hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
quote:
Originally posted by hoyp
gamespy is SO gay

Eh, Why? I noticed that at Gamespy's RPG Game of the Year voting thread, most people voting for NWN or MW, but barely anyone vote for Gothic, except a poster by the name of hoyd...

Anyway, i bet NWN would wins...

gamespy is gay because they gave arx fatalis 75%
Post Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:53 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Their review was actually pretty good tho, and convinced me to pick up AF when I see it. Especially the way they cite the Lovecraftian nature of it, Im a major Cthulu fan.They were just p.o.'ed about the supposed army of bugs that came with the game, even tho it looks to be patched up now, and let that sink the score . Too many initial release bugs definitely spoil a rating! I remember game-stopping bugs made me hate Revenant, a game I would have really liked otherwise...
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:58 am
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

8. Lazy NPCs

RPGs are commonly populated with single-minded people who stand in the same place all day and dispense pretty much useless background information. Don't these people have homes? Lives? Hobbies? Desires? More than two frames of animation?

Here's an example:
My home is Pravoka, a beautiful port city far east of here.

Oh yeah? Well, if Pravoka is so friggin' great, what are you doing hanging around this dump? Are you looking to cheat on your wife with the dancer twenty pixels away that is constantly complaining about how evil has descended upon the countryside, causing her scalp to develop a nasty waxy buildup? Why are you here? What is your name? Why are you prancing around in some skimpy red tunic? These are all questions I cannot ask. All I can do is run up to this guy, touch his stomach, and watch him spout the same spiel about how great Pravoka is over and over. LAME!

Also, these lazy bums don't exactly motivate me to save their stinking little town from the forces of darkness. All they do is wander around in patterns all day and bitch about how bad things are. Don't you think at least a couple of them could drag their asses to the sword shop, go outside the city walls, and kill some monsters their own damn selves? Oh no, they'd rather wait around for some "noble warrior" to do all the dirty work for them. And once you do, how do they reward you? They're all like "oh thank ye" and "rock on!" No parades, no payment, no piles of merrywidows. Thanks for the encouragement, kind townspeople. That'll really help numb the pain of the massive sword wound some evil knight inflicted on me for 49 damage points.

It's sooo funny... and true so true
Post Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:21 am
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

@Fire Ant sorry what yiou were talking about???
Yeah it's true cause I've been playing Final Fantasy 2 and thats what always happens WHY???? But thats no reason to stop playing RPGs.
Post Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:49 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

With few exceptions from game to game... every single point is true. That's what makes it funny.

Doesn't mean we'll stop playing, though. Hell... I've been playing MOO2 for years upon years to kill time when everyone knows to destroy the game on impossible all you have to do is customize a race and select unified, subterrainian, +2 industry, large homeworld, low g, -20 ground combat, -20 spying OR tolerant, unified, +1 industry, large homeworld, low g, -20 ground combat, -20 spying.... and spend the first 30 turns building colony bases and outpost ships. By the time you hit the first computer player you've got 10 star systems 'marked' for colonization... make peace with thine neighbors until you have those systems colonized and... the game is over.

Point is a) I play too much MOO2 when bored b) RPG players are oblivious to the inherrant flaws of the genre, which is how it stays alive

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:00 pm
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

Uh, WHY O WHY is it considered completely acceptable to use the word "gay" to mean "bad"? Ahem.

I'll bet phrases like, "That is SO Negro," "I hated that stupid game. It was so . . . so MUSLIM," would not be tolerated here.

Hello, moderators? Is it your intention that gay RPG lovers not feel welcome here?
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:27 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I've told a couple people not to use that phrase to mean something dumb if I caught them doing it in Off-Topic. I guess I haven't gotten around to hoyp yet.

@hoyp: Do not use "gay" in that way. Unless you're trying to say that Gamespy makes you happy (since that's the original meaning of the word), then that would be fine, but otherwise please refrain using the word in a negative connotation such as the one you used. Thank you.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:57 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2