Orc fighting question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Orc fighting question

Does anyone know what the resistances of each type of Orc are? I'm trying to work out what the best spell to use on them is. My two best attack spells are fireball and ice lance. The former does magical damage, the latter does regular damage. To my eye the ice lance spell seems to be more effective although Orc Shamans seem to take a lot more hammering to kill.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:02 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Here goes, I don't know if you play NotR or not so here are both:

Night of the raven:
  • Orc Elite and Orc Warlord and Orc Commander:
    blunt 160, sharp 160, arrow 160, fire 160, magic 100, whirl 160
  • Orc Warrior:
    blunt 150, sharp 150, arrow 150, fire 150, magic 20, whirl 150
  • Orc Shaman:
    blunt 130, sharp 130, arrow 130, fire 130, magic 65, whirl 130
  • Orc Scout:
    blunt 75, sharp 75, arrow 75, fire 75, magic 20, whirl 75
  • Undead Orc:
    blunt 150, sharp 150, arrow 150, fire 150, magic 0, whirl 150

Gothic 2:
  • Orc Elite and Orc Warlord and Orc Commander:
    blunt 80, sharp 80, arrow 80, fire 80, magic 40, whirl 80
  • Orc Warrior:
    blunt 60, sharp 60, arrow 60, fire 60, magic 0, whirl 60
  • Orc Shaman:
    blunt 30, sharp 30, arrow 30, fire 30, magic 65, whirl 30
  • Orc Scout:
    blunt 60, sharp 60, arrow 60, fire 0, magic 0, whirl 0
  • Undead Orc:
    blunt 60, sharp 60, arrow 60, fire 60, magic 60, whirl 60

Note:
The division in types of damage is a very general one. As the hero you can't do all kinds of damage. Fire damage is only done by Fire Lizards and Dragons. All fire spells do MAGIC damage. You can do whirl damage with for example Wind Fist.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:52 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Against seekers (and many other) fireball is 25% weaker than icespear but seems to do much less damage, wrong feeling?
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:39 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

So for the warriors I'd be better using fireballs as they have no magical resistance while the shamans are more vulnerable to ice lance. I really need chapter 3 to start - then I can send out skeletons to do my bidding.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:07 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A small hint: keep a save in the castle when you want to leave the valley of mines.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:04 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Odd, I still must be missing something. After some checking I'm positive the ice lance spell is more effective on Orc warriors than the fireball spell. I'm now back in the main section and am trying to fight the Seekers. They are fairly annoying for a magic user. About the most effective trick I've found is to send in two or three skeletons to hack them to bits. Fireball barely even singes them, ice lance works better but still takes a lot of hits to kill them. I took the ball lightning spell thinking it would be more effective against them since it can do higher standard damage. For some reason it seems to do no damage to Seekers at all - not that it's easy to use against them since you have to stand still to charge up the spell. Using skeletons chews up a lot of mana - I'm close to becoming a mana potion addict. I couldn't use them to rescue Vino though - if I gate in anything he attacks it as well.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:56 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I have similar feeling and also have the feeling that fire protection works agaisnt fire spells of seekers. Ha well, I haven't done fully clear test, it's just a strong feeling.

That's perhaps a change with NOTR.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:36 pm
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

According to the mondgesaenge databank, seekers have no wind resistance; maybe windfist would be the answer here. I will try it with my next mage.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:19 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'll try the windfist spell then - doesn't that one charge as well though? Since Seekers keep on attacking with fire spells it's not a good idea for me to stand around and charge a spell up.

Speaking of fire resistance, even with my fire mage robes, an amulet of fire resistance and a ring of fire resistance I still take a lot of damage from Seeker's spells.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:43 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

If you have ice block you should give it a try. Of course you can use melee after you freeze them, but you can use magic as well. At least then you are not getting shot at by them while a spell is charging.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:59 am
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, two strong blasts from wind fist takes out a Seeker - but that chews up nearly all of my mana reserves. I don't have ice block and since I'm back in the mines I'm not aiming to get it again.

I've rapidly become disillusioned with the mage class. I went to a fair amount of trouble to track down a stone golem in order to get what I needed for the summon golem spell. Much to my surprise, the summon skeleton spell is better in many ways. The golen isn't bad as a meat/rock shield on some cases but skeletons and orcs will annihilate them.

I'm also really sick of sucking down mana potions after every enemy or two killed. I'm often low on gold because I spend so much on mana potions.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:07 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Hang in there. Once you can get spells like Rain of Fire and the ungodly Wave of Death, you start to strut Army of Darkness will also become your bestest friend. lol

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:17 am
VPeric
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Hey, I'm a merc, and I too down potions every few enemies. Well, expect wolves and such, but you get the point.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:47 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Rain of Fire and Wave of Death are both sixth circle spells. So is Army of Darkness. You can get them in chapter 5 but that's no help for chapter 4 when you have dragons to kill. I didn't try absolutely everything but I found magic to be worthless against the dragons. Nothing seemed to hurt them - even summoned skeletons and golems barely seemed to scratch them. Speaking of golems, magic doesn't seem to do much against ice golems either. Fire golems can be taken out with ice lances but ice golems are barely hurt by anything.

The last straw was after I kiled a stone golem (the one near Xardas' old tower) then teleported back to the castle and made up the summon golem rune. I went outside intending to unleash golem fury on the orcs. I gated in two golems, and they immediately began pounding on each other. I reloaded and gated in a single golem but the orcs just pound the crap out of it. Short of using up a whole lot of mana potions or repeated resting there was no way I was going to take out any decent numbers of orcs.

Finally I gave up. I activated Marvin mode, created a heap of strength enhancing potions, called in the character helper and have myself 150 learning points and trained up in 2 Handed combat. I still use magic against some enemies like harpies but otherwise I find hand to hand weapons to be much more reliable.

IMHO, the one thing that the magician class really needed to balance things out it some way of regenerating mana over time without resting. Far too many times I had to start a fight, pelt spells at an enemy then run away until I could suck down some mana potions and get back into the fight. I know you can activate hotkeys to allow fast potion usage but I was trying to play the game as it was intended. The benefits of being a magician don't outweigh the penalties IMO.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:32 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Well few advantages and disadvantages of being a mage

+ Everyone will respect your authority! you can't deny that when those paladins adress you with "sir" or "master", it feels so cool
+ the robes are the coolest
+ you get to boss people around. Hmm did i allready mention this
+ In the fifth chapter you are a walking tank. When a paladin or a dragonhunter might have some trouble with few lousy orcs, you can just walk by while the firerain takes care of the rest.
+ You will get your own private room from the monestary.
+ you can launch massive chaos from your bare fingertips
+ You get to boss people around
+ Beliar runes are cooler than the beliar's claw.

- you can't shave your head like the other mages
- your fighting skills won't match for the other guilds-
- You are a manapotion addict
- Some may say that robes are girly. (hint: burn them alive)
- Your path is the most difficult, but at the end you will get your reward.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:22 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next