RPGDot Network    

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
SW: KotOR - first impression thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

SW: KotOR - first impression thread

The game is hitting store now. Let's hear...
Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:47 am
cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

Unfortunately, its only for the US and Canada. So I won't get my hands on a copy till the end of November.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:57 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

same with me.

(the Netherlands isn't on the list for 18th or 28th. but we are the neighbour country of Germany, so will it be released here too?)
Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:52 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have a P4 1.7gig 512 Ram Nvidia 5200, and I'm having problems getting the game to run smoothly. At some times I will be locked in running position but I'm not moving, the NPCs are moving around at normal speed. Or I is like an online game, it will lock up for 30-40 seconds, and come back up with my character in another part of the map. I am looking for updated drivers right now. The game has a few bugs, every so often it wont let me zone into the city until I walk back over the trigger, and my movement keys seem to repeatedly come unresponsive until I talk to someone. Game play is something I can't comment on yet, as I have seen very little of the game so far.
LB
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:57 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Disabliing sound fixed the problem, its a bit sluggish though. Looks like it didn't like sound set to EAX 3 in the game, plays with sound set to EAX 2 without the wierd pauses (I have a Audigy 2 card).
LB
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:33 am
amos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

OK, this is a real first impression because I've barely begun the game. I've made it through character generation. A reasonable selelction of attributes, I didn't like the faces. Got into the first level, its a training level of sorts. Its kind of odd because the level has a real sense of urgency, but you're constantly stopping to learn new things. I'm picking up the control system fairly quickly. Lots of keys and things to remember, but I bet it becomes second nature after a few sessions.

The game runs well on my system, I'm getting framerates in the 30s at 16x12 with 2xAA and 8xAF. That may drop as I haven't gotten into any large areas yet.

Update:
I've gotten to the planet, and now my framerates get to be in the teens when I move out into the city. I found that the framerates did not go up considerably when I turned off AA. I still hovered at about 20. I will say that despite those framerates it seemed very smooth. I did a lot of spinning around and even engaged in a fight.

I originally was a little concerned about the fighting system. Most of the other RPGs I've played have had you actually swinging the sword, or shooting the arrow/gun. The only other way I'd done it was a slow drawn out round selection process (Anachronox) which wsa ok, but slow. So far I like the system. It doesn't make me actually aim the weapon or do the combo, which for me is a plus, and things still progress quickly. I never did get very good at the quick sequences to invoke good swordplay in any of the other games where it mattered (Jedi Knight 2 for instance) and that sort of detracted from the game. I think the combat here will suit me just fine

This is my last update to "first impressions" because after this they'll be second impressions
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:08 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

If you're actually running the game on the system you have posted(AMD64 3200+, DDR400, 9700 pro) then there's no way you should be getting only 20 frames per second.
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:33 am
amos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You did notice that I said I was running it at 1600x1200 resolution with 2xAA,8xAF? Yes, that is my system and that is my framerate, when I'm in the city with lots of NPCs around. In confined spaces it is a good bit higher. I also was reporting the lowest framerates I saw using FRAPs. Depending on which way I was facing I could get higher rates. I also have now played with "shadows" turning them off gives me about a 20-25% framerate boost. Similar to what I get turning off AA.
One last thing, my system has an Nforce3 based motherboard, and I hear that doesn't have quite the AGP bandwidth as the Via chipset (but it might be a bit more overclockable).

One second impression. The first level also had me a bit worried because it was so linear. Its just training. Once you get done with that it is much more open.
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:48 pm
Arramoor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My first impression...

I played a little bit of the SW: KoToR on the Xbox and liked what I had seen, but it lacked the type of controls and options you would normally find on a PC based RPG so I decided to wait...and boy am I happy I did. Bioware did a great, no a fantastic job, of porting the Xbox game over to the PC.

It is much easier to navigate the GUI now, just point and click with the mouse. It is much easier to manuever your character in game and you can now even rotate about your character when the game pauses before a critical event such as combat, which can help immensly to determine the best course of action.

Graphics have improved a lot from the Xbox version. I run with max graphics, shadows, AA, the whole shabang - at 1024X768 and am getting 60fps or better everywhere I go.

I like the system they have in game for character development, almost identical to the system used in Never Winter Nights; so if you have played NWN you'll find character development a snap.

The only draw back that I can see is that your character has no means of jumping. No biggy really, but I was hoping to encounter some places in game where it would be necessary to perform some great leap or forward flip like in the JK series of games(the Jedi Tomb in JK:Academy was a lot of fun because of the jumping).

I am very pleased with SW: KoToR for the PS so far. Great game.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:32 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

My first imppression is that the game is RPG-light, but good and very addictive. Some spoilers follow.

The bad:
Not much choice for customization. Combat is way to easy. Game is choppy, buggy, crashy, and slow even with all the graphics turned all the way down on a p4 1.8 400fsb, 512ram, gf 4200 ti 128 8x agp sytem. Characters not in your party gain experience like they were. Can switch party members instantly in a lot of areas (if you need a skill current members are deficient in). For some reason melee feats do not transfer over to skill w/ lightsaber. The manual is crap. I'm 3/4th of the way to max lvl just over 20 hours into the game (and just started 4th world, did taris, dantoon, tatooine, and I just got to yavin). Combat is very tactics-light unless you are retarded (I have read alot of posts on their forums of people having a real tough time w/ combat, I have had to restart only 4 times because of being whipped out). Characters do not die, the get knocked out so if one person lives through combat they all do, and even get xp for it. The modding options for equiptment is very light, lightsabers are better though (if you have a moddable gun you connot get better mods, only 4 generic mods, swords give you 3 generic mods, and armor 2). The implant options are very weak so far. And the story line is very linear (it is open but linear--it's hard to explain).

