at the map so thats ok?

It’s OK for me…I have no problem whit it what so ever.

Give me a break how far would you carry that idea?

Just what kind of break you would like?

Its a pain in the ass is what it is and its annoying.

To you…I look at it as just another part of the game.

The map system in the game leaves a lot to be desired. I want no-delay in bringing it up, and I want the ability to zoom and make notes on it.

Sounds like the only one going overboard about the Map idea is you. Having an instant map, I think would be easy. You hit the map key and the map pops up…and then you figure out were the hell you are on the map and in which direction you are looking. And a map with zoom capabilities…that easy too. All they have to do is include a paper map with a magnifying glass in the next installment of Gothic.

Sylvio
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:59 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah io guess the instant map would kill us all, so i guess we could put up with the delay but we should still be able to mark it

and whoever said something about the parchment maps in leather tubes... taje a look at the maps in you inventory, not folded, not rolled up, not in tubes, just stuffed into the bag that can hold everything in the game all nice and flat
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:45 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I was just trying to relate the 'map time factor' in G2 with the real life scenario back in the days of old. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean imply that our hero carried his maps, messages & scrolls in a tube.

Sylvio
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:17 pm
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What is the problem with having a goddamn map that pops up instantly and one that you can notate?

The way mapping works in game is poor design. Tedium and frustration ought not be part of gameplay, or gamedesign.

The same could be said for cooking meat, brewing potions, etc. I for one would love to be able to fry all the damn meat I have at once, or brew up a batch of 10 potions instead of having to do it 10 times in a row.

olaf
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:11 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2