Usergroups
What should the MMO genre leave behind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Bleh, one character per server sucks. I like to have more than one character on the server for legitimate roleplaying reasons. I also do not think it is much of a problem. It would create more problems than its worth because then you give the advantage to players that run two or more accounts at once. Thats BS that i should have to buy a second account just to have another character on the same server. Thats why one character per server is a bad idea.

Besides, the problems that many griefers and other types of players cause for one another are not design flaws in the game: the problem is those players themselves being in the game (being jerks). Re-design all you want, but unless you take substantial freedoms away from me (the honest player), it still isnt going to change those people -- they will always find ways around it, just like a typical thief. You can stop them up to a point: but do NOT take away my freedoms, or i will quit your game in a heartbeat (like SWG).

Penalizing me for what others have done wrong by binding my hands with cords, isnt the intelligent solution. I have the only solution, which is: i say we should leave behind all the jerks and kiddies that arent mature enough to play maturely and fairly in an online environment. As if thats going to ever happen though, heh. Unless subscription prices go waaaay up so that Dorkhead Junior is left behind to play free games like Counterstrike. Go counterstrike! Woohoo!
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:29 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

If only we could leave behind all the jerks. Any game that achieves that, I would play instantly.

I'm not sure if this goal is achievable without screening players ...and then placing them on servers appropriate to their personality types. Private run NWN mods are the closest environment to this at the moment.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:03 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm... I don't know what I want lost from the genre, but I do know what I want my perfect genre to look like.

A merge between A Tale in the Desert, Pirates of the Burning Sea and Trials of Ascention.

ToA comes close to The Dream: permadeath, no global chat or /tells, no classes, no levels, hidden skills, ecosystem (?), influential weather, no racial balance, "realistic" damage, etc. Well, it's close to The Dream because the developers set out to create the ultimate MMORPG. Main inspiration was drawn from the early UO days, but they built upon it extensively. There are still few minor things I don't like, but if they can deliver even 80% of what they promise... ToA is the future!
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:42 pm
MMOGman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1 End of classes. Just have rules about things to keep the general way of things the same way. IE magicians can't be surrounded by metal or other heavy stuff because it interferes with mana. IE rogues suffer in their skills if they wear heavy armor. And so on and so on.

2 Death should have it's consequences. Some players like there being heavy penalties for death, I am one of those people. I don't agree with permadeath, I don't see how anyone could do it right, maybe I'm wrong.

3 End of levels, more focus on skills. The great thing about UO is it does not have any classes, you essentially make up your class.

4 Less static environment. Players want to have an impact on the world. A storyline, events, something. Horizons may have not been a great success I did like their tunnel idea however.

5 Active combat. Players should be able to find ways to defeat their enemies. A certain combination of moves or skills may be just the trick for defeating certain enemies. I am not sure the MMOFPS(Planetside) style is the way to go, we need something more than just click and watch though.

6 I would like more of a focus on features than expansions. How many zones in EQ do people hardly ever go to? There are probably hundreds of zones at this point with hardly anyone in them. I mean it's great for exploration, I don't think it's necessary though. Let's see more of a focus on features. Let's see more schools of magic, alternative combat, modes of transportation(no rails), elaborate vehicles and buildings, intelligent AI, massive(hundreds of people) sieges, deep combat system, deep crafting system, etc. I've got hundreds of ideas I'd love to see in a MMOG. Honestly it's not the graphics that get me to buy a MMOG(I like Shadowbane graphics), it's the features and the way the game plays in a MMOG that really intrigues me. I don't know, maybe I'm in the extreme minority.
Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:22 pm
TheDarkside
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Looks like many of my opinions are already expressed by others, but allow me please to re-iterate:

The tired system of level treadmills and experience points is just silly. I agree with the guy above about UO- the main appeal to me when I played UO was the fact that you only improve skills by actually using them- not by fighting X amount of monsters. If you want to be better at carpentry, you don't go fighting Goblin Snoopers until you get enough skill points to put into carpentry- you actually use the skill and watch it improve!

The downside is macros- people developed very elaborate systems to automatically do certain tasks while they are away, improving their skills, while most people had to actually sit at the computer and perform things in a rather boring repetetive manner.

The solution is in some games already- allow offline training. Basically, anyone can choose to train in a skill even while they are not logged in and improve- so basicaly characters will develop over time without requiring you to do anything repetive like fight monsters or repeat a skill- instead you can actually play and enjoy the game! GASP- what a concept!
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:24 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2