The good:
The game is addictive as hell. It is fun in a non-thinking kind of way. You just play and things happen, instead of you putting thought into solving the puzzle--just play and the puzzle is solved for you. Thinking is definitly not a requirment so far, but it is still fun and relaxing. Besides my wife being very mad at me for trying to play to much, and if you have a wife that likes to talk and "hang" out yours will also (if you are not married try to marry a woman that is quiet and likes to keep to herself). The minigames are fun and challenging (for my at least since I'm uncoordinated). The maps are small and easy to explore and clear. I have to clear every koock and crany so this is great for me. The game is simple and at no time will you feel overwelmed or confused about what to do next. With the maps being small and easily explorible the game doesn't drag or become a chore. And the combat being so easy and simple makes sure that combat isn't a chore either, and since the maps have been small for me so far and each area has different mobs to fight so their is something new around each corner and if it starts getting repetitive at least you know there will be something new soon you might have to alter your tactics for. The characters are interesting and have character. The whole games seems to resolve around the idea of simplicity, but unlike DS it isn't boring. I think anyone that plays it will like it. I just hope it's popularity will not start a trend of rpgs that 4 year olds and retards can play. People say its more like IE games than anything else but i don't see it. Its features and rpg-lightness seem like something i wouldn't like, but i diffenitly like it a lot. I think i will like FO3 better but who knows?

I think its definitly worth buying, expecially if your computer will take it. Even people with supercomputers are having big problems playing it. But even with the problems its worth buying I believe. Sometimes simple can be the most fun like qfg and Arx fatalis.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:45 pm
Bopoxdren
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I haven't enjoyed a game as much as this since playing the Crusader No Remorse games way back when (my favorite game besides bf1942) Gameplay is extremely enjoyable and satisfying and progression through the plot is a smooth and rich experience. The gameplay and combat is not too hard but there's enough challenge to keep you glued to your chair for hours on end plugging away at the plot. I've played today since eight o'clock this morning until midnight with only a few coffee breaks and one cigarett run out of the house. I can't remember the last time I did that. The story is superb in my opinion and the character development is top notch... not to mention the acting. Full voiceover.

I ran into the 93% install bug at first but fear not, it is only a bad batch of disks that were sent out and all you have to do is return for another copy if you are unfortunate enough to get one of those bad copies to get past that problem. I also needed the beta patch for the sound slow down problem but after the patch I've had nothing but smooth play.

I highly recommend this game to anybody looking for a fun, addictive RPG with excellent gameplay, story and character generation. Enjoy.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:52 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

KotOR is the best single player RPG since Baldur's Gate series by Bioware.

In short, the game contains very good music and sound effects, great voice acting and directing, above average graphics, and i am sure that most people will find the control scheme are easy enough.

While the story and theme is acceptable (no much in originality), i think the structure of the plot is very good if not excellent. Beside some twist and turn (become more interesting near the end), the developer also weaving good branching plots (subquest) into main story (main quest). The subquests are interesting and good for earning extra experience points or money, although it's not necessary to finish them. They at least provide some non-linearity if you haven't touch that particular subquest first time around. A different class also open up rather different solution in finishing certain side quests.

If you prefer or satisfy with the combat in NWN, then you would like the semi turn-based combat in KotOR too. You can micromanaging during combat session if you want, like select preferable feats, weapons, using items, positioning party members, pausing, etc.

Bioware also did pretty well on the party system (consist of three peoples including you). Most your followers have interesting personality, background and past story, some would giving their opinions during quest, or talking to another follower.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:28 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

According to EB, the game was supposed to be released here yesterday, but when I went there today, they told me it's been delayed at least a week!! What else is new!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:47 am
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: SW: KotOR - first impression thread

After playing this game over weekend, here's some first impressions:

+ graphics with 8xAF enabled
+ rich storyline
+ nice alien races and worlds with interesting mythology and history (e.g. the sand people storyteller is impressive)
+ versatile game with adventure, strategic battles or action, sneaking and hacking, cinematic parts, space shooting, swoop racing and card gaming.

- linear hack&slash game, extremely limited playing areas (Morrowind or Gothic have much more non-linear and free game world)
- inventory is clumsy, difficult to find some items, notes etc when you need them.
- so much important discussions almost all the time, that sometimes it gets boring.

edit AA->AF...
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:46 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

A positive first impression Id like to give is...

The party system they came up with is great. This is how nwn should have been made. What a great game nwn would have been if they had.

You are in control of one character at a time, and the other ones have a script you edit in their character screen. Switch back and forth during a combat on their portraits.

Combat is bg style pause agive orders, then real time. however, your guys dont just sit there when they are done killing one guy, they move on to the next guy. like you always wished they did in IE games.
The story is great, you are part of a movie quality star wars film.

A negative is the the in game graphics are pretty out of date. Areas load in blocks that are even smaller than nwn. I would bet this is side effect of being a x box game.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:03 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next